RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Hi all,
I've only just installed my RPG (new version with small motors) I'm also running on V3.12 but must say that I had no problem with calibrating my unit. I was going to upgrade to V 3.14 but reading johns post I'm a bit reluctant now.

Do I upgrade & bite the bullet or hold off.. I'll keep you guys updated.

Things like this really worry me cos the gimbal is a non DJI part so they dont take that into consideration, also this could ground me from flying...:(

Hi all,
I've only just installed my RPG (new version with small motors) I'm also running on V3.12 but must say that I had no problem with calibrating my unit. I was going to upgrade to V 3.14 but reading johns post I'm a bit reluctant now.

Do I upgrade & bite the bullet or hold off.. I'll keep you guys updated.

Things like this really worry me cos the gimbal is a non DJI part so they dont take that into consideration, also this could ground me from flying...:(
I'm on 12 also porky and not gonna do it . From what it says it wouldn't effect me were I'm at but who knows what they have slipped in there :eek:
I have not had any of the issues others have been having so me be good right now :)

I'm on 12 also porky and not gonna do it . From what it says it wouldn't effect me were I'm at but who knows what they have slipped in there :eek:
I have not had any of the issues others have been having so me be good right now :)

Yep I'm the same as you, all working great my end. Do agree with you, what else have they slipped in!

I just like to keep everything updated in uniform, but that just me..;)

Dirk, do you ever go to sleep....:):):):):)

Yep I'm the same as you, all working great my end. Do agree with you, what else have they slipped in!

I just like to keep everything updated in uniform, but that just me..;)

Dirk, do you ever go to sleep....:):):):):)
fall down.png
Yea but then I get back up so what's da use ? Can sleep when I'm dead bro !!! ............just resting me eye's now ;)

Is your gimbal one of the early models shipped with larger motors?

BManCan

Thanks BMan. Don't know how I missed your previous post. Yes to the large motors.

Have you been flying ok after calibrating with the RP powered down and then powering it up? Did Keri ever reply?

This is in response to a previous question about what software to use:

Please follow these steps to re-format the gimbal control board and sensor:

1. Download the files here: http://bit.ly/1qKhLxD
2. Install the USB driver first.
3. Run the gimbal software (SimpleBGC_GUI.exe).
4. Disconnect motors and pitch control cables from the gimbal control
board, and take note of the orientation of the cables. Only the
multi-coloured IMU
cable should be connected to the gimbal control board board now.
5. Connect the gimbal control board to your computer via any mini-USB cable.
6. Select the appropriate COM PORT in the drop down menu from the box
in the top left, and click CONNECT.
7. If it gives you an error stating a mismatch of the firmware with
the GUI, then proceed with steps 8-10. If no error occurs, and the
live read-outs on the right side of the screen are active when you
move the camera, then skip to step 11.

8. Run "XLoader.exe, select the correct COM PORT, and select
"SimpleBGC_2_40b7.enc.hex", then click "Upload".
9. The green light on the gimbal control board should go out for a few
seconds, and in the XLoader program it will eventually say "Upload
failed" - this is normal!
10. Now, try clicking "CONNECT" in the gimbal control software again,
and it should connect properly.

11. Click "Load" in the top right of the screen, and select "RPG-FC200.profile"
12. Click "Write" in the bottom right of the screen.
13. Rigidly secure the camera in a perfectly horizontal orientation
(might be easier without the camera installed), and click the "Calib
ACC" button once, then wait 5 seconds for the calibration to occur.
14. Click "Disconnect" in the top left, and reconnect the motor cables
in their appropriate positions/orientations.
15. Make sure that the camera is installed, and then try powering the
system up again.

Thanks,

Keri

Does this apply to the original RP Gimbal (big motors), the newer one, or both?!
Thanks....

Thanks BMan. Don't know how I missed your previous post. Yes to the large motors.

Have you been flying ok after calibrating with the RP powered down and then powering it up? Did Keri ever reply?

I have not been flying too many times since this issue started. It has me worried that the Rotorpixel motors and causing interference to the compass.
Keri replied to one of my emails but indicated that others were not having the same issues.
I am starting to think that only the early model (large motor) RP gimbals are having this issue.
I just sent him a link to your post describing exactly the same issue that I am having with compass calibration. Unplugging the gimbal before each calibration seems to work, but it is a real nuisance and also somewhat risky. If you forget to power down the Phantom Vision and unplug or plug in the power cable it can cause damage. Some users damaged their main board on the P2V by plugging in the cable with it powered up.

BManCan

I have not been flying too many times since this issue started. It has me worried that the Rotorpixel motors and causing interference to the compass.
Keri replied to one of my emails but indicated that others were not having the same issues.
I am starting to think that only the early model (large motor) RP gimbals are having this issue.
I just sent him a link to your post describing exactly the same issue that I am having with compass calibration. Unplugging the gimbal before each calibration seems to work, but it is a real nuisance and also somewhat risky. If you forget to power down the Phantom Vision and unplug or plug in the power cable it can cause damage. Some users damaged their main board on the P2V by plugging in the cable with it powered up.

BManCan

You could downgrade the firmware on the PV....

BManCan

I've just installed my RPG (new model, small motors) & I'm on V3.12 on my vision, at the moment I've not had any problems with calibrating my compass, you could be right regarding the larger motors.

I've just installed my RPG (new model, small motors) & I'm on V3.12 on my vision, at the moment I've not had any problems with calibrating my compass, you could be right regarding the larger motors.

I sent an email to Keri at Rotorpixel asking if he could test one of the early model (large motor) gimbals with the 3.12 or 3.14 firmware version. So far no response, but I will report back here if I get a response.

Reactions: johnlund
I sent an email to Keri at Rotorpixel asking if he could test one of the early model (large motor) gimbals with the 3.12 or 3.14 firmware version. So far no response, but I will report back here if I get a response.

Hi BmanCan,
I've just this second upgraded to V3.14 & recalibrated the compass, worked 1st time. Hopefully Keri will report back with a solution for you guys.

I think that 3.12 is VERY SENSITIVE TO METAL OBJECTS!!! Insure you are clear of metal objects for compass calibration. If you still cannot calibrate bring a magnetic screwdriver close to the compass, like 2inches and rotate the screwdriver.
Check assistant for gps errors as we'll.
I had the same issue and solved it this way.

Hi BmanCan,
I've just this second upgraded to V3.14 & recalibrated the compass, worked 1st time. Hopefully Keri will report back with a solution for you guys.
well this is good news then clampit I wasnt going to do the upgrades just stick with 3.08 but since it worked for you maybe Ill give it a try as well, you were on 3.08 to start with clampit?

well this is good news then clampit I wasnt going to do the upgrades just stick with 3.08 but since it worked for you maybe Ill give it a try as well, you were on 3.08 to start with clampit?

Hi squids,
My DJI Phanton 2 Vision assistant is 3.8 on the PC. When I installed my RP the flight controller firmware was v3.12. I Installed v3.14, callibrated the compass & hay presto it worked 1st time for me.:D
No errors which I must admit I was expecting. I kept the RP live (turned on) for the calibration dance, always fill like a wally when I'm doing this but must be done:):)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik