Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

RTH crash first flight

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Fletcher1856, May 10, 2015.

1. Fletcher1856

Stupid me.
    First flight with the p3. I have a large oak in my front yard and I am taking pics from under the canopy. It a live oak that has a huge drooping canopy. I knew I was short on battery and was 2' above ground setting it down when it went into RTH. I could not stop it. It went straight up and into a limb. Broken shell broken camera.

Is it worth trying to get it fixed? Just order another?

Stupid me

mmee1992 likes this.
  2. msinger

Approved Vendor

At this point, there are no spare parts available. You could try contacting repair shops to see if they have parts from fixing other P3s. Or, send it to DJI and wait the usual month or two to get it repaired.

3. mmee1992

You should only fly for 10 minutes on the first 10 cycles on any new battery to condition it. Also I make it a habit of never flying my batteries below 30%. Sorry you lost your bird.

4. Julius717

or you could adjust your battery setting for return to home, if you plan to fly with the battery that low atleast my .02

5. F6Rider

Newbie mistake, sorry to hear you broke your bird. I never fly under anything at less than 30%, alarm at 25%, RTH at 20%. So far this has served me well.

Trumple likes this.
  6. Fletcher1856

Newbie mistake for sure. I was 5 feet away when it happened.

Is there any way to stop the RTH when it starts?

Back to the p2 for a while.

7. envisionabove

Today I nicked a potted tree in the yard with the P3P it survived props are nicked as it laded upside down like the one here. Just a little nick of a branch...
    Then I could not shut it down the blades were spinning dust flying! it was upside down upside down mind you! The battery would not shut off... finally shut down in my hands....
    The Viking gods were with me... I set it on the workbench and looked it over. She powered up and took flight... I need to get a can of air and blow the dust out.

I feel for you man..... this would have killed me with $530.00 extras on order... As soon as I get enough in back of me I am buying and other one for backup.

IMG_0332.jpg

8. Charmande

I don't know about stopping it when it's already in progress but I know before mine initiates it always warns me that it's about to attempt a RTH function. Once the warning appears on screen you have a minute to cancel it by tapping on the screen. Sorry to hear about your P3 that is very unfortunate. You could always try selling it for parts especially the battery if it still works I'm sure someone would grab it up quick until you can get a new P3.

9. Pumpfixer

At any time just hold the rth button and you regain control. You can also manuver while rth

10. parkerman

That picture is not of a P3.. Looks like the old Phantom1

11. DrChris

The app should have given you a warning prompt that you had hit the "Low battery level". You should also see the aircraft LEDs blinking slow red. If you hit cancel, RTH will not kick in. If you do nothing for 10 seconds, RTH will begin.

12. IflyinWY

I was thinking the same thing, so I reread the post.
    He didn't say it was a P3.

"Today I nicked a potted tree in the yard with the P3P it survived props are nicked as it laded upside down like the one here. Just a little nick of a branch..."

13. envisionabove

It not a phsntom guys...its a tribute photo my p3p look like the photo. Forgot everything is nitpicked.

14. Fletcher1856

Anybody have an idea of the value of a lightly crashed (camera broken) P3?

15. Kingfish28

I'll give you $1.95

16. Fletcher1856

I really not fishing for offers. Just trying to weigh the cost to repair vs the cost to replace. I would sell the damaged copter on eBay or such to offset some of the replacement cost.

17. gfredrone

Want to sell the battery?

Adam Kontras likes this.
  18. Daniel Nelson

Battery alone. $150. Heck, because there are NONE available you might fetch $200. $300 to $400 for the body and spare xmitter, you are half way there. I'd imagine you split the battery, charger, xmitter and body in separate auctions you might make a little more.

19. Ari

Ari

I had the same issue with the RTH. I need parts to fix my toy. I am interested in buying your whole bird for parts