Route planner

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to buy the p3 advanced. Can anyone tell me if there is application to plan routes with phantom 3 advanced? I have downloaded dji go but it seems that it does not have route planner.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Are you referring to waypoint missions? If not, please explain in more detail.

Autopilot or Litchi come to mind. Youtube shows both and has a comparison between them on it.

Autopilot is strictly iOS (Apple), and Litchi can do Android or iOs.

Yes I mean way points. Plan them on map(Google earth for example) and then fly this route with drone

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Litchi allows you to plan a route in the app or offline on the web then uploading it. With GO, you do it right in the app. I have not yet tested either but but I hear Litchi is alot more functional.

Autopilot runs Google Earth maps within the app.

However, you can plan it offline in Google Earth and load it into the Autopilot app as a KML or KMZ file saved from the path tool you made it with and it will take doing a flight plan that way. The big but here is some of those Google Earth path tools that make up a pre-planned route can be huge and then the app itself is bogged down in processing it. Same for Litchi if you do it offline and load into it. A lot of tight turns in Google Earth's path tools will create a whole lot of drop-downs and subsequent waypoints and the apps will protest in speed verses doing it on the app itself. Once you get the KML/KMZ loaded into the app you can end up with a 1,000 waypoints off Google Earth depending on the path tools resolution when it does its thing (Which can also result in a very bad flight path too!). Then a lot of cleanup is needed. Easier and faster to do within the app, imho.

I have an animated GIF that demonstrates how a KML/KMZ pre-planned flight can go bad here in steep terrain: http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/flight-plan-in-google-earth-gif.64167/ You can download the GIF and play over again it on your Photo viewer and watch the red arrow (Your drone) disappear into the inside of the mountain and reappear on top, whereas the G.E. path tools shows the flight pattern should be on top of the wall.

Imho, these app tools seem to work better in 2D than 3D with a Z-axis involved. Very hard to get meaningful info on a vertical stack of waypoints, etc. That or relegate them to flatland areas and be careful about steep canyon terrain, buildings, etc.

Last edited:
You can use Litchi app to plan out your waypoints in advance and save as a mission. You can run the mission any time you are at the site. Learn to use Litchi before you execute any of such missions.

There are other apps also that can do the same but it's your choice to decide and pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Litchi allows you to plan a route in the app or offline on the web then uploading it. With GO, you do it right in the app.

Correct, with DJO GO you're setting the way-points while flying the route.
A predefined route in GE (related to ground altitude) can be imported into Litchi and be saved as a mission.

Probably attached document might give you a first hint of how to define a mission in GE and how to import it into Litchi prior sending the bird out.
Knowing the actual situation of the terrain you plan a mission will help you to avoid any crashes caused by newer buildings, poles, antennas etc.

Attachments

• Waypoint mission in Google Earth relative to ground.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 292

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31