RTH question.

C

Crack The Sky

I've poked around here and not found my answer. I would re-read the Owner's manual but the cat is sound asleep on it right now. Forgive me if this has been hashed out before.
Having never had to use RTH, (and hope to never have to). I need it clear in my mind what I can expect if it comes into play. If I set RTH to 150' to clear all trees on return, (I think the RTH height setting is based on the take-off point), and have to initiate it, will the drone climb immediately, vertically, to and maintain the 150' all the way back until it is over the T.O. point, and then descend vertically from the 150' ? Or does it get near, the T.O. point and begin a gradual inclined descent, (like an airplane on approach to landing)? And, I can cancel RTH by pushing the RTH button, correct?

RTH can be cancelled on the app or by momentarily changing the flight mode (P-GPS to Attica and back).

I have used it by triggering it, loss of communication and low battery. It will stop, pause, then climb to set altitude. It will then come on a direct path back to the home point. Again pause and begin its decent.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
It will ascend to 150 feet, fly direct back and descend straight down. If you are over 150 feet when you trigger the RTH, it will maintain that altitude, fly direct back, and descend straight down.
Thank you so much. Just didn't want any surprises.

I have used it by triggering it, loss of communication and low battery. It will stop, pause, then climb to set altitude. It will then come on a direct path back to the home point. Again pause and begin its decent.
Neil Armstrong would have given his right *** for that technology on his moon landing. Thank you

Reactions: LooNTooNs
Having never had to use RTH, (and hope to never have to)....
I strongly recommend that you periodically initiate RTH for a few reasons.
1) To make sure it is set up properly and working.
2) So you will know how the AC behaves under its influence.
You can opt out of it at any point providing you do in fact have signal and it has not initiated RTH on its own due to a signal loss. Bear in mind, that if the AC is within 65 feet of take off point it will simply land where it is. Always wait to hear that home point has been recorded anytime you fly. Otherwise it can record any point during the flight, usually wherever it finally makes GPS contact.
I am amazed of the accuracy of GPS. Usually, when I test RTH it lands within 3 feet of where it took off from.

I strongly recommend that you periodically initiate RTH for a few reasons.
1) To make sure it is set up properly and working.
2) So you will know how the AC behaves under its influence.
You can opt out of it at any point providing you do in fact have signal and it has not initiated RTH on its own due to a signal loss. Bear in mind, that if the AC is within 65 feet of take off point it will simply land where it is. Always wait to hear that home point has been recorded anytime you fly. Otherwise it can record any point during the flight, usually wherever it finally makes GPS contact.
I am amazed of the accuracy of GPS. Usually, when I test RTH it lands within 3 feet of where it took off from.
Excellent recommendations and clarification. Thank you very much.

Having never had to use RTH, (and hope to never have to).
RTH is probably the most important section of the manual to understand and every user should practice with RTH to know how to initiate it, what it does and how it does it as well as how to cancel it and resume control.
Thank you so much. Just didn't want any surprises.
The day you need RTH is the worst day to start learning how it works.
There have been reports of flyers not knowing how to use the button to start RTH or pushing it a few times and not knowing they cancelled RTH.
There was one report of someone thinking their Phantom was flying away when it started climbing, using CSC and crashing their Phantom.
The best way to avoid nasty surprises is to become familiar with RTH.
And it's not just for emergencies.
It's a great tool to use in some ordinary flights too.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
RTH is probably the most important section of the manual to understand and every user should practice with RTH to know how to initiate it, what it does and how it does it as well as how to cancel it and resume control.

The day you need RTH is the worst day to start learning how it works.
There have been reports of flyers not knowing how to use the button to start RTH or pushing it a few times and not knowing they cancelled RTH.
There was one report of someone thinking their Phantom was flying away when it started climbing, using CSC and crashing their Phantom.
The best way to avoid nasty surprises is to become familiar with RTH.
And it's not just for emergencies.
It's a great tool to use in some ordinary flights too.
Thank you. I am going to heed your words of wisdom. The rain has stopped and the wind should die off by late tonight. Tomorrow might be a great day to practice with RTH.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj