RTH Altitude setting

Reaction score
Given I frequently see others reminding to ensure sufficient altitude is set for RTH, is it not logical to set this to the max as default? Possibly in a low battery scenario you'd not want this necessarily however in the majority of circumstances would this not make sense?

I always always set at 120 m and never run below 50% far off. I usually find it set at just 30 m. That can cause problems with trees.

Given I frequently see others reminding to ensure sufficient altitude is set for RTH, is it not logical to set this to the max as default? Possibly in a low battery scenario you'd not want this necessarily however in the majority of circumstances would this not make sense?
Unless you have 300 foot+ obstacles in your flight area, there is no reason to set RTH to the max.
There is no point making your Phantom climb to 400 feet to come home and slowly descend from 400 feet without a good reason.
If you initiated max altitude RTH from a low height, you are adding a minute to your return flight time and demanding a lot extra from your (possibly low) battery by making it climb so far.
Adjust your RTH to a sensible height to allow for whatever obstacles are nearby.

Issue is the power needed to climb to the maximum. Which in an event of issue, might cause more harm than good when it's trying to return after communication loss. I set mine to around 50m, which is my average cruising height and will clear most objects around the location I'm flying. If I feel it can be lower, I go lower.

That's one setting I feel should be set for each flight, for best chance of recovery and safe return. But I never go below 50m in it's setting these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4