RTH first time

Meta, I have never seen this dialog, thanks for sharing. With this popup dialog, I'd be confused what it's trying to say. DJI should have had it simply state "No GPS signal available for the mobile device to set home point". This would be a bit easier to understand what's going on. DJI, are you listening? :p
I agree sir. Back in late May or early June when the ability to change the home point first became available on the P3, we had a lot of questions come up about that dialog box. Clear wording would have been great. I think that was also the time when people started to realize that wifi only iPads did not have GPS and would not allow the use of the new feature at all.

Lol.

I'm not digging any holes and I've said nothing wrong here.

The obvious issue is that from the phone meta4 uses, his non-GPS device won't let him set a home point from the RC but it will with an iPad mini wifi only with poor accuracy but he can't see outside himself so he thinks everyone sees what he does.

On an iPad mini without GPS, it will set a home point; a not so good one. That's all I've been saying and it is a truth.

And when I'm wrong (I'm not) I will admit it and apologize for wasting people's time.
Actually, it's interesting that you singled out @Meta4 when he wasn't the first who highlighted to you here that you were indeed wrong about setting a new home point at the RC without a GPS enabled device.

Hopefully you'll internalize what we have all been telling you and you will follow through with your promise to "admit it and apologize."

I think that all we want really is to make sure that we keep bad info out of the forum and with respect you have given bad info about a wifi only iPad's ability to set a new home point at the RC. It simply cant.

Please take it as a learning experience without taking offense.

Last edited:
Lol.
On an iPad mini without GPS, it will set a home point; a not so good one. That's all I've been saying and it is a truth.

And when I'm wrong (I'm not) I will admit it and apologize for wasting people's time.
You are mistaken, again. The Phantom's GPS is what collects the coordinates to set an accurate homepoint before take-off. You don't need GPS in the smart device to set a good homepoint before take off.

If you don't have GPS in the smart device you cannot reset the home point of the RC AFTER TAKEOFF. You'll get the dialog that Meta is showing you. Without GPS in the smart device you CAN only set home point before take-off, like everyone does automatically, using the Phantom GPS receiver.

This issue keeps going in circles. I'm signing off this circle of argument.

Last edited:
You are mistaken, again. The Phantom's GPS is what collects the coordinates to set an accurate homepoint before take-off. You don't need GPS in the smart device to set a good homepoint before take off.

If you don't have GPS in the smart device you cannot reset the home point of the RC AFTER TAKEOFF. You'll get the dialog that Meta is showing you. Without GPS in the smart device you CAN only set home point before take-off, like everyone does automatically, using the Phantom GPS receiver.

This issue keeps going in circles. I'm signing off this circle of argument.
Good god how many times do I have to say I know there is a GPS receiver in the phantom. I am saying it gives an inaccurate signal from the RC when you choose to do it.

The "debate" morphed into wheeler or not the iPad will actually set a home point when trying to from a wifi only from the RC. That is actually the only possibly point that maybe im wrong. As soon as I realized the mini didn't have a GPS reciever I went back to apple and got one that did.

This whole god **** conversation has been about NOTHING AT ALL.

Good god how many times do I have to say I know there is a GPS receiver in the phantom. I am saying it gives an inaccurate signal from the RC when you choose to do it.

The "debate" morphed into wheeler or not the iPad will actually set a home point when trying to from a wifi only from the RC. That is actually the only possibly point that maybe im wrong. As soon as I realized the mini didn't have a GPS reciever I went back to apple and got one that did.

This whole god **** conversation has been about NOTHING AT ALL.
Watch ya mouth

Reactions: henick
I am leaving so many jokes that would make you crazy on the table.

There is something wrong with anyone flying a Dixie flag in my book anyway.
Keep playing ya game and maybe you will make it to up..to..level..7

I never use rth. I keep track of the p3 with the radar screen in the lower left corner. When the triangle is pointed towards me I know how to control my sticks to bring it back home.

That's what I use Gregg but do use RTH a lot as I pretty much just fly straight out and back ,
but if you don't learn all about RTH if you drop your app no map .
I check my hp almost every time to be for sure it is set correctly with HL before I go long .
Habit from my P2 :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I won't fly unless I know the home point has been accurately set. Funny how this thread has morphed from a simple statement about being scared the first time RTH initiated. Hopefully 'level" heads will prevail.

Reactions: John Locke
I won't fly unless I know the home point has been accurately set. Funny how this thread has morphed from a simple statement about being scared the first time RTH initiated. Hopefully 'level" heads will prevail.
They have..look in OT :) Can I start over???
Things just get a little crazy here sometimes but all is good ;)

Yes, I am aware of the GPS limitations as far as accuracy but if you try to make a recording of a homepoint without a GPS receiver to where YOU (the RC) is, if you don't have a GPS receiver, you will get a much worse than 10 foot difference.

I had a near miss because of it with a telephone line and I called DJI to discuss it and this is the info that I had figured and they assured me and I asked them, "then why don't you say that on the recommended devices list".

THIS IS A FACT: If you set a homepoint to YOUR location rather than the birds, you will have a less accurate position without GPS (wifi only tablet) and no follow me and some other items are less accurate but why would you not want follow me? If you disagree, and I know yo do, let's just leave it at that? Cool, good, fist bump, hug. Grrreeattt.
Show us in the manual or another reasonably expert resource where this is true. You are again incorrect and again are starting to troll the board with your complete and total inability to 'be wrong'. You would do everyone a great favor if you would stop this behavior. See a therapist - it may cost more but it's more likely to help.

Show us in the manual or another reasonably expert resource where this is true. You are again incorrect and again are starting to troll the board with your complete and total inability to 'be wrong'. You would do everyone a great favor if you would stop this behavior. See a therapist - it may cost more but it's more likely to help.
Again ..Read this !! Can I start over???

Reactions: dirkclod
Let's all take a deep breath and step away from the computer for a minute!

I will confess: I did not read all of this lovely thread in detail. Regardless, I will say that any home point is set based on a minimum criteria for location accuracy (there are algorithms for this calculation). If that criteria is not met, no home point can be set. A WiFi only device cannot meet that criteria and therefore cannot set a home point.

Reactions: dirkclod
Let's all take a deep breath and step away from the computer for a minute
Heck Taco..I had ta take a nap :)

When I have questions as a sysadmin about something I may not fully understand, I test it. With so many intelligent technical people in one area we are bound to hit heads. I'm really surprised nobody has posted the Ha! It did this moment.

I'm assuming he means devices without gps somehow get their location via triangulation.

I'll frig with this and test it when I get off work today if for nothing else then to satisfy my own curiosity now. To hell with manuals, poor revision control almost negates their value.

I have 2 devices home, one with and one without gps. I'll see if I can reproduce this later and post the result.

When I have questions as a sysadmin about something I may not fully understand, I test it. With so many intelligent technical people in one area we are bound to hit heads. I'm really surprised nobody has posted the Ha! It did this moment.

I'm assuming he means devices without gps somehow get their location via triangulation.

I'll frig with this and test it when I get off work today if for nothing else then to satisfy my own curiosity now. To hell with manuals, poor revision control almost negates their value.

I have 2 devices home, one with and one without gps. I'll see if I can reproduce this later and post the result.
You should be my spokesperson.

The one WITHOUT has to be an iPad or iOS device that does indeed use triangulation through wifi crowd-sourcing but it apparently doesn't work with android devices which is why they probably list iPad mini with wifi only as a compatible device.

It won't be the best home point though and you also realize we are talking about an RC home point and not a new bird point.

That said, either way, bad or not at all, how can anyone function without the ability to set a good, let alone no home point.

Scenario: you are shooting a car commercial, you need the bird to follow the car and then when you want it to land, if you have somehow lost LOS after driving a half mile and now you need to set a new home point at the RC, what do you do without a GPS reciever on your phone or tab?

Ftr, if I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it as I only had the iPad without wifi long enough to figure out that for me it's a must regardless. This discussion has morphed into a "does it do it at all" or "just do it badly" conversation and neither are satisfactory to me so I say, if given the chance when you're starting, try and have a GPS reciever so you can set home points at the RC and use Follow Me. Those are enough reasons for me anyway.

For non GPS phones or tabs they do make a wireless $99 glonass/GPS reciever that will make it suitable.

I COMPLETELY RESPECT OPPOSING OPINIONS. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl