Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

like many others, i had the same problem after installing my rotorpixel on my vision2 nonplus. i wanted additional takeoff and landing clearance but didnt want to lose the ability for my two existing cases (one hard and one soft, but both requiring original landing skids). here is what i came up with:

formqCR.jpg

i cut 1/2" sections of 1.5" PVC. sanded the edges to avoid issues with gimbal wires. made a single slit through it. the tension of the ring with one slit holds it tight and the width of the pvc fits perfectly in the groove of the landing gear. the added bonus is that it takes seconds to install/uninstall and if i 'unclip' them (but instead of pulling them off i basically let them ring around the landing gear like rings on your finger, then they stay in place during transport and dont get in the way of the case. here is a pic in the 'transport' mode:

EWuKtZy.jpg

it has been working fantastic and i have basically the same landing footprint i had before.

Nice way to do it Cid, might give that a go too. I have alreday made some of my own clip on extensions similar to what someone else posted on here somewhere with some white plastic angle strips and some cable clips, and they do the job, but yours is a neat and simple way too. ;) Good to have a number of alternatives.

Cyclone said:
I got some Vision + landing legs for use with the RPG. These will give about 1cm height difference over the normal Vision legs, and the whole thing should look normal when they're attached.
With the new transmitter (with gimbal wheel) and the RPG, once powered up the camera points down and hits the floor. These legs are higher but not high enough and you have to mess about to stop the camera hitting the floor.

I hate them but I may have to use the extended wider legs. To me they look horrible but I know they are about an inch taller than the Vision + legs and I wont have an issue with the camera smacking the ground.

OR, as above and add something to the legs to lift them up a bit more AND be aesthetically pleasing :)

Cyclone said:
Cyclone said:
I got some Vision + landing legs for use with the RPG. These will give about 1cm height difference over the normal Vision legs, and the whole thing should look normal when they're attached.
With the new transmitter (with gimbal wheel) and the RPG, once powered up the camera points down and hits the floor. These legs are higher but not high enough and you have to mess about to stop the camera hitting the floor.

I hate them but I may have to use the extended wider legs. To me they look horrible but I know they are about an inch taller than the Vision + legs and I wont have an issue with the camera smacking the ground.

OR, as above and add something to the legs to lift them up a bit more AND be aesthetically pleasing :)

Have you tried powering up the phantom first and then the transmitter? This way what you mention doesn't happen.

I finally received my RP but I'm grounded till I received my flytrex 3g (my other gps tracker died) ..... Just to be safe

fanelectronico said:
Cyclone said:
Cyclone said:

Have you tried powering up the phantom first and then the transmitter? This way what you mention doesn't happen.

I finally received my RP but I'm grounded till I received my flytrex 3g (my other gps tracker died) ..... Just to be safe

I don't think it's ever a good idea to power the Phantom up before the TX, for various and assorted reasons. If you're aware of the camera bottoming out whenever it initializes, you can stop it with the TX before it does.

Or you can buy a set of legs designed for the P2V+, or you could buy, or build, a set of leg extenders that either snap off (so it'll still store the same in an existing case) or don't. I decided to build a small platform to use for takeoffs that leaves enough room for the camera to bottom out... But I'm still looking into a set of snap on leg extenders... :D :D :D

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I don't think it's ever a good idea to power the Phantom up before the TX, for various and assorted reasons. If you're aware of the camera bottoming out whenever it initializes, you can stop it with the TX before it does.

Or you can buy a set of legs designed for the P2V+, or you could buy, or build, a set of leg extenders that either snap off (so it'll still store the same in an existing case) or don't. I decided to build a small platform to use for takeoffs that leaves enough room for the camera to bottom out... But I'm still looking into a set of snap on leg extenders... :D :D :D

-slinger

Yep, that is why I'm also waiting for a leg extenders that bought :D . I put the pv2+ legs but there still not enough space if the the camera faces all the way down

I have the Vision + legs. I thought they would be high enough, but they're not :(

I tried fiddling with the tx to stop the gimbal rotation but didnt succeed. I just want to put something on there and forget about any camera problems. Ill have to have a look through the local hardware store to see what I could do :)

Cyclone said:
I have the Vision + legs. I thought they would be high enough, but they're not :(

I tried fiddling with the tx to stop the gimbal rotation but didnt succeed. I just want to put something on there and forget about any camera problems. Ill have to have a look through the local hardware store to see what I could do :)

Wow!!! Really? The P2V+ legs aren't long enough? Two of you guys reported the same thing at very nearly the same time. I had assumed they'd do the trick... I need to pick up that 3D printer and market this kind of niche stuff... :cool: :D :lol:

-slinger

They would be ok if I was using the normal tx. But with the new tx and the gimbal rotating it's a problem for me.

Received my gimbal yesterday night! Only took about a week to arrive. Install was okay, except on first power up I had no control of the gimbal angle adjustment in the Dji app. I ended up solving the issue and went on a test flight today, I muse say I am impressed with this gimbal.

Just had a result. I nicked some 15mm pvc tubing off the plumber, which when cut down to 5" long pieces, should attach to the Vision's legs and raise it enough so the camera doesnt hit the ground. Similar to cid on the previous page.

Pictures over the weekend :)

Can someone please point to the thread I can read about the software that I can use with Rotorpixel gimbal board?
Thanks

Still a work in motion, but the pvc piping has lifted the Vision high enough so the camera is roughly half inch clear of the ground at its closest point. I just need some proper tools to finish it.

rLXJpYH.jpg

Cyclone said:
Still a work in motion, but the pvc piping has lifted the Vision high enough so the camera is roughly half inch clear of the ground at its closest point. I just need some proper tools to finish it.

rLXJpYH.jpg
Cool !! That just looks mean Cyclone !! Love dem eyes ;)

The eyes make it look good. Not sure if they're available elsewhere, but have a look on Buzzflyer.

Ill give it a full calibration and give it a fly on Tuesday.

Cyclone said:

rLXJpYH.jpg

Love the eyes Cyclone... All it needs is a mouth with pursed lips and a Lucky Strike hanging out of it...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Love the eyes Cyclone... All it needs is a mouth with pursed lips and a Lucky Strike hanging out of it...

-slinger

I'm on a mission now to find that :)

This is my quad with Angry Eyes before I fitted the Rotorpixel Gimbal. I found them on eBay for a couple of quid. Unlike the Buzzflyer ones, the eyes are seperate so you can place them how you like. I had Buzzflyer ones originally before I had a bodyshell change after a serious crash, which was most likely caused by a ESC failure.
myquad_zpsk0hf0hwz.jpg

That just looks like it's mad :eek: :lol:
I finally was able to swing it to order one and went to the site and knew they were on spring break or what ever but when I went to purchase it it says ..Out Of Stock.. :cry: They suppose to open back up Monday so maybe I can order one then !
Always a day late and a dollar short :roll:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj