"Rogue Drone" in California (YouTube video)

Would be interesting to see logs and topography to confirm or deny what was happening before RTH, Legit? or was the RTH set to that height as an excuse to test the legal framework if he got caught?

Yeah it doesn't look good to be up at 750+ feet or whatever it was.

The video is dated December 17, and the host said that this happened "last week" in the SF Bay area. The drone owner said he was flying at 8:30 or 9pm, which would certainly be in darkness.
Plus flying at 8:30-9pm in total darkness. I'm sort of surprised he is on record admitting those two things. I guess since these are only guidelines?

Yeah it doesn't. But the lawyer mentioned something about his house being on a hill. If he flew out over the valley, and the drone rose somewhat during RTH, it would be easy for it to rise to 750 above ground level but still be say 200 feet over the home position.

AFAIK it's legal to fly at night.
It's more of how he is trying to portray himself as caring so much about safety, yet saying that he was flying much too high for the situation and with reduced visibility of his surroundings and any obstacles.

I think that flying at night is fun and exciting, but I have rarely done it myself since to me (only my opinion) it goes against the spirit of the current guidelines. Even so, if I were in the spotlight for being a "rogue" drone pilot I wouldn't be making public comments about flying at night or above recommended altitudes. It seems foolish to say those things considering his circumstances.

Last edited:
I mostly fly at night and always have LOS. Much easier to see the lights.

Reactions: phantom13flyer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj