RTH first time

I do from time to time, correct false info that could confuse new flyers .... you just give me cause to on a few occasions.

You would get a message like this that you get if you try to reset homepoint to a tablet that doesn't have GPS:
i-3rphDVX-L.png

Of course having GPS makes a difference.
As I said above The only times that having a GPS enabled tablet or phone is only of any use is for follow-me flying or resetting home to your controller's location if you are moving around.
But it makes zero difference to your normal homepoint or RTH - NO DIFFERENCE .

What you're suggesting is very wrong.
Your tablet enabled GPS will have zero effect on your Phantom's RTH accuracy because the Phantom will only uses its own GPS - and the tablet's GPS is no more accurate than that on the Phantom (if anything, it's likely to be less accurate because it doesn't have a good antenna and it's probably got a poorer view of the sky).
Any consumer GPS whether a Garmin handheld, your Phantom or your tablet is subject to the variable precision of the GPS system which will give an accuracy usually within 10 feet and sometimes a bit more.

It's not a fact at all ... it's a misunderstanding on your part.
I SAID IT AFFECTS THE HOMEPOINT SETTING ACCURACY AND IT DOES!

And when something affects home point; it indirectly affects RTH unless you don't care where it returns to.

I SAID IT AFFECTS THE HOMEPOINT SETTING ACCURACY AND IT DOES!
And when something affects home point; it indirectly affects RTH unless you don't care where it returns to.
But it doesn't. You are mistaken.
Any GPS point you record with any consumer grade GPS is only accurate to approx +/- 10 feet - usually a bit better and sometimes a bit worse.
That's a limitation of GPS technology.

But it doesn't. You are mistaken.
Any GPS point you record with any consumer grade GPS is only accurate to approx +/- 10 feet - usually a bit better and sometimes a bit worse.
That's a limitation of GPS technology.
Yes, I am aware of the GPS limitations as far as accuracy but if you try to make a recording of a homepoint without a GPS receiver to where YOU (the RC) is, if you don't have a GPS receiver, you will get a much worse than 10 foot difference.

I had a near miss because of it with a telephone line and I called DJI to discuss it and this is the info that I had figured and they assured me and I asked them, "then why don't you say that on the recommended devices list".

THIS IS A FACT: If you set a homepoint to YOUR location rather than the birds, you will have a less accurate position without GPS (wifi only tablet) and no follow me and some other items are less accurate but why would you not want follow me? If you disagree, and I know yo do, let's just leave it at that? Cool, good, fist bump, hug. Grrreeattt.

Yes, I am aware of the GPS limitations as far as accuracy but if you try to make a recording of a homepoint without a GPS receiver to where YOU (the RC) is, if you don't have a GPS receiver, you will get a much worse than 10 foot difference.
I had a near miss because of it with a telephone line and I called DJI to discuss it and this is the info that I had figured and they assured me and I asked them, "then why don't you say that on the recommended devices list".
THIS IS A FACT: If you set a homepoint to YOUR location rather than the birds, you will have a less accurate position without GPS (wifi only tablet) and no follow me and some other items are less accurate but why would you not want follow me?
Sorry but what you're saying is not factual at all. It's just misinformation.
I don't care what you think someone at DJI told you.
Talk to three people at DJI and you'll get three opinions, and possibly none would be correct.
A GPS enabled tablet will make no difference to your homepoint location accuracy at all.
What you think proves your point is simply the random error inherent in any GPS record.

How do you suppose that the tablet GPS would give a more accurate point location than the GPS in the Phantom?

THIS IS A FACT: If you set a homepoint to YOUR location rather than the birds, you will have a less accurate position without GPS (wifi only tablet) and no follow me and some other items are less accurate but why would you not want follow me? If you disagree, and I know yo do, let's just leave it at that? Cool, good, fist bump, hug. Grrreeattt.

I'm not sure "THIS IS A FACT" means what you think it means.

Your Phantom will not lose its home point and having a GPS enabled tablet or phone makes no difference.
In this case you reset your home point to the Phantom's current location.

To clear up this misunderstanding.
The only times that having a GPS enabled tablet or phone is only of any use is for follow-me flying or resetting home to your controller's location if you are moving around.
The GPS in the tablet is 100% unrelated to your Phantom's ability to RTH.
The Phantom has a fine GPS of it's own and this is all it uses for RTH.
Any observed variation in RTH autolanding precision is entirely due to the precision of consumer GPS and is not a fault.

I believe it uses the compass to determine heading as well?

nothing wrong with that method.

That'll work but it just feels more organic to see it on the map coming back to the homepoint. I don't think people that use their phones, rather than tabs are even aware of that map (I call it the orientation map) where you get the green arrow and it sort of shows you where to fly (like a HUD) to get back home.

If you look at the below map, the thumbnail map on the left is what I call the orientation map although I am sure it has another name. I use it all the time to get my bearing on if they get off for some reason. The green represents the direction you need to rotate the bird in order to fly to the white dot which represents where you are. I use it all the time. When using phone you have to toggle to this map but when using a tab, it looks like this. I would go crazy without that map.

Of course you could also use the map on the right and it has the homepoint with the big H BUT if you for some reason the app loses its homepoint (which has actually happened to me once and it was because I didnt know the non cell versions of iPads don't have GPS receivers) I went to change my homepoint mid-flight and it made it somewhere on another part of town I didn't even notice that and I did an RTH and only because I was paying attention did I notice it was flying away from me. The "orientation map" knew exactly where I was though and I used it to get me to where I was able to land it where it needed to be but that was a scary call and RTH would not have worked for me there because I had lost my homepoint. I don't know why DJI even says the non cell iPads are useable. Yes, the bird has the GPS receiver but you need one at the controller for setting accurate points, follow me and a couple other things.

I guess at the end of the day that its weird that I don't trust electronics since they are a part of my every day life for work and play. I love a lot of things I don't trust I guess.

Capture.png

How did you take it up to 739 meters in height?

Sorry but what you're saying is not factual at all. It's just misinformation.
I don't care what you think someone at DJI told you.
Talk to three people at DJI and you'll get three opinions, and possibly none would be correct.
A GPS enabled tablet will make no difference to your homepoint location accuracy at all.
What you think proves your point is simply the random error inherent in any GPS record.

How do you suppose that the tablet GPS would give a more accurate point location than the GPS in the Phantom?
We are having two different conversations.

A couple things that are just not what I am saying.

1) That the inherent GPS errors prove my point. I never said that. I don't even know where that came from.

2) The question "How do you suppose that the tablet GPS would give a more accurate point location than the GPS in the Phantom?" LITERALLY means nothing to the conversation I am having.

ALL I AM SAYING is that if you have a wifi only tablet your homepoint to the bird is FINE but one made with the RC where YOU ARE will be off because it is using crowd-sourced wifi and not GPS and cached data rather than GPS and this is a fact.

Also, without a GPS on the ground you don't have follow me.

These are all my assertions!

All of the other things you just said are completely off and therefore I am lead to believe that we have a ton of miscommunication so lets for the sake of the universe, stop.

We are having two different conversations.

A couple things that are just not what I am saying.

1) That the inherent GPS errors prove my point. I never said that. I don't even know where that came from.

2) The question "How do you suppose that the tablet GPS would give a more accurate point location than the GPS in the Phantom?" LITERALLY means nothing to the conversation I am having.

ALL I AM SAYING is that if you have a wifi only tablet your homepoint to the bird is FINE but one made with the RC where YOU ARE will be off because it is using crowd-sourced wifi and not GPS and cached data rather than GPS and this is a fact.

Also, without a GPS on the ground you don't have follow me.

These are all my assertions!

All of the other things you just said are completely off and therefore I am lead to believe that we have a ton of miscommunication so lets for the sake of the universe, stop.

Problem here is the tablet has nothing to do with planting your RTH GPS coordinates. The P3 plants the RTH GPS coordinates using its GPS unit after it has been turned on. That is your RTH point. There's no crowd sourced location data from a wifi tablet that plants your GPS RTH coordinates. What if you don't have even wifi where you are flying? You can fly without wifi or cellular. How are RTH coordinates set then?

This is of course outside of the other flight modes explained by Meta4 where RTH coordinates can be set dynamically while on the move via the GPS unit in your tablet.

Reactions: Toddzilla
You're misunderstanding. If you have a Wifi only tablet and set your homepoint when the bird is on the ground before take off, the homepoint is set with the GPS receiver in the bird, not from the tablet or RC. The RC is only telling you the bird has set the homepoint, audibly. There is absolutely no crowd sourced wifi involved to determine location.

This is different than Yuneec products, that also have a GPS receiver in the RC. Maybe that's the source of the confusion.

Last edited:
Problem here is the tablet has nothing to do with planting your RTH GPS coordinates. The P3 plants the RTH GPS coordinates using its GPS unit after it has been turned on. That is your RTH point. There's no crowd sourced location data from a wifi tablet that plants your GPS RTH coordinates. What if you don't have even wifi where you are flying? You can fly without wifi or cellular. How are RTH coordinates set then?

This is of course outside of the other flight modes explained by Meta4 where RTH coordinates can be set dynamically while on the move via the GPS unit in your tablet.
This quote has so much wrong with it that I don't even know where to go but I'll just point out the one that's on topic.

Yes, the phantom which DOES have a GPS receiver in it is started, the first home point it set but if you didn't know, you can use one of those big old buttons in the app to set another home point either where the Phantom is or where the RC (you are) and if you have a wifi only tablet (unless you have a GPS receiver for it), it will be using crowd-sourced wifi to set the point where YOU or the RC is.

So the bird, yes has GPS, the RC does not. The phone or tab either does or doesn't (all non cell iPads don't have GPS standard) and based on that you can only set up a GOOD and ACCURATE RC (not Phantom) homepoint if you have GPS, it will not be as accurate as one with just wifi.

Here's what you get trying to reset home with a wifi only tablet.
A big nothing because the tablet has no GPS. It does have wifi connection but the GO app doesn't use this for location.
i-Nt5wzQ6-L.png

I'd love to see the miscommunication stop.
I'd have been happy to only have to make one post here but someone kept coming up with even more misinformation.
I saw that the first time you posted it but its the old app that you are showing an image of and the way I figured out about the tablets that are wifi only are without GPS is because I set a RC homepoint that was way off and it did not give me this message. I no longer have that iPad (as I went to get one with GPS because WHY WOULDNT SOMEONE WANT GPS AT THEIR RC??!!) to go outside and verify but when I had the new app and my P3P and set myself as a homepoint, it didnt give me this message, it just set a very off homepoint.

This message, however, I would have preferred.

A big nothing because the tablet has no GPS. It does have wifi connection but the GO app doesn't use this for location.
i-Nt5wzQ6-L.png

I am lead to believe that we have a ton of miscommunication so lets for the sake of the universe, stop.
I'd have been happy to only have to make one post here but someone kept coming up with even more misinformation.

btw ... there's nothing old about that app. I only just recorded the screen capture to be sure that nothing's changed. That's the way things look in Android.

Reactions: Toddzilla
if you have a wifi only tablet (unless you have a GPS receiver for it), it will be using crowd-sourced wifi to set the point where YOU or the RC is.
Wow sir, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole here. I do appreciate that you honestly seem to think you are correct, but hopefully you'll soon realize that you're not correct in this case. When you do, it would be great if you would loop back to this thread and make a note of it so that anyone reading it down the road won't be totally confused. Thanks.

Meta, I have never seen this dialog, thanks for sharing. With this popup dialog, I'd be confused what it's trying to say. DJI should have had it simply state "No GPS signal available for the mobile device to set home point". This would be a bit easier to understand what's going on. DJI, are you listening? :p

i-Nt5wzQ6-L.png

btw ... there's nothing old about that app. I only just recorded the screen capture to be sure that nothing's changed. That's the way things look in Android.
Ok, well on an iPad mini 2 it uses the wifi crowd-source to create a very poor home point and doesn't give you that message.

Wow sir, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole here. I do appreciate that you honestly seem to think you are correct, but hopefully you'll soon realize that you're not correct in this case. When you do, it would be great if you would loop back to this thread and make a note of it so that anyone reading it down the road won't be totally confused. Thanks.

Lol.

I'm not digging any holes and I've said nothing wrong here.

The obvious issue is that from the phone meta4 uses, his non-GPS device won't let him set a home point from the RC but it will with an iPad mini wifi only with poor accuracy but he can't see outside himself so he thinks everyone sees what he does.

On an iPad mini without GPS, it will set a home point; a not so good one. That's all I've been saying and it is a truth.

And when I'm wrong (I'm not) I will admit it and apologize for wasting people's time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie