Right drift

Reaction score
Did any body ever figure out how to stop the uncontrolled drift to the right after you send it straight out away from you in gps mode ? I know you can correct it with left stick , but it's annoying because if you don't stop it, it will keep on going. I don't remember it doing that when I first got it with vers. 2.00/3.00 software. Noticed after first upgrade. No problem but shouldn't be doing it in gps mode when you let off on the stick.

Unfortunately the GPS module is screwed down in one location. The normal way to adjust for drift is to compensate for Magnetic north by rotating the GPS. Example Eastcoast US adjust counterclockwise and Westcoast US clockwise. Because of the fixed location there's nothing that can be done easily to fix the problem. Possibly since our compass is attached to the landing gear rotation that may work, or externally mounting a standard DJI GPS on the outside of the housing.

BruceTS said:
Unfortunately the GPS module is screwed down in one location. The normal way to adjust for drift is to compensate for Magnetic north by rotating the GPS. Example Eastcoast US adjust counterclockwise and Westcoast US clockwise. Because of the fixed location there's nothing that can be done easily to fix the problem. Possibly since our compass is attached to the landing gear rotation that may work, or externally mounting a standard DJI GPS on the outside of the housing.
Thanks for the info,I can correct as long as it is in my sight, it's just an annoying thing. I do remember reading a post about the deviation somewhere,maybe it was yours, although I think that was on a regular quad where the gps was in the open and could be adjusted. I just don't remember it doing that when I first got it. Thanks again for the reply.

I dont get any drift in mine using gps mode, well there is the odd drift in a gps hover but it stays surprisingly steady even In a strong breeze but its not to any particular direction. Flying in gps mode mine fly's pretty much in the nose direction even with a decent crosswind. By any chance are you not quite pushing the right stick straight up but also slightly to the right? This could be easy enough to do and if you get into a habit of doing it you wouldn't even realize so it may be one thing to check.

If its drifitng right even in a hover then there may be an issue with one of your motors or the naza may not be positioned correctly inside. I dont think the orientation of the gps would have any effect as this is just a basic antenna, the things that can screw with the naza orientation is compass alignment or naza alignment. It could also help to do a radio calibration as it may be giving some right pitch along with forward if not properly calibrated.

Hi guys,actually drift isn't quite the word to express what it does. I send it away from me, which at my house is north, about say 200 - 300 feet more or less in gps mode. Then I release the stick and it stops going north but takes off to the right, which is east without touching the stick, like it was in att mode. If I didn't give it left stick to stop it, it would keep on going. After a few corrections it holds ok. In strong wind, it holds great. It's just the initial correction when the flight first starts that it does it. After that it flies fine. If I don't send it away from me at first it doesn't do it until I do. Hope I haven't confused you, I'm 73 and don't express things like I used to. Thanks

Gary39 said:
Hi guys,actually drift isn't quite the word to express what it does. I send it away from me, which at my house is north, about say 200 - 300 feet more or less in gps mode. Then I release the stick and it stops going north but takes off to the right, which is east without touching the stick, like it was in att mode. If I didn't give it left stick to stop it, it would keep on going. After a few corrections it holds ok. In strong wind, it holds great. It's just the initial correction when the flight first starts that it does it. After that it flies fine. If I don't send it away from me at first it doesn't do it until I do. Hope I haven't confused you, I'm 73 and don't express things like I used to. Thanks

I don't think anything is wrong with your GPS or compass because you said,"If I didn't give it left stick to stop it,".
This happens to me too and it seems like the beginning of the flight in GPS mode, the Phantom seems to be drifted or wander about a little and then settle down to a respectable position hold.
Also it could be the location where you fly, try somewhere else and see if the problems persists.

Thanks for the reply, it may have done this from the start, I don't remember, it was cold and snowy back then and I was too worried about being cold than paying attention to it. Just seems like it didn't start until I started upgrades. Oh well,now the weather is warmer, and I pay more attention, I notice every little thing. Took me forever to understand course lock. I have acres of land behind me,not all mine but the guy that owns it is a pilot and doesn't mind if I fly off my measly 10 acres. Kind of stuck flying off my back deck as I can't walk anymore, or see hardly beyond my 10 acres, but I have fun with the phantom. I can still fly and be relatvely safe. Sounds like yours is like mine, no big problem but annoying,not like they show in the videos.
Thanks again

Perhaps the CL and HL can be explained with my diagram below:

CL-vs-HL-01_zpsfbf621ef.jpg

As you can see from my diagram above, the CL will keep on its direction whereas the HL will change its direction when your Phantom comes within 10 meters from the recorded home position depending on the angles as a few examples above show. Another words, the HL will behave like CL when the Phantom is inside the 10 meter radius

Thanks for the reply, I finally got it through my head how it works, don't know why it took me so long to get it, old age I guess. Once I understood cl it became clear what it was doing. HL I understood right away.

Gary39 said:
Thanks for the reply, I finally got it through my head how it works, don't know why it took me so long to get it, old age I guess. Once I understood cl it became clear what it was doing. HL I understood right away.

This is the beauty of NAZA in Phantom because the CL will only require the compass to work (no GPS) but HL requires 6 or more satellites which you may not find them at all location.

Right drift with carbon fiber, even when swapped.

This post is a little old but seems appropriate. My Phantom 2 hovers great with my stock 9.4 props. I just received some nice carbon fiber off uctopfvp item #261356497710 on eBay. Not bad for $27.00 and the nuts for $8 since these are not self tightening like the Phantom 2. They seem well balanced (haven't checked) and when I spin up no unusual vibration. But when I lift off it drifts to the right and I have to correct. It doesn't do this with the stock props. Now I figured if there's a slight difference in airfoil I'll swap sides. Still did it. I did the compass calibration even though stock props weren't affected. Well? What's up? Phantom should adjust to maybe lift variances which doesn't seem to be as it goes right even with the carbon fiber swapped to other side. My Phantom runs great, have had it out to 5000 meters which seems to be the limit with the smart battery to get back.

FWIW: When I do balance blades I use the dynamic method. A mirror and laser on each arm, only one arm with blade on, others off.

Mine does the same thing as the original poster. I've just learned to live with it. It seems certain days and places are worse then others so maybe the compass does have a slight effect on it but it could also be my imagination.
Make believe I try and take off on 360 degree heading. It might inch itself a fee degrees over to maybe 4 or 5 degrees for the first hundred feet before finally locking itself into a good strong heading. Its not my fingers inadvertently pulling right. I've calibrated it a million times. I've done the compass dance 2 million times. Not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
Mine does the same thing as the original poster. I've just learned to live with it. It seems certain days and places are worse then others so maybe the compass does have a slight effect on it but it could also be my imagination.
Make believe I try and take off on 360 degree heading. It might inch itself a fee degrees over to maybe 4 or 5 degrees for the first hundred feet before finally locking itself into a good strong heading. Its not my fingers inadvertently pulling right. I've calibrated it a million times. I've done the compass dance 2 million times. Not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.

Living with it isn't good enough as I have been spoiled by what it is capable of. With stock props no problem, carbon fiber a bad enough drift that even landing SLOWLY it drags to the right and tries to tip over. Scuzzed the tips last night when it did tip. I have flown pull start gas 80 size Helis and know how to work a box. I'll figure it out as the Naza should compensate. Put it on the computer and everything is good. swapped blade to opposite sides, same drift. Something in the blades is doing this but as of now there is no rhyme or reason. The Ebay seller says if I can't find the problem he'll take back the blades, great seller.

Gary39 said:
Did any body ever figure out how to stop the uncontrolled drift to the right after you send it straight out away from you in gps mode ? I know you can correct it with left stick , but it's annoying because if you don't stop it, it will keep on going. I don't remember it doing that when I first got it with vers. 2.00/3.00 software. Noticed after first upgrade. No problem but shouldn't be doing it in gps mode when you let off on the stick.

Mine did exactly the same this morning. I landed, re-calibrated the compass, and it flew properly afterwards.

Re: Carbon Fiber drift video

Went out again to compare carbon fiber to stock blades. Both are the 9.4 Phantom 2 style. Here is a quick video. The first part with the carbon blades I am really having to compensate. If I let go it would have been in our faces. Drifted all over the place even though it wasn't as evident in the video as I am working the sticks more than I would like, couldn't relax. The second part of the video with the stock white blades it just hung there. I could have gone inside for a quick lunch, 20 minute one anyhow. No reason but the blades as when the white ones are on obviously the compass, gps etc had no problem even with all the old steel around it. If anybody has a clue please let me know. I guess I should get over the wiz-bang perceived improvement with carbon fiber. Fly's great with stock. I am waiting for some motor extensions so I can run the DJI 10" props. On the stock Phantom 2 they are overlapping by about 1/8". The extensions will stretch the center to center from 12" to 13" I believe.

On the carbon blades could it be needing a gain setting change to react to the different dynamic of a stiffer blade? Nothing seems wrong with the blades, just the Phantoms interaction with them.

Go back to stock props? I don't see any reason to pay more and degrade performance. What improvement were you hoping for?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Seahorse said:
Go back to stock props? I don't see any reason to pay more and degrade performance. What improvement were you hoping for?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's what I mean. Keep hearing about more stability, stiffer blades, yadda, yadda. BUT I have a habit of not leaving well enough alone whether Bikes, Cars, Guns etc. that's why I have to stop at 3.2 miles and realize that's all it has in it in it's "PRESENT" configuration. But instead of carbon maybe the 10" DJI props might give me a few more meters and minutes, who knows? ?If you don't try it you'll never know what can or can't be done. BTW just because someone on the internet says yea or nae that really is up to you to believe it.

B&H info:
924bfb6762cdcc84d4d36f1af77e2261-400x355.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/vid ... hotography
"Once you start to get the hang of flying your multi-rotor copter, you might want to consider upgrading to carbon fiber props. Carbon fiber props are designed to improve stability and reduce vibration compared to the typically standard plastic ones. In addition to stability, they offer more precise control of the aircraft when using manual flight modes. DSLRPros offer a replacement set of 8” carbon fiber props for the DJI Phantom with GoPro Mount. Note that these props are suitable for the original incarnation of the Phantom, the version that features two clockwise (CW) and two counter-clockwise (CCW) rotating prop nuts. Newer versions of the Phantom feature self-tightening attachment. The two versions can generally be distinguished by the color of the prop nuts. The CW/CWW version uses silver nuts and the CW-only version uses black nuts. Prop guards are available for the Phantom, and are recommended when using carbon fiber props, as carbon fiber is more rigid and therefore has the potential to cause more damage were an accident to occur."

Phantom2 instability and drift with carbon blades

I think I might have an idea why the drift with carbon fiber. I have read about electrical interference from carbon fiber. If you note in the video how close the props are to the top of the Phantom Shell, is it possible the carbon fiber is messing with the GPS? I had 11 sats on fire up BUT the carbon fiber could disrupt the integrity of the signal when pops are spinning seeing as a cloudy day screws up a GPS on occasion. I was thinking maybe the compass but I believe that's far enough down on the landing gear to not have an effect. I know, I already hear the remarks that others are flying carbon without an issue. Just a thought mostly because I can't come up with any other reason, balance, weight, etc don't seem to play into this.

Update: Maybe, maybe not. I noticed the sats changing a little but always above 9. On Attitude mode it was a little better. I did notice I had to give extra throttle to stay up. That kind of indicates these props have less lift, enough that the Phantom probably needs an increase in it's gains? And maybe with less lift it's not able to compensate with it's current parameters in the Naza. It seems a little squirrely and uncertain. So this week I'll see if I have to up some parameters. I understand this is a hassle and the stock props are fine. I am curious though as to the why and how to correct this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31