RTH Normal Height

Reaction score
For the people not flying in the hills etc. What height do most set the RTH setting? Do most change it depending on where they are flying that day? Do most set it to a certain height and leave it?

Just wondering?

I might of gone a little overboard and set it at 50 m. I live around old tall trees

I always set RTH altitude to about 100 ft above the tallest obstacle. If I fly in a new area, I reset my RTH altitude accordingly. My Phantom does not RTH often -- but, if it's going to happen, I want it to be well above any obstacle.

Brand new here...when I try to change the RTH altitude it resets back to 0. Any ideas?

Brand new here...when I try to change the RTH altitude it resets back to 0. Any ideas?

You need to be connected to the Phantom at the time you set it as this information is stored in the P3 itself (as RTH kicks in when the P3 is no longer getting a signal from the controller or video has been lost).

You need to have your phantom 3 on and software connected to drone.
Yeah, that threw me off on a lot of settings, when I first got my P3P. Couldn't figure out why many of my user configured "app" settings weren't being saved. These settings are actually stored on the P3P, and not in the Pilot app itself, which is why the P3P battery must be turned on to change them, and have the values saved directly onto the P3P!:cool: That way, no matter which device you use with the Pilot app as your tablet, the results will be the same, and when the app or RC disconnects, the P3P still knows what you want it to do!

Reactions: snowghost
120 meters/400 feet will usually be enough. No harm in being a lot higher than you think you might ever need, as long as you are no higher than 400 feet, where you might potentially be interfering with low flying planes and real helicopters.

For the people not flying in the hills etc. What height do most set the RTH setting? Do most change it depending on where they are flying that day? Do most set it to a certain height and leave it?

Just wondering?
Set RTH height is in my checklist, but most of the case I confirm and leave it as 50m. The highest tree don't exceed that, and recently the hight is not reliable (at 10m sometimes P3 shows 0m).
BTW, on the hill, it's AGL (above ground where P3 starts), not MSL, maybe the same.

Reactions: Flyboy
Set mine at 200 feet, still gives me LOS when it has returned and above me.

120 meters/400 feet will usually be enough. No harm in being a lot higher than you think you might ever need, as long as you are no higher than 400 feet, where you might potentially be interfering with low flying planes and real helicopters.

Only issue is if the drone is returning due to low battery. That's a lot of energy to climb and descend those extra feet. I set mine to 200 ft and might lower it if I ever get comfortable with less.

Reactions: taroh and bobmyers
Only issue is if the drone is returning due to low battery. That's a lot of energy to climb and descend those extra feet. I set mine to 200 ft and might lower it if I ever get comfortable with less.
Good point! The best number depends upon the terrain you are going to be flying over and how aggressively you exhaust your batteries before flying home. I tend to be more aggressive about the former and more conservative about the latter!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4