RTH Questions

Reaction score
Hello All !

I have a question about the RTH (or failsafe mode) feature...

How or when is this set and how do I turn it on when in Phantom mode?

I was flying the other day and I lost the phantom in the sun and was wondering how to get it to return to me without turning off the transmitter. As an example, if I go to a park, insert the battery and calibrate the compass, how/when is the return home feature spot registered on the phantom? Then if I go to another park about 3 miles away, insert a new battery, calibrate the compass there, when/how does the Phantom register the new home position? If I go to the second park, and do not calibrate the compass, does it register the new take off spot or does it use the return position of the first parks calibration spot?

Or should I just use the s2 switch to manually set the new home position when I arrive at a new location? (I have a P2+ ver 3)

Again Thanks in advance to all !

Hello All !

I have a question about the RTH (or failsafe mode) feature...

How or when is this set and how do I turn it on when in Phantom mode?

I was flying the other day and I lost the phantom in the sun and was wondering how to get it to return to me without turning off the transmitter. As an example, if I go to a park, insert the battery and calibrate the compass, how/when is the return home feature spot registered on the phantom? Then if I go to another park about 3 miles away, insert a new battery, calibrate the compass there, when/how does the Phantom register the new home position? If I go to the second park, and do not calibrate the compass, does it register the new take off spot or does it use the return position of the first parks calibration spot?

Or should I just use the s2 switch to manually set the new home position when I arrive at a new location? (I have a P2+ ver 3)

Again Thanks in advance to all !

In Phantom mode, the only way the operator can engage RTH is by turning off the Tx.

Learn never to fly in front of the sun.

The Home Location is stored upon take off. Every take-off is a new Home location. Wherever you take-off from it will return to.
However you must first wait for the LED or OSD indication that you have 6 or more sats.

Generally there's no need to calibrate compass at every site.

Be wary of magnetic sources in your car such as audio speakers.

Part of a good flight plan is to hover after take-off to verify proper operation.

Soon move to Naza mode so you an use Home Lock to solve the issue of bringing it back when you lose orientation.

NO17RW

Thank You for the reply...

I watched this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and I am going to try his method but I am unsure if he is in NAZA mode or Phantom Mode.. I know it is an older version of the phantom but I guess it will work the same on mine. Until I learn to fly, I prefer to fly in Phantom Mode.

There are a lot of high trees in our area so I have the RTH height set a 100' and I think with his method the phantom flys home at whatever altitude it is at when HL in engaged which could be a problem, which is why I would like to use the auto RTH feature until I get more flights under my belt. I have flown only 8 times and still have max altitude set at 200' and try to keep the phantom in sight at all times. The sun issue (which we rarely see !) sort of came as a surprise, but an issue I would like to be prepared for. I hope my reasoning is correct.

Thanks Again!

I would just start out by using Naza mode. Naza mode has more failsafe to it. Like Home Lock and RTH feature. Don't go far or high until you learn all features and how to fly. You have been warned !

With S1 and S2 in the top positions, your Phantom will fly like it's in Phantom mode. So, you don't have to use the additional features provided by Naza mode if you don't want to. The advantage is that you can use them if you get into trouble and need to RTH, switch to ATTI to disable GPS, etc.

Ok... so what you both are saying is that I have to be in Naza mode to use the s2 switch for HL and CL

Correct.

OK Thanks Again ! There is more to this than just opening a box and having fun !

Whoa!

You got it.

LOTS to learn, you'll find it here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic