RTH Help

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need some advice when using RTH on the phantom 3 pro, it's happened before and again today...I like to fly long distance and today flew 14,000ft, I lost connection and my phone only gave me the option to press a Red Cross on the left of the screen, after pressing this a message popped up saying time error or something like that. The controller was not beeping and I had no navigational information of where the drone was or indeed if it was returning. Previously it returned without me doing anything further but was a much shorter distance away! This time it was nearly 3 miles out and so didn't have the time to hesitate, so I pressed the RTH on the controller which then started beeping as it does. I still didn't know where it was as the controller had lost connection with the red light on, it didn't reconnect until literally it was above me, so my question is, why doesn't the controller reconnect when the drone is on its way back? Or do I have to turn the controller off in order for it to reconnect? Or is there no way to reconnect if the distance is to far?
Any help welcome, I think I might be missing a trick here.

Cheers in advance

It sounds like the phantom did exactly as it was supposed to. You lost the connection so it returned home. Pressing RTH on the controller at that point probably did nothing because with the lost connection the bird would not have received the RTH command. Also you would have no navigational data with the lost connection.

As far as the question of why it did not reconnect when it got within range, I don't know. It should have. Also don't know what the "red cross" on the screen is. Did that red cross also have a message with it?

Last edited:
I've had a similar situation where the drone was above me having lost signal during a height test, it was coming down on RTH but was in danger of hitting trees. Changing it from P to F and back cancelled the RTH

I would not hit the RTH button if you lost control and video signal. Just wait for it to come back. The reason is, it could be already on the RTH, hitting the button could cancel it. Just a thought.

Pretty ironic, this post: I took my P3P out for a flight this weekend and got too far away. Lost connection to the bird. First time it ever happened to me! Of course because of the lost connection hitting RTH would be useless, but in a few seconds the GO app let me know the bird was in RTH mode. I had no telemetry because of the lost connection so I couldn't tell where it was at. Quite unnerving for a while to say the least, waiting (hoping) for the thing to show up. Finally after 30 seconds or so, (seemed like a lot longer!) I heard it first and then finally saw it coming home. Like your situation, even when it came obviously within range it did not reconnect!! I closed the DJI go app and reopened it. Only then did I regain control to cancel RTH and land it. I'm thinking if I hadn't thought to close and reopen the app, it would have landed by itself, maybe off by several feet in a bad spot.

It sounds like the phantom did exactly as it was supposed to. You lost the connection so it returned home. Pressing RTH on the controller at that point probably did nothing because with the lost connection the bird would not have received the RTH command. Also you would have no navigational data with the lost connection.

As far as the question of why it did not reconnect when it got within range, I don't know. It should have. Also don't know what the "red cross" on the screen is. Did that red cross also have a message with it?

The Red Cross on the scene is really an (x) to opt out of RTH when you still have video but are out of range with the TX. This happens to me every once in a while. This option to opt out of RTH will only be shown in the Go App if you still have video feed, u will also notice that the video will jump to wear to where the TX regains connection, u will also see a jump on your flight path on the map in Go App .Hope I explained that correctly...

I'm new to the Prof. RC as I had a Standard before. I tried to use the rth button on the RC the other day and nothing happened. Does it need to be held like when powering on the RC?

Page 12 of the manual. "Press and hold RTH button once to start the process." The led around the button lights when it is activated.

Pretty ironic, this post: I took my P3P out for a flight this weekend and got too far away. Lost connection to the bird. First time it ever happened to me! Of course because of the lost connection hitting RTH would be useless, but in a few seconds the GO app let me know the bird was in RTH mode. I had no telemetry because of the lost connection so I couldn't tell where it was at. Quite unnerving for a while to say the least, waiting (hoping) for the thing to show up. Finally after 30 seconds or so, (seemed like a lot longer!) I heard it first and then finally saw it coming home. Like your situation, even when it came obviously within range it did not reconnect!! I closed the DJI go app and reopened it. Only then did I regain control to cancel RTH and land it. I'm thinking if I hadn't thought to close and reopen the app, it would have landed by itself, maybe off by several feet in a bad spot.
Do you recall what the light status on the remote was when you lost signal, then when go-app reconnected?

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan