RTH Question

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just traded in my P3S for the P3P. :)
Question if I may regarding the RTH feature.....
Let's say I properly set up "home" at the point of take off and let's say that point is at Elevation 0. I take off and then fly off down a valley and let's say elevation drops down in that valley and now my AC is at elevation -200, I.E. 200' lower in elevation than where I took off from. I get out a ways and let's say I need to hit the RTH button on the remote and let's say i have the return home elevation set up to cruise at 300' elevation from "home.". So am I correct that if I hit RTH when the AC is at -200 and the RTH is set up to fly the AC at 300', will that mean that the AC will rise to be 300' above the -200 point of elevation I hit RTH from OR will it go up from -200 point back up to 0 (same elevation as HOME) but then rise 300' in elevation up from there since RTH elevation is set to 300'??
Reason I ask is I am getting ready to go do some flying up in the mountains so I want to make sure I understand how RTH acts/reacts as the AC elevation changes below my HOME point elevation. I get that if I fly towards a mountain that I can't go more than 400' above my HOME point but I am not sure how RTH responds when the AC is at an elevation that is significantly below HOME. I'd hate to hit RTH or loose signal and have the auto RTH sequence begin only to have it fly into the trees bc it started too low a point from HOME.

Thanks!

Your Phantom would rise up to 0' and then another 300' before returning home.

Hi All,
I just traded in my P3S for the P3P. :)
Question if I may regarding the RTH feature.....
Let's say I properly set up "home" at the point of take off and let's say that point is at Elevation 0. I take off and then fly off down a valley and let's say elevation drops down in that valley and now my AC is at elevation -200, I.E. 200' lower in elevation than where I took off from. I get out a ways and let's say I need to hit the RTH button on the remote and let's say i have the return home elevation set up to cruise at 300' elevation from "home.". So am I correct that if I hit RTH when the AC is at -200 and the RTH is set up to fly the AC at 300', will that mean that the AC will rise to be 300' above the -200 point of elevation I hit RTH from OR will it go up from -200 point back up to 0 (same elevation as HOME) but then rise 300' in elevation up from there since RTH elevation is set to 300'??
Reason I ask is I am getting ready to go do some flying up in the mountains so I want to make sure I understand how RTH acts/reacts as the AC elevation changes below my HOME point elevation. I get that if I fly towards a mountain that I can't go more than 400' above my HOME point but I am not sure how RTH responds when the AC is at an elevation that is significantly below HOME. I'd hate to hit RTH or loose signal and have the auto RTH sequence begin only to have it fly into the trees bc it started too low a point from HOME.

Thanks!

Don't take this as if I'm spreading doubt. But this is what I would do myself....I would test this once setup in the area you plan to fly. Always remember that you can cancel RTH at anytime by pressing the button on the R/C. Meaning that if during your testing should you need to abort for whatever the reason, you will have that option to cancel.

The best part about running this test will be that it should help with you getting to better know your aircraft.

I get that if I fly towards a mountain that I can't go more than 400' above my HOME point
The only thing stopping you going more than 400 feet above your home point would be a Max Altitude setting that you can change or switch off.
There are no regulations regarding height above home point.
Regulations are related to height above the ground below your aircraft.

The only thing stopping you going more than 400 feet above your home point would be a Max Altitude setting that you can change or switch off.
There are no regulations regarding height above home point.
Regulations are related to height above the ground below your aircraft.

I'm not positive but I think there was a revision that the altitude is now based on structures below or around the area. Say you were above a 10 story building, the altitude would be taken from the point of the roof of that building. Then again this now may only apply to those with a license?

there was a revision that the altitude is now based on structures below or around the area. Say you were above a 10 story building, the altitude would be taken from the point of the roof of that building. Then again this now may only apply to those with a license?
Part 107 only applies to pilots flying commercially. The FAA still wants hobbyists to stay below 400 feet AGL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav