RIT Dye

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447110306.167849.jpg

I used Sunshine Orange and Black. Just regular liquid RIT DYE from Hobby Lobby.
30 mins each in 90C water.
Thought they came out pretty good.

Reactions: Jake Deer
Yup. Just before boiling. Worked for me.

Ahh... ok. So.. sorry if this sounds like a silly question... So do you keep the water that hot for the whole process? Or just get it to that temp, toss the dye and blades in, and let it sit off heat? Thinking of doing my props blue, to match the blue stripe stickers on my Phantom.

Brought it to temp, transferred water into a tall hurricane glass and just let it sit. Didn't want to put them in the pit I brought to temp in just in case the bottom that was on the burner was too hot. Hope this makes sense.

I did same as AirApparent. Poured the almost boiling water into a vase, dropped the blades in and started a 30 minute timer.

Ok, so still sorry for all the questions... I got the dye, the Rit liquid dye (lucky I have a Hobby Lobby 10 minutes away)... So is there a formula to this? Like how much dye for how much water? Or do you just get a vase/pitcher, etc. and dump the whole bottle in? First time doing this, so I want to do it right the first time...

EDIT: annnnnnd... after I post this I decide to look back and see the post about 4 cups of water, etc... grrr... sorry about that.. :(

I used 5 tablespoons of dye. Not exactly sure on water but probably around 4 cups.

I used 5 tablespoons of dye. Not exactly sure on water but probably around 4 cups.

Yea, that's what the other post said. If I actually took the time to check I'd be all set... lol... Going to try it tonight. I got "Royal Blue". Wanted to try to match the stripes stickers. we'll see though... the orange looks awesome too...

Ok... so here's my result. I used the Royal Blue RIT Dye, took about 5 cups of water almost to boil, dumped the water into a Pyrex pan, put about 6 tablespoons of dye in the water, then threw the blades in for 30 minutes. I sorta like the result, but there's just one spot I'm worried about: On the prop, right at the center point, the blade bends downward on both sides... at that point the dye seemed to drip to that point, on both sides, and it makes that point a little darker than the rest of it. I ended up rinsing the blades in cold water to see if it would wash that excess dye away, but I don't think it did. I'll have to wait till morning when they are totally dry. Now this has gotten me wanting to get more blades and do more colors... lol...

I actually didn't think it was going to be that dark of a blue, but I still like it...

IMG_1089.JPG

Hallo guys, I just coloured my props with regular Rit... Wonderful! I also put in the original DJI prop guards and they also came out perfect, while the snap on type (quick removal prop guards from Dokpav) remained pure white... So I am going to test the "poly die", is it the "Rit Dye More" version? Has anyone tested it on those prop guards yet?
Thanks in advance for your help

Hallo guys, I just coloured my props with regular Rit... Wonderful! I also put in the original DJI prop guards and they also came out perfect, while the snap on type (quick removal prop guards from Dokpav) remained pure white... So I am going to test the "poly die", is it the "Rit Dye More" version? Has anyone tested it on those prop guards yet?
The poly will do a shell so might do guards also . Was told it stinks bad .

I used poly-dye on the shell parts of my P2. Poly-dye will penetrate it. Do it outside as it has a terrible smell that can't be good to breath.
As I recall I used this...
Large_237708.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie