RTH, what if?

Reaction score
Imagine t/o is on top a cliff or steep large hill (or similar), you t/o and fly down (maybe 500 feet). If you press RTH presumably the P4 rise rise to the occasion and make its way back up to the correct altitude/position and land? In a similar situation if you landed 500 feet below and kept the props running as the recorded t/o point was where you originally took off would t/o again and then return if you pressed RTH?

If you press RTH presumably the P4 rise rise to the occasion and make its way back up to the correct altitude/position and land?
When you fly below the takeoff location, the altitude will then be negative. If RTH is activated and the altitude is negative, your Phantom will ascend up to zero feet and then ascend up to your set RTH altitude. Once at the RTH altitude, it'll start flying back to the home point.

In a similar situation if you landed 500 feet below and kept the props running as the recorded t/o point was where you originally took off would t/o again and then return if you pressed RTH?
The home point does not automatically change after takeoff. You'd have to manually reset it in DJI GO if you wanted it to be updated in this scenario.

Thanks for that, what a crazy machine 'YaHoo!' that reassurance makes me grin with amazement and pleasure.

Just to be fully clear on my second scenario above, with the home point being set as the T/O point on top the cliff/hill pressing RTO after landing below (props running) would initiate a t/o, altitude gain (vertically) and return?

Just to be fully clear on my second scenario above, with the home point being set as the T/O point on top the cliff/hill pressing RTO after landing below (props running) would initiate a t/o, altitude gain (vertically) and return?
I don't know if the Phantom will attempt to RTH after landing below the cliff. That would no doubt be on my list of things nobody will ever need to do, but give it a shot and see what happens. It's either going to take off and RTH or just sit there on the ground.

FYI, I'm assuming "t/o" = "takeoff" and "RTO" = "RTH" (return to home). I just want to make sure we're all on the same page since you're using shorthands not commonly used in this forum.

Thanks for the quick reply.

RTO is a typo on my part 'sorry' ,yes RTH. & T/O take-off.

Regarding the 'give it a shot', that could be an adventure! (I was just wondering what would happen), maybe filming young birds (with feathers!) on the beach. Landing was only a possibility on my mind not a 'must do'.

If it does not RTH after landing, you could manually take off again and then initiate RTH. Or, just manually fly back to the home point.

Thanks again.

Being 'long in the tooth' I have to borrow a phrase for a later generation, this thing is 'so dam cool!'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers