RTH or MANUAL mode

Reaction score
I recently programed my S1 switch to GPS-ATTI-RTH. Upon reading about the "fly away" issues out there, some folks have commented on bringing the quad back or down using MANUAL mode. I have no desire to switch to RTH just to watch it self land, only a back up option versus turning Tx off. So, do you guys think it would be smarter to program the S1 to manual? I realize the quad will handle differently in manual mode, but if its a chance to recover a fly away, I'll do it. Thanks

If you haven't flown a helicopter with limited stabilization before manual mode is going to be a challenge to control.

If you want to fly manual I would strongly recommend getting some simulator stick time before trying it out with the Phantom.

It' a tough one to answer, since there are apparently many kinds of flyaways - caused by bad GPS, bad Gyro's, or faulty RC signals (or over-riding signals).
Manual mode will only really help in the case of bad/stuck gyro's I believe.

But since you can indeed initialize RTH by shutting off the Tx (generally), if you're really concerned about recovering from such a flyaway, enabling manual mode might not be a bad idea, just so long as you don't accidentally flip the S1 switch too far.

I think it's ok to try/practice manual mode with the Phantom, so long as you're in a wide open field and well above ground.
the key is putting the Phantom in a hover prior to do so, then enable Manual mode and try to maintain altitude (it might go UP or down really fast). and then very cautiously and subtly move the right stick and yaw controls and go from there.
I've only done it a few times, and it scares the hell out of me. (but I enabled manual mode on a separate switch on my Futaba).
of course, under non-flyaway situations, the key is flipping back to GPS the moment you feel uncomfortable!

under flyaway conditions, I'd say manual mode is great for bringing the craft down in a semi-controlled manner.

I've flown RC helicopter's, and I find it harder to fly the (in my case) P2V in manual mode.
However... I've still set S1 to GPS / ATTI and Manual for just in case.

And.. If in manual mode you can let it "controlled" free fall (as you have 100% control over the P2V) till almost hitting the ground and than quickly switch to ATT mode to still maybe save it.

Some people fly in manual all the time. It requires much skill and practice. In a flyaway situation, with the old adrenalin pumping and not much of said practice I would suggest that any recovery using manual mode would result in the aircraft crashing... but crashing a lot closer to you than if it were to continue to head off into the wilderness!

I've set mine to manual. I have had experience flying micro quads which are, naturally, fully manual but I'm under no illusions that it's a "crash it close to home" kind of deal - I'd rather have that than it disappear or indeed hit something or someone while it's heading back to wherever it thinks it wants to go...

I can fly in maual mode with ease, I've been a competition 3D helicopter pilot for years. I was just wondering if "manual" mode would override a flyaway.

reALIGNed said:
I can fly in maual mode with ease, I've been a competition 3D helicopter pilot for years. I was just wondering if "manual" mode would override a flyaway.

It can IF the reason for the fly-away is due to a sensor failure. If (as many of us suspect) the problem is with a software crash in the NAZA controller manual mode will make no difference.

Pull_Up said:
From the description:
Showing how we regain control when the DJI NAZA decides to fly away. Demonstrated with Firmware version 3.12 on an S800 frame.
This had happened a few times that day during testing so we decided to film the last flight.

Got it, ty. That vid backs up my suspicion that there's two types of flyaways (and therefore at least as many causes):

1. The kind where the aircraft suddenly heads directly towards some unknown distant point that it presumably thinks is home (and that it now needs to go there for some reason, i.e. some faulty RTH trigger). Seems like these (the flyaway, the bad RTH trigger, and the incorrect home spot) could all be tied to a single-point system failure in the NAZA.

2. The kind where the aircraft flies very erratically in GPS mode (like in that vid), the net effect of which ends up being that it "flies off" in some general direction...but not tracking towards a specific location. I'd think those could be caused by either faulty data (GPS Unit failure) or faulty processing (NAZA failure).

All just speculation on my part, but I think the flyaway issue is (at least) a two-headed monster. Fortunately I've never experienced it myself, I'm just trying to apply some good ol American logicalness to the reports I've seen/heard ;)

OI Photography said:
Pull_Up said:
Top Gun!

This video is interesting re: manual/atti and flyaways:

That is indeed interesting. Did the figure 8 induce the flyaway?

I think that one was from a sensor issue and not a controller software crash.

Also speculation on my part.

LandYachtMedia said:
OI Photography said:
Pull_Up said:
Top Gun!

This video is interesting re: manual/atti and flyaways:

That is indeed interesting. Did the figure 8 induce the flyaway?

I think that one was from a sensor issue and not a controller software crash.

Also speculation on my part.

Yeah I agree, especially after reading the description on the vid. That would fit squarely in to the 2nd type of flyaways I think are happening.

reALIGNed said:

Don't you miss the tail (and rotor)?
I do as this was a reference point for me when I was flying my RC helicopter (no competition level)

Noël said:
reALIGNed said:

Don't you miss the tail (and rotor)?
I do as this was a reference point for me when I was flying my RC helicopter (no competition level)

No, not at all, its instinctive flight, easier when moving forward. I love the power of my big helicopters, ( I've had my 700 clocked at 132 mph), but hate it when they turn into lawn darts. And the Phantom........so relaxing. (My buddy flies a Blade 350QX, and he mounted a small piece of white pvc tubing to the back of his quad, just to duplicate a tail, like on his helis).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1