ROLL CALL: People Who have experienced P3P 1.2.6 firmware Issues - To be Sent to DJI "Customer Svc"

I experienced erratic flight today (6/30) that caused a failure to control the bird (Both in P-GPS, P-ATTI and ATTI modes). Eventually, the ground stopped it. I have the latest firmware installed on the Bird and controller (v1.2.6) and running the latest iOS app 1.2.0. I've been talking with support and have sent documentation to DJI in LA. We will see what, if anything, happens next.

The final moments

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That looks like a bird attacked you???

@Pumpfixer no birds involved. P3 was only 200-ish feet away and about 125 feet up. No obstructions or other things got in the way. If I can screen record the pilot app you'll see that gps went to pot swapped over to p-atti and then back the gps until I tried just atti. But I could not bring it down or back to me safely. It was banking severely and was near impossible to control.

I have not flown mine since making a claim with DJI support and the response was for me to call the phone tech's and get a RMA and ship them my quad.

I feel like since I no absolutely NO issues whatsoever prior to the last update that the update itself was corrupt and needs to be reloaded or a newer update. So because the P3P's firmware can not be loaded with a older version or same version, I will wait and see the out come of the next update. There is no way I will ship my quad and be without for 7-8 weeks for them to just reload the firmware.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that there was NO real reason for the last update. As you can see in the list below.

I had zero issues with my quad. I never heard ANYONE complain of something not working as it should.

We always had the option to go back to a older firmware version, and now we do not.

I more then likely could have cured my issue myself had I had the option to load a older version and then the new version.

Firmware 1.2.6 change Log
1. Anti-distortion feature added for images and non-4K videos.
2.Various bug fixes.

This is why I own 2 now a P3A and A P3P So if have different firmwares and only update on at a time
That way I have one to fly as I rotate them back and forth to Calif DJI:(:(:(:(:(

I decided to start a thread to see exactly which users have experienced issues when upgrading to P3P Firmware 1.2.6. We know DJI monitors these boards. I am going to do one better and send this thread to the all star team at DJI. These issues include some or all of the following:

Ultrasonic System Error: Please Land As Soon As Possible
Vertical drifting ascending and descending, while off stick
Instability/Inability to hold GPS lock
Erratic flying behavior
Toilet bowling
Shaking

Some people have been asking if they should upgrade from 1.1.9 (No, duh). Some have accused that this is a completely isolated incident experienced by an insignificant number of us. I believe that to be completely untrue, and am committed to forcing DJI to take accountability. It is well within the capability of a billion dollar company to empower their customer service employees to send out a firmware file that can revert or reinstall the current firmware revision, at their discretion, to negatively affected customers. By not doing so they are directly responsible for damage to our Phantoms, people, and property when these quads start wrecking due to this software issue.

Please, if you are someone who has experienced performance issues after switching to 1.2.6, drop a quick line and chime in. Let's let our voice be heard.

Why not create a forum poll? I don't have one of these birds, but it would seem to me you'd get a lot more input from a poll and leaving the results open ended so that people could select which failures of the many you've mentioned that each poster has experienced.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/ gives awesome flexibility and results. You can cross post to many different sites like here and RCGroups to see what everyone has to say.

Just trying to help.

Here was my experience from another thread:

Hello folks. I'm new to the quad arena but have been into RC for over 30 years. I own a Phantom 3 Pro and found this forum because of a failed firmware update to version 1.2.6. I had performed two other updates both without a hitch prior to this one. Aircraft up to this point had been performing flawlessly.
Here is what happened. Twenty min into the update the drone LED lights turned off and the gimble started to make a machine like semi grinding sound like it was trying to beep. That in itself was odd but the most troubling part was how hot the gimble was getting. After the 35 min mark and against my better judgement, I powered down.
I let the aircraft cool down and powered it back up only to be greated with no lights but an incredibly load alarm like sound. At that point I was nearly convinced that I had created the perverbial 'boat anchor'. I took the SD card out and noted that the log indicated that, despite the outward inactivity other than the sound, the aircraft was updating itself. I then followed a very precise procedure that others had followed that included formatting the SD card and using the controller to make another attempt. I locked the aircraft we in the vehicle (to dampen the alarm like noise) turned on the air conditioner and sat with the aircraft to see if it would update. To my amazement, after 12 min the lights came back on, the gimble did its dance and the tone indicating that the update had completed was chiming. Power cycled the aircraft several times with no problems. Text file indicated that the update was successful. I allowed the aircraft to completely cool off and then did an IMU, gibmle and compass calibration (in that order).
I have flown the aircraft Hello folks. I'm new to the quad arena but have been into RC for over 30 years. I own a Phantom 3 Pro and found this forum because of a failed firmware update to version 1.2.6. I had performed two other updates both without a hitch prior to this one. Aircraft up to this point had been performing flawlessly.
Here is what happened. Twenty min into the update the drone LED lights turned off and the gimble started to make a machine like semi grinding sound like it was trying to beep. That in itself was odd but the most troubling part was how hot the gimble was getting. After the 35 min mark and against my better judgement, I powered down.
I let the aircraft cool down and powered it back up only to be greated with no lights but an incredibly load alarm like sound. At that point I was nearly convinced that I had created the perverbial 'boat anchor'. I took the SD card out and noted that the log indicated that, despite the outward inactivity other than the sound, the aircraft was updating itself. I then followed a very precise procedure that others had followed that included formatting the SD card and using the controller to make another attempt. I locked the aircraft we in the vehicle (to dampen the alarm like noise) turned on the air conditioner and sat with the aircraft to see if it would update. To my amazement, after 12 min the lights came back on, the gimble did its dance and the tone indicating that the update had completed was chiming. Power cycled the aircraft several times with no problems. Text file indicated that the update was successful. I allowed the aircraft to completely cool off and then did an IMU, gibmle and compass calibration (in that order).
I have flown the aircraft about 6 times since without any perceivable problems and its flying just like before with no issues to the VPS.
I shared the with DJI and was shocked how...unamused they were.

Since the (almost two weeks and 12 flights) not a single issue.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Albert

I have done IMU advanced calibration on a perfectly level surface (checked with bubble level), non-metallic surface. I've done both room temperature and cold calibrations. I perform a compass calibration prior to every flight. I set my phone on airplane mode and leave it away from my quad so there in no EMF interference during calibration. I have tried calibrating the RC as well (gimbal wheel included). I have been unable to achieve any significant improvement in performance.

I do appreciate you trying to help me and others on here who are having major issues.

Would you happen to have a .txt or .dat or either a already converted to a .csv file you could send me of any of your flight attempts?

Btw, I'm still able to fly my quad, I just chose to wait for the firmware update.

This is a repost from another string I started but it's worth putting it here because they've totally ruined my perfectly good P3P!

Repost:

1. My camera fails mid flight and it's unpredictable. Really it seems like it stops recognizing the SD card. Most of the time the video continues to stream for the FPV and the camera "locks up", meaning it looks as if it is recording but the time is frozen and none of the buttons respond. Additionally where the exposure, number of pic's left, recording time left, ISO, etc is all shows "N/A" making me think the SD Card is just.... going away? I've used all class 10 cards including the one that came with the unit. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It could go for 10 min without a failure or it could go 30 seconds. Also, in the extreme case the camera "stopped" to the point that the FPV link looked good but there was no video. Of course this happened while about a mile out over the ocean... but it came back and the map, altitude, distance, speed, altitude, etc still worked. Any ideas? Help? Seems like a fresh install of the latest firmware would maybe help but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that?

2. My settings DON'T stick. Specifically the gimbal settings, every time I fire the thing up I have to go into the gimbal settings and reset them. It insists on keeping the settings I originally put in when I first bought it. Turns out I didn't like those setting and I want the default settings back. I keep hitting the reset button and they work fine but then when I take it out the next time there they are again, all messed up. It's driving me crazy! Also, now that same behavior is happening with the camera. Once maybe 5 or 6 flights ago the camera failed mid flight while it was in manual mode and now every I fire up the P3P it comes up in manual mode totally overexposed because when it failed I was shooting long exposure night photos of the Golden Gate bride.... They didn't come out. Now it's stuck and won't stay at the default settings even though I reset it each time I fly.

Needless to say EXTREEMLY frustrating and I've learned my lesion regarding the firmware updates.

Anyone have suggestions? BTW, yes I've tried to reset everything back to the original settings performed ALL calibrations and reinstalled the IOS app.

+ Toilet bowl
+ It seems like the range is less
+ Gimbal over heats
+ I've had it say overcurrent warning several times.

BAD DJI!

Craig

Another pissed-off customer here, with a credit card that refunds pissed off customers and back-charges bullshi'ite vendors that won't fix their products.
I know others may disagree, but I sure feel like a Beta tester that shelled out a bunch of $ to test a product. What's worse, no one at DJI has a clue about customer service. Just read the posts on problems if you doubt this thing isn't full of bugs. Even Advexure, who I purchased this from, has not returned two emails over almost five days asking for help on the Gimbal Overload issue. I'll give this a few more days and then I'll let the same card you have handle it..

Frank, all of us have tried this. The firmware effected probably about 25% of these UAV's In a bad way. My UAV was solid as a rock before 1.2.8

Good luck with that. DJI know only too well about the issues and they are working at a fix.
The kind of issues being encountered are relatively minor and it should be fine to fly without fear of damage to Phantoms, people, and property.
My P3P was doing great. I have no issues when I still have the 1.1.9 in it. when I updated to the latest 1.2.6 firmware. I noticed the following on my first flight just after the firmware update.
*Motors seems to sound louder like at times sounds like a grinding noise.
*Vibrate a lot.
*Drifting in a no wind situation.
*from 8ft hover after taking off then I released sticks and the unit slowly descent and keep on going
until I interfere when it reach 4 feet.
*Vision positioning system seem not working. the unit drifts to left or right, backwards and forward.
this happens when I am indoor hovering 4 to 5 ft.
*It don't fly straight, always drifts to the right. no wind condition.
*The camera is little to the left. it's not parallel to the unit.
*line of sight flying, antenna are perpendicular to the ground and I saw a red warning. saying weak signal, no signal at around 500 feet (not meter), the warning lasted maybe 2 seconds.
Note: I've calibrated IUM trice already since I have the new firmware update. also auto calibrate the
gimbal. I've cooled the Phantom (left it outside for at least 45 minutes to get it cooled as much as
possible before calibrating and I live in Alaska so it is cool outside). My Phantom was dandy and fly
really smooth before this firmware update. I have logged in total of 7 hours flight prior to the new firmware update. I've never had problem or issue then.

I know others may disagree, but I sure feel like a Beta tester that shelled out a bunch of $ to test a product. What's worse, no one at DJI has a clue about customer service. Just read the posts on problems if you doubt this thing isn't full of bugs. Even Advexure, who I purchased this from, has not returned two emails over almost five days asking for help on the Gimbal Overload issue. I'll give this a few more days and then I'll let the same card you have handle it..

Hi Jeffrey,

At this point in time we do not have any emails awaiting a response. Please email us at [email protected], PM us here, or give us a call tomorrow at (855) 625-2055 and we will gladly assist.

Thanks,
Mike

I decided to start a thread to see exactly which users have experienced issues when upgrading to P3P Firmware 1.2.6. We know DJI monitors these boards. I am going to do one better and send this thread to the all star team at DJI. These issues include some or all of the following:

Ultrasonic System Error: Please Land As Soon As Possible
Vertical drifting ascending and descending, while off stick
Instability/Inability to hold GPS lock
Erratic flying behavior
Toilet bowling
Shaking

Some people have been asking if they should upgrade from 1.1.9 (No, duh). Some have accused that this is a completely isolated incident experienced by an insignificant number of us. I believe that to be completely untrue, and am committed to forcing DJI to take accountability. It is well within the capability of a billion dollar company to empower their customer service employees to send out a firmware file that can revert or reinstall the current firmware revision, at their discretion, to negatively affected customers. By not doing so they are directly responsible for damage to our Phantoms, people, and property when these quads start wrecking due to this software issue.

Please, if you are someone who has experienced performance issues after switching to 1.2.6, drop a quick line and chime in. Let's let our voice be heard.
Thank you for starting this thread. My P3P has had no problems of any kind until I upgraded the firmware from 1.1.9 to 1.2.6. The upgrade process went well on both the drone as well as the controller. I did just as the first time I flew this P3P, 1st I did a cold advanced IMU calibration on a level surface away from any metal or magnetic objects, and 2nd I did a compass calibration. My takeoff flight pad is also level and away from metal and or magnet objects. 1st flight with firmware 1.2.6 I had liftoff and hovered 4 feet up, she jacked forward and drove herself "off Stick" into our trampoline safety netting. It went to the ground with props still spinning. I pulled down and in with the controller sticks and it took what seemed like forever to turn off. I did a second compass calibration and it flew better, but seemed to have trouble with drifting. The last time out, I redid the cold IMU, compass calibrations as well as turned off the VPS system. This time up at 4 feet once again she headed in her own direction while "off stick" again. I spent the next few minutes pushing my controllers 180 degrees opposite the direction the drone was heading. It finally calmed down and I had it hovering "off stick" again lowered it a bit to make an air grab. Just when made my way there, it took off again. I again used my controller sticks to counter it's actions and got it down in my lower field of grass. I made my way there and found it on it's top. The top cover is popped open a tad on the front right leg, other then that she is not scratched. I called dji usa support and have mailed it to them so they can have a look at it.
I want to add something more here. I am not mad at dji or jacked up against them. These things happen and we just have to make the best of it. I do however wish someone from dji would come out of the woodwork and let us know something, good or bad....something is better than nothing.
20150624_213454.jpg

The thing that pisses me off is DJI says "Just Shut VPS off". My response is ok that's fine but I paid for VPS and stability when I'm shooting shots close to the ground.....

cmyk22 ..... Jason H.

I took the time to slow your video down to maybe help see things a little better.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@flyNfrank thanks. Still pains me to see it. All I can do is flash back to 12:35pm cst today and tried to wrangle it back to safety. I'm hopeful that something positive will come from this. Any thoughts as to the cause of the erratic behavior of the P3? Btw, no bird strikes...composite hub props. No major mods to the bird. Just quick release prop guards (guards not attached). UAVbits carbon fiber gimbal protector.

Last edited:
I've updated and things seems fine (one flight). On start up I was requested to calibrate the IMU. I've seen it before. I just wait and after it connects to satellites - the warning disappears and I get the safe to fly message. I calibrate before every flight. No noticeable issues tonight.

Wondering if those that are having issues if their P3's were made at or near the same time...?

Mark.

Actually, that is what Tahoe Ed is for. Once upon a time....It was thought that Ed was to bridge the gap between the internet users and DJI. I'm guessing now he would say he has a different agenda, and maybe someone else now is suppose to have the responsibility?

Earlier this year I reached out to Tahoe Ed which is something I almost never ever do. I got nearly instant responses back from Ed when I was 1st asking him about his position with working for DJI. Once I knew he was the man that could help me in my situation, I filled him in with a little info only to never hear from him again. I realized I made a mistake reaching out to Ed and I must of had his position with the company all wrong. Maybe Ed can let us know who the person is we can turn to every now & then instead of having to call a Phone Tech that generally don't have the answers? A DJI Service & Support Rep would be great.

There is a couple of guys here who masquerade in that manner, in reality, I notice they never really solve anyone's issues, but have a lot to say about the product. 99% is correct, but in reality there is seldom if ever any REAL inside info from them... From what i have seen mostly "look what i have"...

I suggested this http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/why-does-dji-not-communicate-petition-dji.46730/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic