Roll your own.

These days I don't see the point in building the frame yourself. You can buy excellent frames for a cheap quad for less than $50.
It's the motors, ESCs, receiver, motors and flight controller that cost the money.

I am in two camps on stuff like this. Personally I'd love that satisfaction of building something totally from scratch. Knowing its yours and there isn't another one exactly like it out there.

I also totally agree with Rilot that from a cost point its really not worth it on a quad unless its just for the satisfaction or some bonkers design. Genuine DJI kits are cheap... fakes DJI kits are even cheaper..
Would I still do it? Probably... would it be cheaper than a purchased frame? No chance... trial and error, throw away bits, the right fastenings just to make it 'perfect' all mount up.

Those that watch the flitetest guys on your tube can see what amazing results can be gained from DIY though. The shots Sweedish David gets with his DIY tricopter give gimbals a run for their money and its just a wooden frame with a KK2 board (skilled pilot helps too :lol: )

I agree with you both. Just the satisfaction of going to Home Depot to build / replace parts would be nice. But I understand reinventing wheels.

Until you see the picture of the quad the guy built out of his stuffed dead cat, you can't truly appreciate the full meaning of "DIY."

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj