RTH from a point "Before" contact was lost... DJI owes me a beer

As Scarecrow entioned, this is called Dynamic Homepoint. It's in the SDK for the P3 so 3rd party apps can allow you to move the Homepoint at any point during flight.

This is more sophisticated than dynamic homepoint. In order for this to work, you would need to rewind which means not just setting a new home point but reversing through a GPS trail. It would be multiple homepoints kept in a circular buffer that are reversed through like a waypoint mission.

Reactions: IflyinWY
This is more sophisticated than dynamic homepoint. In order for this to work, you would need to rewind which means not just setting a new home point but reversing through a GPS trail. It would be multiple homepoints kept in a circular buffer that are reversed through like a waypoint mission.

Can RTH be turned off on the P3?

Yea, what ianwood said.

The "Back up" feature could be left simply as that. The Phantom looses contact and backs up for a predetermined amount of time before initiating RTH. Taking the function any farther will complicate things quite a bit, but seems like a good option to have.

Since dynamic waypoint is already a function for some, it will be easier for the Phantom to execute and to write a program for you folks to use. Choosing how you return home is about the only additional complication I can see being added. If you haven't read and understood the manual you won't know enough to make the choice of whether to fly direct or follow the waypoints.

Each of the choices has it's advantages and disadvantages.
RTH Direct could fly you into an obstacle that you previously flew around without loosing contact with the controller for 3 or more seconds.
RTH via Waypoints could be too far for your remaining battery.

For those of us flying the P1 & FC40 without any type of "waypoint storage" it's a different story. I believe we may need to add hardware to have this ability.
Our Failsafe function has 2 choices, Land or Go-Home and Landing.

Thanks for the input folks. :)

Wow, so much over thinking on this. When I know that I am planning to fly where the tallest obstacle is higher than what I have my RTH set for, I just reset RTH to what I feel is comfortably higher than any obstacles that I might encounter, whether it be a tree, a building or a mountain. That way when it returns home, it can take the most direct route back which due to the battery not allowing unlimited flight time could save a disaster. The rewind or back track reminds me of my wife when she goes shopping. A simple trip that I might have to drive a mile to complete somehow takes her no less than double that. Go figure...

I'm guilty of overthinking. Sometimes it leads to good things! ;)

Coincidentally, this would seem pretty similar to some of the promised features on the SOLO. It will have a "replay" function which I assume is a mix of GPS waypoints, headings, speeds, and gimbal positions and easing functions.

The "rewind" capability is the same in reverse.

Wow, so much over thinking on this. When I know that I am planning to fly where the tallest obstacle is higher than what I have my RTH set for, I just reset RTH to what I feel is comfortably higher than any obstacles that I might encounter, whether it be a tree, a building or a mountain. That way when it returns home, it can take the most direct route back which due to the battery not allowing unlimited flight time could save a disaster. The rewind or back track reminds me of my wife when she goes shopping. A simple trip that I might have to drive a mile to complete somehow takes her no less than double that. Go figure...

:confused: If it doesn't interest you, I would appreciate you not posting anymore in this thread.

Thanks johnp44 :)

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but on the DJI Pilot app under Advanced setting you can select the aircraft behaviour when it loses RC communication between RTH or simply landing.
The main question is what would you want your Phantom to do when it loses communication contact with you?

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but on the DJI Pilot app under Advanced setting you can select the aircraft behaviour when it loses RC communication between RTH or simply landing.
The main question is what would you want your Phantom to do when it loses communication contact with you?

Thanks Furia, but I am flying a FC40 with a stock controller. Which Phantom are you flying? The only APP I use is to control the GoPro functions, nothing at all to do with flying of the Phantom.
I am familiar, with the failsafe functions of the FC40 and P1, as I stated at the bottom of post #23.

The whole point of starting this thread was to bounce ideas back and forth about a "Back-Up" function, or whatever everyone wants to call it.

It could possibly keep folks out of trouble by preventing RTH when the Phantom has flown behind an obstruction which it may not be programmed to fly over. In my case, the obstruction would be a mountain.

Reactions: dirkclod
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4