Rotating The Compass (and other bad ideas)

ianwood said:
Andy T said:
If DJI decided to redesign the leg and compass so it can be rotated to solve this issue I would be extatic even if I had to pay for it. A compass and a leg is 20 dollars.

You and me both. If only it solved the problem. Unfortunately, the following issues remain:

• Just because it works on another platform doesn't mean it works on this one.
  • The Naza will over-correct and you will end up hooking in the other direction.
  • The compass is meant to be aligned with the vehicle. As a sensor, it will return inaccurate data when rotated.
  • You cannot be certain that you're not introducing compass errors that can result in a flyaway.
It's like having a broken leg and instead of having surgery to fix it, you just slap two pieces of wood to your leg. You might be able to walk, but it's going to suck.

If rotating the compass actually made my Phantom fly straight for the full flight, my compass would be rotated and I would be suggesting everyone do it until DJI fixes the problem. All the tests that I have done show it overcorrects:

• With no rotation, I get hooking that slowly straightens up after 7 or so minutes.
  • With the compass rotated nearly double the declination, I get straight flight that slowly turns into hooking after 7 or so minutes.
  • With the compass rotated by only the declination, I get lesser hooks in one direction for a few minutes, straight flight in the middle, and then lesser hooks in the other direction.
Others have made similar observations.

Andy T said:
To say that is an invalid argument and ban it from you discussion is as you would call it a "bad idea"

If the conversation occurred once in that thread, I would agree but it turns up like groundhog day. Explaining the same thing over and over gets old quickly and takes away from the purpose of the thread. I made it clear from the very first post that I wanted to discuss fixing the problem and not looking at kludgy workarounds like rotating the compass.
Well ok then but in my job for 35 years or so where we had to troubleshoot instrumentation and machinery and processes we found that having blinders on was usually counterproductive. I'm with you on getting this solved though. don't forget that.

Blinders? Read the thread! That debate is played out. The research done. Show me some new information about rotating the compass that isn't just more unfounded opinion and I'll listen. In the meantime, I will continue looking for the root cause reverse engineering the CAN bus data and finding ways to motivate DJI.

With all your experience, you should be helping me dissect CAN frames and mapping out the rest of the data structures.

I agree with Ianwood…we spend a lot of money for these things and DJI MUST do something to fix this problem…we should not have to experiment risking damage or worse hurting somebody when one of us crashes because of unproved methods of rotating a compass. Let DJI solve the problem especially since they do not recommend moving the compass...

ianwood said:
With all your experience, you should be helping me dissect CAN frames and mapping out the rest of the data structures.
Let me think about that for a second............ uhmmm... no.. lol

@nzvideoguys was that you that posted a comment to https://www.facebook.com/DJIglobal If so BRAVO! Facebook is awesome to get things done. We have to go there and like the posts that people are placing there and if there is not a post about the issue near the top of the page, make one. I also posted to my dealers Facebook to encourage him to put some pressure on DJI. He replied instantly that he will talk to them.[/quote]

No it wasn't me. It was probably a friend of mine who's really pissed off with the whole compass problem. I looked for the comment you were referring to but couldn't find it. Can you find it and copy it here, so we can all relish the nectar? :)

nzvideoguys said:
@nzvideoguys was that you that posted a comment to https://www.facebook.com/DJIglobal If so BRAVO! Facebook is awesome to get things done. We have to go there and like the posts that people are placing there and if there is not a post about the issue near the top of the page, make one. I also posted to my dealers Facebook to encourage him to put some pressure on DJI. He replied instantly that he will talk to them.

No it wasn't me. It was probably a friend of mine who's really pissed off with the whole compass problem. I looked for the comment you were referring to but couldn't find it. Can you find it and copy it here, so we can all relish the nectar? :)

If you go to the "Posts by others" page you will find the comment there about 10 comments down now. see attachment screen cap

Attachments

• djifacebook.JPG
    djifacebook.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 327
Andy T said:
nzvideoguys said:
@nzvideoguys was that you that posted a comment to https://www.facebook.com/DJIglobal If so BRAVO! Facebook is awesome to get things done. We have to go there and like the posts that people are placing there and if there is not a post about the issue near the top of the page, make one. I also posted to my dealers Facebook to encourage him to put some pressure on DJI. He replied instantly that he will talk to them.

If you go to the "Posts by others" page you will find the comment there about 10 comments down now. see attachment screen cap

Kinda outing myself here but that was me.

varix said:
Andy T said:
nzvideoguys said:

Kinda outing myself here but that was me.

Hey love it.. we should have been doing that a long time ago... keeping that issue at the top of their page but without them banning us for being spammy. If I see that the issue is not near the top of their Facebook I will make a mention of it but if the same person is doing it all the time it is not as effective.. Glad you let them know what you are experiencing

If you look in the main compass defect thread, you'll see we're about to kickoff a social media blitz. Best way to get attention is to create some content (images, video, etc.) using similar wording and link it to a common place. Images and video get higher display rates than text posts and are more likely to be seen by others who visit the same page.

I understand the issues with getting DJI to correct the issue but this thread is about rotating the compass.

I have done two more days of testing in my area of 15deg dec and what I found contradicts some of the reasons Not to rotate the compass.

I rotated it about 25-30 deg CCW, the opposite direction of the TBE. At takeoff it has a very slight J-Hook. Within a minute or so it gone and by the end of the flight some 15 min later it still flys correctly with no change from the 1 minute period. I see NO overcorrection at all. The reports of it overcorrecting and going the other way I do not see in two different P2's at least in my area. I seems to work exactly the same as my previous Discovery Pro with the Naza-M V2 in that regard.

The caution is make sure you fix the compass in its new position so it will not change orientation during flight.

I would like others who have tried this to post their results here.

Tom

The caution is make sure you fix the compass in its new position so it will not change orientation during flight.

I would like others who have tried this to post their results here.

Tom[/quote]

Christchurch, New Zealand. Testing.

I just took the P2 out for some testing.
Running 3.02 firmware. Default gains.

Compass calibration done before each flight.

First flight, compass rotated 40deg clockwise.
Took off and hovered 30secs. No TBE. Stable.
Lined up forward direction on the top edge of a tennis court fence. Very little, if any drift
and very little hook.
Did several runs all with similar results.

Second flight, compass turned back to default position.
Took off, immediate TBE, moving anti clockwise in bigger and bigger circles.
Had to regain control.
Lined up forward direction on the top edge of a tennis court fence. Aprox drift
corresponding to 11am if forward is 12 o’clock, or 15degrees. Huge hook to the left at the end.
Ran up and down for about 6mins. Towards the end it was getting better.
Less drifting, less hook. No noticeable TBE.

I have all the video footage but is it worth uploading it? I mean, who’s going to look at it?

Had a strange thing happen on the first flight. I was viewing through the goggles
and the video switched off after about 11mins. Bought it down and discovered GoPro
had switched off. Wouldn’t turn on, and red light not coming on when powered by
gimbal. Took the GoPro out of the gimbal, removed and replaced battery.
Everything back to normal.
I think I’m going to make a point of charging the GoPro via the USB port before I do any flying.

nzvideoguys said:
Had a strange thing happen on the first flight. I was viewing through the goggles
and the video switched off after about 11mins. Bought it down and discovered GoPro
had switched off. Wouldn’t turn on, and red light not coming on when powered by
gimbal. Took the GoPro out of the gimbal, removed and replaced battery.
Everything back to normal.
I think I’m going to make a point of charging the GoPro via the USB port before I do any flying.

had that happen to be with the go pro. Dont know what happened, but it got fixed after I removed the battery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20