RTH Feature

Reaction score
I forgot about a RTH feature where if the AC is inside a 20 meter diameter (I think) circle around the home point, it will immediately land without returning to home point. I was in a large open area so no problems. But, I can see a possibility for big problems in a smaller landing zone. Is there any way to turn this feature off or reduce the diameter of the circle?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Jim

Is there any way to turn this feature off or reduce the diameter of the circle?
Hi Jim. Sorry, no. There is no way to turn it off or adjust the circle diameter. You can however take manual control if you see there may be an issue with where it lands.

I forgot about a RTH feature where if the AC is inside a 20 meter diameter (I think) circle around the home point, it will immediately land without returning to home point. I was in a large open area so no problems. But, I can see a possibility for big problems in a smaller landing zone.
What big problems?
How often are you likely to want to use RTH when your Phantom is already closer than 60 feet from home?
The only users likely to ever experience this are nervous new owners trying RTH for the first time but not wanting to do it far away.

Reactions: flpholt
Why DJI picked up 20m can definitely be debated but I agree it's a good to have feature. If I am trying to land my quad in low battery conditions, I would hate if it suddenly ascends to RTH height.

What big problems?
How often are you likely to want to use RTH when your Phantom is already closer than 60 feet from home?
The only users likely to ever experience this are nervous new owners trying RTH for the first time but not wanting to do it far away.

Yeah, like me! If I was in a very tight area and nervous about landing, I might switch to RTH and it could land in baaad place. I agree that it is a desirable feature for emergency battery situations. I will have to remember this feature. Anyway, I have been practicing my manual landings and have gotten much better.

Best regards, Jim

I think the pros outweigh the cons on RTH. (If there are really any cons). I'm a new phantom 3 pro owner and have been practicing a lot since I got it 2 weeks ago. I've been "stretching my legs" on the distance I take it out, and a couple of days ago I took it out of sight and out of hearing range. I couldn't even tell where it was by looking at the FPV. Very unnerving for a novice! I couldn't quite recognize the landscape from the air, so I couldn't even point it in the right direction to fly it home myself! Lol! So I used the RTH at that point. I waited and waited and finally I heard it coming. Then once it was above me, I cancelled RTH and took over. After watching the video I realized I was nearly a half mile away.

I was VERY happy for the RTH feature!!

I think the pros outweigh the cons on RTH. (If there are really any cons). I'm a new phantom 3 pro owner and have been practicing a lot since I got it 2 weeks ago. I've been "stretching my legs" on the distance I take it out, and a couple of days ago I took it out of sight and out of hearing range. I couldn't even tell where it was by looking at the FPV. Very unnerving for a novice! I couldn't quite recognize the landscape from the air, so I couldn't even point it in the right direction to fly it home myself! Lol! So I used the RTH at that point. I waited and waited and finally I heard it coming. Then once it was above me, I cancelled RTH and took over. After watching the video I realized I was nearly a half mile away.

I generally watch the trace on the right map. I follow that back home first before hitting RTH..Believe me I've had those panicky moments like u. I just calmly checked battery power, distance, and map trail to see how far out I was and how much time I had left to keep trying to find my way back. I followed trail back and was highly impressed how accurate it was! It's my savior out there!

You can also just let go of the sticks, let it hover then swap screens from FPV to the map and look at where the
Phantom is in relation to you, and then bring it back to you.

Man, I feel so stupid now! You're right. The map is another great feature that I totally forgot about using! In my humble defense, I make note that I'm using an iphone for my FPV and the screen size is really quite inadequate! And the glare! Even with a hood I can hardly see anything. (maybe I'm just old)! :) I'm too cheep to fork out the $350 to $400 for an Ipad.

Thanks! You guys are great! Really glad I joined this forum!

Reactions: meissner58
Man, I feel so stupid now! You're right. The map is another great feature that I totally forgot about using! In my humble defense, I make note that I'm using an iphone for my FPV and the screen size is really quite inadequate! And the glare! Even with a hood I can hardly see anything. (maybe I'm just old)! :) I'm too cheep to fork out the $350 to $400 for an Ipad.

Don't feel stupid, I learned it from the same scenario as yours. i was flying over a lake and lost all orientation to where I was flying. I thought from the view on my screen I was returning to the shore, but realized it was the wrong shore :p I finally just stopped and then switched views, turned 90 degrees and flew it back to me.

You can also just let go of the sticks, let it hover then swap screens from FPV to the map and look at where the
Phantom is in relation to you, and then bring it back to you.
Don't feel stupid, I learned it from the same scenario as yours. i was flying over a lake and lost all orientation to where I was flying. I thought from the view on my screen I was returning to the shore, but realized it was the wrong shore :p I finally just stopped and then switched views, turned 90 degrees and flew it back to me.

OK, I am stupid. I didn't even know there was a map view. :oops: How do you switch from FPV view to map view?

Jim

OK, I am stupid. I didn't even know there was a map view. :oops: How do you switch from FPV view to map view?
Just tap on the window

The Phantom has multiple aids that you can use if you are disoriented.
You can use the landscape in the camera view if that isn't confusing and aim for the high point or follow the river etc.
Or you can select the map view and follow the line home like a trail of breadcrumbs.
i-L5GVRsS-M.png

Or you can select the radar display and use that to turn the Phantom to face you and fly home, confirming with the telemetry that you are getting closer.
i-NpPbD55-M.png

Or you can use RTH via the app or the controller button to turn the Phantom around and aim right at you.
Remember that RTH is a slow driver and will only come home at 10 m/sec but you can drive faster at 15 m/s.
So there's no need to sit back and wait if your Phantom is making slow progress if there is a little headwind.
Just kick the right stick forward or cancel RTH and take over.

I'm too cheep to fork out the $350 to $400 for an Ipad.
If you dont mind Android, check out the Nexus 7 2013 version. Its amazing and cheap, an 8gb one can go for about $100, the 16gb isn't too far behind. I got a used one and its dedicated to my phantom, love it!

Thanks Dig. I'll check it out. I have a Samsung tab 3 w/android, but it's not compatible, at least not yet.
Had a brand new s2 tablet it gave me blotchy grainy feed. Video turned out ok on SD but I had to go back to iPad mini 2. Love it so much more.

I had an iPad 1st edition that was useless for FPV plus it is just too big for the controller. My iPhone worked better but the screen is small and you have to switch out the map for the radar screen. I looked for refurbished iPad mini 2. After doing some research I believed there would not be much of an improvement. The mini 4 has a brighter and more detailed display with a built in glare screen but is a lot more. I found a refurbished model from Drone Geeks for $259. I can now fly FPV and rarely use the map in full view. It is the best display of any of the drones I have had. Be patient and keep checking on Google. You will find one at a reasonable price and be very happy with the results.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Had a brand new s2 tablet it gave me blotchy grainy feed. Video turned out ok on SD but I had to go back to iPad mini 2. Love it so much more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" very bright display with an 8 core processor. I have over 159. miles on my P3P using Litchi and the Galaxy Tab S2. The video is perfect. The response is fast and I have never had a problem with the Tab S2 over-heating on 100 deg F days in Phoenix, Arizona. I am very very pleased with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. It also connects to my PC's as two hard drives for simple file transfer. 60 GB internal and 128 GB on the plug in SD chip. {Just for info guys.)
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

Reactions: meissner58

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers