RTH Q

Reaction score
Hi

My p2 was at about 20 m and range of about 300m with i turned off receiver to instigate rth . ( phantom mode )
It tried to rise to 30 m ( this is my set height ) however it landed where it was and switched off . I had previously done this and it came back to me .
Would this be because battery was low , ? . I thought if battery got low it would rth automatically .i.e. before it self landed . ??

The AC would fly home with more than critical battery. But at critical battery it would auto-land. It apparently reached critical battery as it increased altitude during RTH.

When i brought it home and connected to pc it had charge 27 % left .

According to software my settings are

Low battery level 20 %
Critical level 17 %

This is strange therefore
I cant see option to alter them , is this possible ?

Thanks

Yes but the 27% reading is not necessarily accurate meaning it may have been something different at the time (e.g. 16%).

Or you may have an old battery that behaves oddly. I actually had a battery that auto-landed at 27% last fall with critical battery set at 15%. I immediately retired the battery.

Jump to the 14 min mark to watch it auto-land against my wishes:

Mark .

The video wont play ( DNS address could not be found )
Can I alter battery level limits in the Phantom software on the P2 . ??
Busy discharging it now to recharge .

The percentage of life for my battery says 78 % . At what level should a battery be retired ... ?

The problem on the video must be on your end.

It's probably not a good idea to decide retirement by the "percentage of life." 78% indicates a pretty full life has been lived, IMO.

It's kind of a judgment call. But when it starts behaving badly, that's a clear sign it's ready for retirement. You could test it again if you wanted, nice and low and near you.

Have held the battery button until red light flashes and shows 4 green lights indicating good cells . I get 20 mins flight out of it . Will invest in a new battery as well though

If your drone is within 20 meters of the home point and RTH is activated it will land where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Mark .

The video wont play ( DNS address could not be found )
Can I alter battery level limits in the Phantom software on the P2 . ??
Busy discharging it now to recharge .

The percentage of life for my battery says 78 % . At what level should a battery be retired ... ?

If you mean battery warning percentages the answer is no you cannot change those percentages. If you are referring to the percentage of battery again the answer is no.

If you do not have a FPV system on your P2 and flying in cold there are two reasons for it to autoland and shutdown.
1) Cold weather drains the battery quicker
2) At 300m out without FPV there is no way to tell if the battery had reached a critical low and that is why it autolanded.

Thanks Jason
Can you advise best way to set up fpv for p2 . Limited budget ( can i use phone as monitor ) , how easy is it .
I think it is a necessity

My battery warnings were set when i bought drone from previous owner

low level 20%
critical level 17 % ( i feel this is too high )

I think its wrong that we cant alter these

Thanks

Thanks Jason
Can you advise best way to set up fpv for p2 . Limited budget ( can i use phone as monitor ) , how easy is it .
I think it is a necessity

My battery warnings were set when i bought drone from previous owner

low level 20%
critical level 17 % ( i feel this is too high )

I think its wrong that we cant alter these

Thanks

When I bought mine back in 2014 I had the same thoughts about the low battery warnings and reset mine from 30% to 20% and 15% for the second warning. Now that is no longer possible. Another thing I would not use is RTH critical low battery function (leave it unchecked) as it function the same way failsafe works. Can you imagine what would happen if you were under something and RTH was triggered I'd rather see it land where it was the zoom straight up into something and damage the unit.

Now to answer your first question. FPV consist of a 5.8GHZ video transmitter, iosd and plug n play cable to connect it all together with the P2. Then to complete the system you need a diversity monitor/ receiver. But first of all I didn't see any mention of you having zenmuse gimbal or GoPro camera for your P2. Do you have those two items? Here the top manufactures of FPV 5.8GHz equipment Boscam, Immersion and Flysight. Prices very depending where and from whom you buy this equipment. What I didn't mention is that DJI designed the P2 non-vision around the GoPro and the gimbal is a plug n play system. Aftermarket gimbals/cameras are not PNP systems and require more wiring to get them to work and are far less superior to the original equipment. You get what you pay for.

If you're on a home based computer all the equipment I use is listed at the bottom in red of this reply.

Last edited:
Yes i have a Gopro 3+ black and zenmuse H3 3D gimbal fitted .

Just been out with it lights flashed red and it self landed where it was . ( about 40 feet away ) Didnot notice low warning rapid flashing lights , just seemed to go straight to slow flash red then land and cut off .

Yes i have a Gopro 3+ black and zenmuse H3 3D gimbal fitted .

Just been out with it lights flashed red and it self landed where it was . ( about 40 feet away ) Didnot notice low warning rapid flashing lights , just seemed to go straight to slow flash red then land and cut off .

Do you have the software for both rc and P2?? Which computer do you have PC or Mac? Also where do you live?

Last edited:
I have software for pc ( calibrate rc via this ) and use a pc computer . Livin in uk .

Connected it to software and % of charge left is 29 % .. This seems strange if it landed , when my low level warning is 20 % and critical 17 % .
If i buy another new battery what will the % warning levels be on that ?/ or can you set them yourself once....

I have software for pc ( calibrate rc via this ) and use a pc computer . Livin in uk .

Connected it to software and % of charge left is 29 % .. This seems strange if it landed , when my low level warning is 20 % and critical 17 % .
If i buy another new battery what will the % warning levels be on that ?/ or can you set them yourself once....

Have you ever done a advanced IMU calibration if not do so then do a compass calibration. Remember your flying in cold weather with an old battery so don't expect to get long flights with it if any at all. To check the battery in the P2 software you want to look at the current level which there are three the first being what is rated for while the other two tell the condition of the battery as in the following photos. Remember these fly on current not voltage.
Barttery #2 before charging.jpg
Barttery #2 after charging.jpg

This is new battery and of course it isn't OEM.
6000mAh Battery #8.jpg

Should have made it clear that the battery in the first an second photo are of the same battery before and after charging.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik