Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Rio Tinto Stadium - Not Happy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tcope, Nov 9, 2015.

1. tcope

I recently tried out Drone Doply to create a 3D image and used the Rio Tinto Stadium as a test. I was closed at the time and no one was there. I thought I'd share the results with them and emailed the link to the model. I also pointed out that I used Hivemapper to determine the height of the stadium and that Drone Deploy had many safety features built into the software. This is their response:

Todd,

Please take down the link of the 3D rendering of Rio Tinto Stadium. Did anyone give you permission to fly your drone on our property?

I wrote back and pointed out that I was not on their property and rather on a public sidewalk. I pointed out that the airspace was public. I also referred them to Google Map and Google Earth that has much better images in much better detail. I stated that I did not see the need to remove the image. I tried to be short as I don't see this person as being receptive to a full explanation. Also, they are the Event person so I doubt they understand the subject. I like to share my results with people in the hopes that they will see the good use of drones. However, sometime you just can't win.

2. Fyod

They're afraid of bad publicity.

3. tcope

Kind of. They emailed me back and said that they did not have any issue with what I did but that they did not want to encourage others to fly over the stadium. They cited the two recent crashes into stadiums. I see their point but of course from their perspective they don't want anyone flying a drone anywhere near their stadium at any time.