Rotor hitting arm but still seems to fly fine

Reaction score
After a pretty bad wreck I found that one of the motors was bent to the point that the rotor clips the arm as it spins. I tried to fly it at very low altitude and found that it seems fly just fine. Anyone ever had this experience? Any thoughts on what I should do about it, if anything?

You probably need to replace the shell. It would be hard to tell without seeing a picture.

Reactions: libertyflyer
The MC is capable of keeping flying but at a reduced efficiency.

Though not apparent to you it is affecting flight and might be noticeable in one or motor temps or battery life (flight time).

I reckon it's a bit like driving your car with loose wheel nuts. It still drives but eventually it will give way causing severe damage.

I would definitely stop flying it until you isolate and fix the problem. The fact that its hitting the body probably means that the arm is compromised. Fly like that enough and its likely to snap off in flight causing a bad crash.

I had an issue like this on my P2. When I got the motors up to flying speed the props were clear and didn't scratch the top. Never had a problem until I took off one day without satellite lock.

at the very very minimum you would try and bend the arm so the prop is not hitting the body. I had a crash and it got closer, but did not touch. Others suggested I use a heat gun lightly to reform the arm and then zip tie it for strength. I never did but that may apply here.

My car's front passenger side tire is rubbing the fender well, should I keep driving it?

Reactions: snowghost
After a pretty bad wreck I found that one of the motors was bent to the point that the rotor clips the arm as it spins. I tried to fly it at very low altitude and found that it seems fly just fine. Anyone ever had this experience? Any thoughts on what I should do about it, if anything?
I

Hello, Maybe this is too simple. If the rotor arm is bent and the blade is clipping the top of the arm, but it flys o.k. That way, could you carefully mark the area of the clip and file it down for clearance?

Check that the motor mount screws are tight too. New motors aren't that expensive the shaft is bent. I would recommend not flying it until it's fixed, just my opinion.

Inspect the motor mounts and make sure you don't have cracks that can lead to catastrophic motor mount failures. Now tight the screws to make sure none are loose and the motor is sitting angular and flushed on the motor mounts. If this all good, use a heat gun and straighten the arm.

Your best bet is to replace the shell. The shell is cheap and its an easy process if you have the tools and patience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl