RotorPixel 3D gimbal comming up?

Reaction score
I know that I probably stir the pot by adding a post containing the magic words "RotorPixel"...

Anyway, since there is no concurrent flow of information from RotorPixel, lets do what we have been doing with Apple products for years: Wild speculation! :)

RotorPixel recently announced that they were switching from 3D printed parts to injection molded ones. They stated the reason being the injection molded ones would be much stronger. Fact is, there isn't much issue with strength of the existing parts, I for one have never seen a post complaining about broken RotorPixel parts (Way to go RotorPixel!). There are however 2 main reasons to switch from 3D printed parts to injection molded ones: Weight and a lower profile (they don't have to be as thick).

RotorPixel also announced a switch to lighter thinner motors. The motors have a bigger diameter, so they would block more wifi signal. So why switch to a thinner motor type? Space.

So RotorPixel are loosing weight and gaining space by their switch. What do you need weight loss and space for? A YAW motor and 3rd axis extension board for the BaseCam controller (provided they don't ship the 3D version with the 32 bit tiny 3-Axis BaseCam contoller)

So my theory is, that there will in fact, in due time, be released a 3D gimbal from RotorPixel, that will include a new mounting plate for the P2V and 25-30mm leg extensions. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs[/youtube]

DKDarkness said:
I know that I probably stir the pot by adding a post containing the magic words "RotorPixel"...

Anyway, since there is no concurrent flow of information from RotorPixel, lets do what we have been doing with Apple products for years: Wild speculation! :)

RotorPixel recently announced that they were switching from 3D printed parts to injection molded ones. They stated the reason being the injection molded ones would be much stronger. Fact is, there isn't much issue with strength of the existing parts, I for one have never seen a post complaining about broken RotorPixel parts (Way to go RotorPixel!). There are however 2 main reasons to switch from 3D printed parts to injection molded ones: Weight and a lower profile (they don't have to be as thick).

RotorPixel also announced a switch to lighter thinner motors. The motors have a bigger diameter, so they would block more wifi signal. So why switch to a thinner motor type? Space.

So RotorPixel are loosing weight and gaining space by their switch. What do you need weight loss and space for? A YAW motor and 3rd axis extension board for the BaseCam controller (provided they don't ship the 3D version with the 32 bit tiny 3-Axis BaseCam contoller)

So my theory is, that there will in fact, in due time, be released a 3D gimbal from RotorPixel, that will include a new mounting plate for the P2V and 25-30mm leg extensions.

There's a third, and very important, reason for moving from 3D printing to injection molding. Speed. The main reason Keri can't keep up with demand is the cycle time of his 3D printers. Once the injection molds are created, production rates will make something other than creating the plastic bits the bottleneck...

-slinger

RamDez said:
OK, I will bite.

You really are having a laugh! Nobody has seen anything from them and they are avoiding all emails and facebook posts asking for dates for customer shipping info and YOU are going to throw more money at them??????

I'm not going to throw money at them, but for the simple reason that I don't need to. I build my own gimbal in a matter of hours, if I need one. My point is, there is an alternative. You don't have to buy a RotorPixel, if you choose to, you know what to expect: Probably a nice product, if you are prepared to really wait for it. No communication, no new features (GoPro etc) no 3rd axis upgrade for the foreseeable future. People are getting their gimbals eventually. But insist to spam about shipping numbers, non-responsive Keri etc.

My point is: You have a choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20