Rit-dye questions

Reaction score
Hi guys. My Rit-dye arrived today. How much should I use. Going to dye the props 2 different colours (red and blue) going to be around 6 props each so my questions are

1) do I have to use the whole packet as I would like to keep some back in case I want to dye more props in future

2) how long shall I leave it in the dye. I want it to be a bright colour (like light blue and not dark blue)

3) how hot should the water be. Will use the kettle to boil water. I understand I don't want it boiling as it may warp the plastic props

Thanks in advanced

Neon Euc

I know people claim that it doesn't affect performance, but I believe that it does. Compared to the stock props, dyed props, or at least unbalanced ones, mess with the drone's balance, and that's from experience. If you are going to go through with it, make sure you balance it properly.

Neon Euc, check out this post for instructions on dyeing your props.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I know people claim that it doesn't affect performance, but I believe that it does. Compared to the stock props, dyed props, or at least unbalanced ones, mess with the drone's balance, and that's from experience. If you are going to go through with it, make sure you balance it properly.
Been dying props for several years and have to disagree with ya . It does not mess with the balance and it does not affect performance at all .
And this is coming from dying I can't count the props I've dyed .I check balance and also weight and has never changed anything .
Neon I have never used a whole pack but just a little and I just use as hot as tap water as I could .The longer you leave them in the darker they will get .
Takes some experimenting to get it down pat . I used old props to start with to figure out what I wanted and then went from there .
My first try I tried red and got pink . Everyone has there own method and that is mine .

Thanks for all the help and advice. Will give it a shot now and check on it each hour. Will out half a packet in it

Neon Euc

First set is done. Now onto the second set. Bit tricky as it's a light pink, but want it red.. If I leave it too long it will be dark red. So it's a balancing act
1483540819835.jpg

Neon Euc

I put it in Luke warm water in the end. Seems to be ok so far. Will do a flight and see how it handles

Neon Euc

I know how it will handle and will be the same as before you did them . It is a trick to getting them right Neon and seems the last set I did I put them back in and they got darker .
Never used that hot of water Road so can't speak on that but if you want to add color dyeing is the best way .
I had this thing about Red, White and Blue so used to dye em like this
red2.jpg Then just tried using a sharpie to to the tipsFullSizeRender.jpg Now that's all I have time to do
And even doing them on OleReb . I just like to personalize mine . Is not for everyone :)

See how far out of balance the prop is after you dye'd just balancing it on at centerpunch tool or sharp pencil. I have a real hard time believing the dye affects anything to do with balance or integrity of the prop.

It doesn't and only will be out of balance if it was before you dyed it .
It don't even change the weight of the props .
Prop.jpg Prop1.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. Haven't flown yet but dirkclod is spot on with the weight. Cheers mate.

Neon Euc

Reactions: dirkclod
Just tried dying my props. I'm very happy with the royal purple and racing red. I tried yellow and used the whole bottle (rather than just a few teaspoons) and those just turned out looking like sun-yellowed plastic.
c7f2698f747b65c26d42185820b2ccb7.jpg

The entire prop was submerged in the dye (Rit Dye More) so the hubs were covered too. Is that what you meant?

You know it's been awhile since I dyed any and had to be the weaker one. You can look a few post back where I weighed
One before and after and see what I mean.
They look good I just wondered how you did it. :)

I see what you mean. Mine just came out like you see here. I used the Dye More version in hot water and left them about 30 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31