RIT Dye

@AirApparent those look good but how did ya get the white emblems like that ?
and @Fyod Ya better listen to what TJ said about the shell cause I know the Rite dye won't do it .
And ya right about once ya do it....it's done and that's what ya have ! Period :eek:
@LuvMyTJ will tell ya all about doing your shell !
All I ever did was props . And after it was all over and done with all I do now is stripe the tips of mine
and just use scotch tape for the line and a red and blue Sharpie pen for the color .
Hey Dirk. Went to Michaels arts and crafts, bought the sticky letters in the scrap book aisle and went to town. Make sure you really press down on them good before putting in due or they will leak like you see in one or two of mine. Once dyed and dried, peel the stickers off and you have the white base.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well, not exactly the red/blue I was hoping for...the Blue is Rit royal and just the shade I wanted, in for less than 10 mins w just below boiling water. The Rit cherry didn't seem to want to take...so after 20 mins, I added more hot water and left for 45 mins and this is what I got...not horrendous, I won't be ashamed to fly w these :)
Looks good tricky.

Reactions: Tricky
They both look good ! I first tried with tape Air and that didn't go so well :eek: And that red gave me a time as I kept getting pink
but did get em were I wanted and then had that bad crash and just started with the striped tips with the sharpie :)
I did weigh them before and after dying them back in that thread and ya can see it don't add no weight at all !

Thanks guys. I would like to do the controller shell, because its dirty all the time. Hope to get it right the first time :)
Keep in mind the dye does not penetrate very far and it will show scratches. And be sure to use 'poly dye' for the shell of the bird or controller. I did mine in blue. Do it in a well ventilated space as the poly dye smells terrible, outside or an open garage would be best.

Reactions: dirkclod
Is it a real pain to take apart the controller and put it back together to dye it?
I have been into mine to do mods but never just striped it. I would think if ya took a lot of pictures and were comfortable going into it ya wouldn't
have no problems . I just never have bro . :)

Here's my attempt at dying my props. I wish they came out a little darker. But they match the color I picked out. I used the liquid Rit and only used about 4 table spoons and 4 cups of water. Heated the water to 90 Celsius and put the props in for about 25 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20151102_210547~2.jpg
    IMG_20151102_210547~2.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 394
Reactions: stones
Do you have to cover or do anything for the silver and black tops on props or do they not take the dye?

Do you have to cover or do anything for the silver and black tops on props or do they not take the dye?
It depends on the dye used. I was doing my shell and RC shell so I threw in the props and the black came off the nuts. I was using 'poly dye' and it is not the same as the regular dye. It was RIT but the special 'poly' version. The regular dye will not penetrate the shell, just the props due to the plastic type. The poly dye smells horrible too so do it outside or in a ventilated garage.

FIY - you can always put thin tape on the tips for stripes and remove when dry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20