Rolling shutter at 1/400?

Zzz

Reaction score
I've been doing some testing that required me to shoot with a higher shutter speed of 1/400 and I've noticed subtle jello effect (not really rolling shutter) while moving :/ Is that normal for 1/400 with P4P or do I have a problem? In my case it looks like it's caused by sensor vibration while flying. Just an assumption though. I will do some more testing...

At what shutter speeds do you guys start noticing jello effect if at all?

What I'm seeing is similar to this, just not as bad:
(video not by me)

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about video (since you said 'while moving') and I have seem similar effects when shooting at a high shutter speed when flying +/- approx. 20 degrees into the sun. In my case it seemed to be some kind of strobing effect caused by reflections off of the props combined with the high shutter speed, evidenced by the fact that the problem disappeared when I turned away from the sun, or even if I sopped an hovered (raising the props further away from the camera.) I'm not sure if this is what you are describing but in my case the cure was an ND filter to get the shutter speed down to something more reasonable for the framerate, which totally eliminated the problem..

Thanks for replying! I have to correct myself... In my case it's actually more of a jello effect than rolling shutter and it happens regardless of the position of the sun. But I've heard of what youre describing before as well.

What I'm seeing is similar to this video, just not as bad:
(video not by me)

Yikes. No, that was not what I was seeing. That problem is indeed called jello and I have seen it discussed before. Search a bit under that term and maybe you'll find some info.

Buddy of mine in Salt Lake City just sent his brand new bird back to DJI for this very issue of jello coming from the gimble. I would box it up and send it in right now. Nothing you can do is gonna fix that I'm betting. He also had a weird noise in his gimble at fire up too. Def defective.

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to send it back as DJI is extremely slow here in Europe...

Buddy of mine in Salt Lake City just sent his brand new bird back to DJI for this very issue of jello coming from the gimble. I would box it up and send it in right now. Nothing you can do is gonna fix that I'm betting. He also had a weird noise in his gimble at fire up too. Def defective.

Hey KevMo, what kind of sound did your friend experience? Mine makes a whining sounds on start ups but I believe all the P2s and 3s I’ve owned did that. Perhaps I’m mistaken.

How I ended up on this thread was due to rolling shutter in structures ie window lines, but I have more testing to do since I’m just learning about using camera manual mode in flight.

Hey KevMo, what kind of sound did your friend experience? Mine makes a whining sounds on start ups but I believe all the P2s and 3s I’ve owned did that. Perhaps I’m mistaken.

How I ended up on this thread was due to rolling shutter in structures ie window lines, but I have more testing to do since I’m just learning about using camera manual mode in flight.
His was a little louder than the normal whirling kind of sound. You are talking about stills aren't you?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor