Rotopixel or Dronexpert?

Reaction score
Two gimbals for the P2V but what to buy? Rotorpixel and Dronexpert.
Or is there a third that I need to know about.

Your thoughts? Like most of you I'm ready to spend some money but not ready to waste it. :?

Without any operational footage to compare them, the only differentiators we have so far are that the Rotorpixel is mounted to the stock gimbal mounting points, versus Dronexpert sitting low down and using the landing skids to support the gimbal. Rotorpixel is able to take the lens filter kit out of the box and have a user-tweakable balance setting to account for the weight (thanks for that pre-production mod, Keri!). Dronexpert needs a bit of tweaking to work with the kit and I believe they have stated they are also working to allow users to tune the motors to account for the new balance if using this too. Additionally dronexpert have added a separate receiver device to allow the tilt to be operated by the 7th channel on the tx, not just the app.

Dronexpert have the advantage of real users starting to post video, Rotorpixel we'll have to wait - unless you want to be an early adopter and beta tester! ;)

Very nice point about the gimbal control on the back. Can that be added to P2V controller. The P2 has it, the P2V looks like it has some controll port buried in the back where something could attach. :?: :?: :?:

Yes, it's the other pot on the back by the one that changes mode from CE to FCC. You can just retro-fit a slide control on there, but as it stands that will transmit the control signal, but it doesn't do anything on its own to the stock Vision - hence Dronexpert supplying the gimbal with their own bit of hardware which listens for the output from the slider to drive the gimbal tilt, as well as the app.

DronePeter said:
Pull_Up said:
Yes, it's the other pot on the back by the one that changes mode from CE to FCC. You can just retro-fit a slide control on there, but as it stands that will transmit the control signal, but it doesn't do anything on its own to the stock Vision - hence Dronexpert supplying the gimbal with their own bit of hardware which listens for the output from the slider to drive the gimbal tilt, as well as the app.

Mr. I-Know-all does it again.
Totally wrong you *******!
If you are not sure about something then shut up

Totally uncalled for "Drone Peter" Pull-Up is one of the best and helpful members of this forum. Welcome to my foe list so don't even bother replying.

Pull_Up said:
Don't feed the trolls, guys - no reaction = no cheap thrill. Just report the post (hit the exclamation mark on the offending post), add the user to your "foe" list (click on the user's name, select "Add Foe") and relax. :)

+1. I let them get the best of me and I'm done. Lol. Pull_up has the right attitude. BTW Pull_up I just wanted to say i think you're one of the nicest and most helpful members on here. So kudos.

Here are the main differences I see thus far.

Dronexpert gimbal:
7th channel capability
Mounts on landing gear (possibly creating more jello because of the lack of utilizing the stock rubber damper mounts)
Not balanced for lens filter mount??

Rotopixel gimbal:

No 7th channel hook up? (Maybe added later?)
Price is supposedly lower (300-400 vs 600 USD for dronexpert)
Supposedly balanced for the use of the Lens Filter Adapter

Anyone think I missed anything?

From the emails Ive had back and forth with Keri swapping to a go pro is super easy 4 screws and one adapter.

Totally uncalled for "Drone Peter" Pull-Up is one of the best and helpful members of this forum. Welcome to my foe list so don't even bother replying.[/quote]

+1

Thanks guys for all the help (Minus DronePeter of course - People can be wrong w/o name calling)

I love my P2V but I cannot help but wonder if instead of getting a gimbal for it I shouldn't just sell it and get this P2 GoPro set up.
They boast a 3937' (1,200 m) range.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021959-REG/dji_ready_to_fly_phantom_2_aerial.html

Real world is probably less range but still even half that is way more than I have now.

What are your thoughts?

ResevorDG said:
Thanks guys for all the help (Minus DronePeter of course - People can be wrong w/o name calling)

I love my P2V but I cannot help but wonder if instead of getting a gimbal for it I shouldn't just sell it and get this P2 GoPro set up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021959-REG/dji_ready_to_fly_phantom_2_aerial.html

Real world is probably less range but still even half that is way more than I have now.

What are your thoughts?

My thought is that you can probably easily swap the P2V over to a GoPro setup if you really wanted to. Granted the 5.8ghz may not travel as far but is that really an issue when the distances are so insanely far already? I'm also looking forward to the ground station setup for the P2V. All my opinions.

Scottrod said:
ResevorDG said:

What are your thoughts?

My thought is that you can probably easily swap the P2V over to a GoPro setup if you really wanted to. Granted the 5.8ghz may not travel as far but is that really an issue when the distances are so insanely far already? I'm also looking forward to the ground station setup for the P2V. All my opinions.

Yes this is also a good point, how far do I really need? Basically I am a bit of a geek and before I spend $300-$650 USD upgrading my P2V I want to make sure it's really what I want.

I completely agree the BVR Ground Station set up looks rad!

It appears the Rotorpixel isolates airframe vibration by using the stock system connected to the underside of the belly. Since the DroneExpert seems to be mounted to the landing gear, can anyone (owners?) describe how airframe vibes are isolated.

I'd hate to make a significant investment in a really nice gimbal system, only to find that we end up with smooth video, but with significant jello effect.

Anyone know for sure?

arinvideo said:
From the emails Ive had back and forth with Keri swapping to a go pro is super easy 4 screws and one adapter.

Im already a fan of the Rotorpixle but this just sealed the deal for me. That said I hope he takes his time and make sure everything is working well. But I am REALLY looking forward to this thing! I feel like its the one thing missing.

JJ

Scottrod said:
Here are the main differences I see thus far.

Dronexpert gimbal:
7th channel capability
Mounts on landing gear (possibly creating more jello because of the lack of utilizing the stock rubber damper mounts)
Not balanced for lens filter mount??

Rotopixel gimbal:

No 7th channel hook up? (Maybe added later?)
Price is supposedly lower (300-400 vs 600 USD for dronexpert)
Supposedly balanced for the use of the Lens Filter Adapter

Anyone think I missed anything?

-Ours can accept a Hero 2/3/3+ with quick-mount adapters that we already have produced
-We mounted the camera very far forward and lower, making it difficult to get props in the frame, even with aggressive flying
-No need to move the compass
-AlexMos gimbal control board which can be used in any gimbal, if you decide to change systems in the future... saving you even more money in the long run
-Camera can be precisely balanced around both the roll and pitch axes, depending on what filter(s) are being used.
-Super easy installation/removal of the camera from the gimbal, and the gimbal from the Phantom.

:)

Keri

ResevorDG said:

What are your thoughts?

Still not sure I was wrong... Videos from Dronexpert show the binding process for their receiver module for tilt. ;)

Nevertheless you will always get more range from a 2.4GHz control system than a 5.8. What you gain with the Vision package is the all-in-one FPV and data link via the app - and don't forget the allegedly upcoming autonomous waypoint flying via the ground station update.

Swapping out to the GoPro is an attractive plus for the Rotorpixel but you will lose all the FPV and data when you do. If that's something you want all the time then maybe the P2 with extras might be more appropriate.

Tough choice if you are happy with the Vision camera quality. If not then P2 is probably the only way to go.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub