RTH???

Reaction score
I was out flying earlier. I went up pretty high and it was to far away for me to see the p4 so I hit the RTH. I wasn't paying attention to it cause it took forever to get back but I could see it was coming back so I just let it do its thing. When I noticed it had landed I went over to where it launched and It wasn't there. I didn't see it right away. I started to get worried and then I saw it. It was probably 75 feet from where it launched. Fortunately I launched in an open area but it landed so far away that it almost came down on a tree. It wasn't 20 feet away from a tree. I got lucky. So I'm guessing that it's time for a compass calibration?

Probably wouldn't hurt anything but mine always lands within 2-3 feet from where it takes off from.

Did you wait for the HP to be recorded before you took off and fly in P-GPS mode, otherwise it may have recorded it further in the flight after enough satellites had been locked onto. You would normally receive a message regarding compass calibration required unless your last calibration was done in a steel, electrical inteference riddled area.

I was out flying earlier. I went up pretty high and it was to far away for me to see the p4 so I hit the RTH. I wasn't paying attention to it cause it took forever to get back but I could see it was coming back so I just let it do its thing. When I noticed it had landed I went over to where it launched and It wasn't there. I didn't see it right away. I started to get worried and then I saw it. It was probably 75 feet from where it launched. Fortunately I launched in an open area but it landed so far away that it almost came down on a tree. It wasn't 20 feet away from a tree. I got lucky. So I'm guessing that it's time for a compass calibration?
Yip always wait for home point to be set:)

Yes it was out from my original flight path but it had sat in that spot for probably 5-10 minutes. I launched from a bad spot so I flew over to a wide open area and sat it down and I left it there powered up while I was talking to somebody. I launched again several minutes later. I did flip the switch from sport mode to P while it was in RTH. That canceled the RTH and I had to restart RTH. I looked at my system health last night and everything was in the green. May have just been a fluke. Every other time I've hit RTH it landed inches from where it launched.

I'll defiantly watch it land from how on. That's two close calls in two days. Lol

Yes it was out from my original flight path but it had sat in that spot for probably 5-10 minutes. I launched from a bad spot so I flew over to a wide open area and sat it down and I left it there powered up while I was talking to somebody. I launched again several minutes later. I did flip the switch from sport mode to P while it was in RTH. That canceled the RTH and I had to restart RTH. I looked at my system health last night and everything was in the green. May have just been a fluke. Every other time I've hit RTH it landed inches from where it launched.
Ummm, so you set your HP in one spot, moved to another spot later without resetting your new HP. Did it RTH to your original spot, sorry it sounds like a HP issue and not a fault with your RTH settings.

That's the explanation then - you originally launched it before it had a home point. It acquired a home point while sitting at the other location, so that is where it returned to on RTH. You need to wait until it tells you that the home point has been set before taking off. Or, at a pinch, you can launch from a location with poor GPS and take it straight up until it acquires the home point directly above the launch location - then it will still return to the launch point if RTH is initiated.

Mine resets the RTH spot every time I launch. Where it landed was actually about 300 feet farther from where it launched the first time. up. It landed nowhere near the original spot

He did indicate he hadn't cut the motors when he landed in the other spot so I wouldn't expect home point to be reset.

When I set it down after my first launch it was in a wide open spot, plenty of GPS sats. I can't remember if it said that it set the home point but normally it tells me that the home point has been set every time I start up the props even if I set it down and take off from a different place my home point is reset to the spot I most recently launched from. I always kill the props when I land do when I take off it rests the home point to that location.

Last edited:
He did indicate he hadn't cut the motors when he landed in the other spot so I wouldn't expect home point to be reset.

I did shut it down. I was talking to someone so I just landed and shut it down but I didn't turn it off at the battery.

Yup, that resets the home point. It gets set every time you start props and take off.
You can override after that and set home point to your RC location via the GPS in your tablet, assuming it has one. WiFi only iOS tends to not have GPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan