RTH Problems...mainly...it doesnt work

Reaction score
Guys,

I am new to the world of DJI and quads, I have had mine for roughly a month and a half.

I have a Vision Plus, updated to version 3.04 and running in Naza-M mode.

I just recently started learning all the features and was working on the IOC controls and how they work when I decided to give the RTH a try using the S1 switch.

I always wait for GPS lock, and around my house it locks with roughly 7 satellites, and while im flying it gets about 10 satellites.

Every time that I have tried RTH it starts to fly back but it completely misses the home position and just keeps on flying away. Even on the app it shows the distance incrementing instead of going down.

I have not had the testicular fortitude to to just let it go and see how far away it goes (Ive let it go up to 750ft away according to the app), I just manually flick back up to GPS mode and fly it back down.

I am afraid to try the RTH function by turning off the controller.

Ive done several advanced calibrations and compass calibrations, and I still get the same behavior.
I am actually starting to question flying without having a reliable RTH.

What do you all think?

I would guess that you didn't change the setting of the bottom position of S1 to 'failsafe', and so it is just going into ATTI mode. The default for S1, bottom position in NAZA is ATTI, same as the middle position. You have to use the software assistant and have your TX connected to the Phantom to set the S1 switch to "failsafe" for the bottom position.

If you did that, than something is really wrong assuming you have correctly recorded a home point.

Power up your Software assistant, and see what is set for the bottom position of S1... Does it say ATTI?

D86

Try this. When you have the GPS lock, start motors, then turn off motors. In Vision app, goto "find my phantom" and check that phantoms location is what you expect.

Porthos said:
Dam you're right!...I thought bottom S1 was failsafe by default!

Thanks!
cheers!!

No I was always around 200ft altitude and hovering. I would let it hover for a sec, then flip the switch, which i now know was set to atti instead of failsafe.

Once I flipped the switch it would actually start flying back as if it was coming home, which is why i thought there was an issue with the RTh function.

Am I guessing correctly that when you switch to atti and there is no directional input it will start flight back in the direction of home, just not stop until told to stop?

Thanks again Doug86...I feel like such a dork to have missed that!

Porthos said:
Am I guessing correctly that when you switch to atti and there is no directional input it will start flight back in the direction of home, just not stop until told to stop?

No, it was just drifting with the wind. ATTI mode will hold altitude and keep level, but has no idea of geographic location, as it doesn't have GPS. If you had perhaps started it towards you, I think it would drift that way for a while assuming no wind.

Hi Porthos,
No when you went into Atti mode it kept its height and would have been drifting with the wind, I'd say it was just a coincidence that it was blowing back towards you. I'd say a lot of "flyaways" are attributed to doing what you did. If someone loses sight of their bird and unknowingly put it into atti mode it would just keep going with the breeze unless you gave it stick control, but that could be moving it further away from you. Very easily done for new flyers. By having it in gps mode default s1 switch up all you'd have to do is turn off power on the transmitter and it would return home as long as you had the home point marked. Be careful using Naza-M if you are unsure at all. That could have been a lot worse.
MAL.

Know what you mean about testicular fortitude . But RTH worked for me 3 days ago. Was flying and phone said lost connection and I went into WTF mode because I could not see it anywhere. Had 2 other spotters they could not see it either. Turned the radio off and up pops a message on my phone coming home. Within 90 seconds heard it coming and it did its thing like it was suppose too landed within 10 feet from take off. Was pretty stoked since I've never used that feature before.

Glad you are sorted now porthos...I switched to atti for maybe the second time ever and couldnt believe how much the wind blew the phantom off course..
i'm gonna try flying in atti for a few minutes every time I fly now to got used to how it moves etc...
I guess we get get to comfortable with using gps as it makes it so easy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl