RIP Phantom Vision

lgeist said:
I emailed WaterBuoy about two months ago and they finally replied to me last week. They said that they discontinued the original model due to problems but will soon be releasing a "new and improved" model and will notify me when it becomes available. I'll post to the forum when I hear back from them.

I'm hoping they come out with a new one that works decently.

FYI, for anyone looking for a cheap and quick way to recover your phantom while over water just attach two water bottles with zip ties. I attach them only while flying over water and doing water shots.

spanktimonious said:
havasuphoto said:
..and, the Phantom would still be ruined because of the water intrusion

That is incorrect.

Why do you feel compelled to post stuff like this when you have no experience with the issue being discussed?

Facts = good
Idle speculation = not helpful

Dude ..... love your new avatar :cool:

Scottrod said:
FYI, for anyone looking for a cheap and quick way to recover your phantom while over water just attach two water bottles with zip ties. I attach them only while flying over water and doing water shots.

Care to share a pic?

Jebus said:
Scottrod said:

Care to share a pic?

Sorry no pic of it with them installed. I will make sure to get one next time. It looks a little like a flying dumpster when they are "installed" but I'm confident they would keep it buoyant long enough for me to recover.

I put them on the outsides of the legs.

Scottrod said:
Jebus said:
Scottrod said:

Care to share a pic?

Sorry no pic of it with them installed. I will make sure to get one next time. It looks a little like a flying dumpster when they are "installed" but I'm confident they would keep it buoyant long enough for me to recover.

I put them on the outsides of the legs.

Cool. Have you noticed a big difference in flight characteristics when you have them strapped on?

lgeist said:
I emailed WaterBuoy about two months ago and they finally replied to me last week. They said that they discontinued the original model due to problems but will soon be releasing a "new and improved" model and will notify me when it becomes available. I'll post to the forum when I hear back from them.

I also messaged them after finding it hard to find any available, this way there reply

Dear Neil

Thank you for your enquiry. We decided to halt production on the Waterbuoy last year whilst we re-designed it to develop a new and improved range.

We are currently in the process of finalising the new design and are hoping to start producing them towards the middle to end of this year.

I will add you to our mailing list and be sure to let you know when the new units will be available in stores!

Many thanks for your patience and your continued interest in our product. Please keep in touch…

Kind regards

Lucy and the Waterbuoy Team

streetcreep said:
I am buying these for the summer i think it will be worth it .. also noticed Mr Rotorpixel himself now uses these after losing some in the water .

http://www.water-buoy.com
It takes 1kg Most phantoms are just over that, Mine is about 1.2 I think. Perhaps you will need to attach 2 of them?

ResevorDG said:
streetcreep said:
I am buying these for the summer i think it will be worth it .. also noticed Mr Rotorpixel himself now uses these after losing some in the water .

http://www.water-buoy.com
It takes 1kg Most phantoms are just over that, Mine is about 1.2 I think. Perhaps you will need to attach 2 of them?

Yeah we have established the current version of these are bad thanks to some video on here .. Maybe ver 2 will be good .. pop bottles and the getterback items seem to be reasonable alternatives at this point

All,

I have the rest of my phantom parts a lot never used in classified section if you are looking to pick up a few spare parts below retail.

Yes. It was a very long walk to the car, felt like a walk of shame especially in a park full of people watching the phantom fly and then go down.

Though a got to say the people on this board have been very supportive, for most part a great group of people which makes me think of not totally giving it up by trying it again. Maybe someone will eventually cover these things with some kind of insurance certainly give me piece of mind and want to go flying again.

The silver lining is I was able to sell all my spare phantom parts to folks on this board to recoup some of the lost.

Thanks everyone for their support and hope to one day fly again.

I'm from RI and was just waiting for the weather to warm up. Had planned to hit Newport and Narragansett, now I'm a little apprehensive.
As we haven't had too many days over freezing lately, do you think ice on the props may have been the problem or did you just loose connection.

slicknet said:
I'm from RI and was just waiting for the weather to warm up. Had planned to hit Newport and Narragansett, now I'm a little apprehensive.
As we haven't had too many days over freezing lately, do you think ice on the props may have been the problem or did you just loose connection.

I was wondering the same. I have been flying single-engine, fixed wing [real] aircraft for some 35 years; and I know many copter pilots. We have somewhat of a shared mantra we've found to be true: "aircraft don't just fall out of the sky".
Unless there was a serious mechanical malfunction, then flying conditions would normally explain an accident, and that could include pilot error.
Flying over water is no more risky than over land, if all flight systems are operating normally.
I'd say closely following a maintenance and pre-flight regimen, establishing a well-thought-out flight plan, and then making a smart decision about weather before going would ensure ownership of an old aircraft.
Sorry if I appear to lecture, but I have 3 adult sons and 4 grandchildren, and that's what happens ...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie