RTH height

Reaction score
Hi,
I was flying today from a high vantage point (managed to get 2.3 miles which I think is brill!) but I was concerned as to the height of the RTH.
Hopefully someone can answer this.

If you are flying from a high point (lets say 160 meter hill) and you launch to say 100 meters high and then fly forward over the lower ground. The drone is then technically 260 meters high from the ground. If the RTH then kicks in will the drone descend to 120 meters above the lower land in which case it would NOT be high enough to be able to land at the take off point. Hope this makes sense. I assume all height measurements would be in relation to the take off point?

J.

Hi,
I was flying today from a high vantage point (managed to get 2.3 miles which I think is brill!) but I was concerned as to the height of the RTH.
Hopefully someone can answer this.

If you are flying from a high point (lets say 160 meter hill) and you launch to say 100 meters high and then fly forward over the lower ground. The drone is then technically 260 meters high from the ground. If the RTH then kicks in will the drone descend to 120 meters above the lower land in which case it would NOT be high enough to be able to land at the take off point. Hope this makes sense. I assume all height measurements would be in relation to the take off point?
All heights are relative to launch point.
The Phantom will never descend to RTH.
If lower than RTH height it will climb and then RTH.
If already at or above RTH height, it will just come home.

I understand you have set RTH height as 120 m. This is always with respect to home point. I can presume it was set when you started the flight. In such a case it will rise by another 20 meters before starting its return. You should not have any issue. All references are with respect to the home point.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
All heights are relative to launch point.
The Phantom will never descend to RTH.
If lower than RTH height it will climb and then RTH.
If already at or above RTH height, it will just come home.
Hmmm....I think I read that somewhere before. Oh, wait! I found it! It's in the manual!

(Yes, I'm a smartA. Sorry.)

To the OP: The number one thing to remember is Meta4's first point. Regardless of any elevation change beneath the drone, the altitude is based on the takeoff point. It works in reverse, too. If you're flying at 100 ft. and fly toward a hill that's 200 ft. tall, you're going to hit it (unless your drone has terrain-following capabilities).

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20