RIT dye props - Beware of knockoffs

Reaction score
That was very disappointing. I purchased 2 sets of cheap props on eBay and finally got around to dying them today along with two other sets of DJI's. The knockoffs would take NO color. Washed them off and they are still as white as they were out of the package while the DJI's turned out beautifully.

Serves me right... I know, but it was from a very reputable U.S. seller that has sold over 1400 sets of 8 and has great feedback... as well as customer reviews that were glowing. On top of that.. every single one had to be balanced quite a bit.

Make sure you know what material they are made out of before you buy. They feel nearly identical in flex and weight, but they are obviously not. It never even occured to me to ask.

That was very disappointing. I purchased 2 sets of cheap props on eBay and finally got around to dying them today along with two other sets of DJI's. The knockoffs would take NO color. Washed them off and they are still as white as they were out of the package while the DJI's turned out beautifully.

Serves me right... I know, but it was from a very reputable U.S. seller that has sold over 1400 sets of 8 and has great feedback... as well as customer reviews that were glowing. On top of that.. every single one had to be balanced quite a bit.

Make sure you know what material they are made out of before you buy. They feel nearly identical in flex and weight, but they are obviously not. It never even occured to me to ask.
The acceptance of dye does not insure quality of a prop.

The acceptance of dye does not insure quality of a prop.

Agreed. I wasn't knocking the quality, just that if someone is planning to dye their props, some of the knock-offs won't take color. DJI's always do. The props themselves aren't too bad at all after you put some work into them. These are FC brand 9450's.

Just because they will not accept dye doesn't mean that they are not genuine. Manufacturers change production processes all the time. The ones that will not accept dye may be an improved version with a slightly different compound of plastic to prevent UV damage or deterioration.
All manufacturers that have any sort or Research and development department will do this.
Everyone is so quick to yell "I have been scammed" or "these are fake" because they have an extra number or marking.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj