Right drift, anyone?

Reaction score
After upgrading to 3.02 I experienced what appeared to be a strong drift to the right when flying. Anyone else see this? Here is video of forward flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhN2u2eNH8

I have had the P2 for months and it never did this until the other day when I cut a hole for the 3D, installed the 3D and anti-interference board, and upgraded to the latest firmware.

Over the past couple of days I have:
- tried it without the anti-interference board
- swapped out gimbals
- downgraded to 2.0
- calibrated sticks
- checked to see if compass is secure
- checked and double checked mod values
- calibrated compass before every test
- confirmed my props are balanced

I tried to test it in ATTI mode today but it was pretty windy so it just went with the wind, making a proper test unlikely. Here is another video from today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZdkXL ... e=youtu.be

I'm stumped and have 24 hours before I have to commit a $1000 to a 2nd Phantom - I need a working unit for a project Saturday.

I am noticing this as well. It is the worst right at the initial take off then slowly gets less and less pronounced

that sounds like magnetic declination (theres a couple threads here about it) and it was not caused by the new firm but more than likely you just now noticed it. with the newest firm also the gains you run might be too high because of their fix for larger payloads (not sure of this one yet)

adanac said:
Still stumped today after swapping out gimbal. What could cause a right drift after months of consistent performance in the same locations?

maybe your flight tendencies have changed a bit and you are more comfortable flying so you notice the J-hook? I know I have noticed it more so because i'm more confident in flight so i'm flying faster ... smoother... low altitude... FPV... etc...

adanac said:
I'm not experiencing the j-hook, my magnetic declination is lower than 18 and I'm not flying with IOC. Yet this does seem like it could be related. I had some toilet bowl effect when I first started flying - this usually calms down and it did yesterday, but the drifting didn't stop.

KassioLM said:

You don't have to fly IOC to experience the j-hook. Any flying in gps mode it will show up. You also don't need to be in an area +/- 18. It can easily be seen any place above 10. Did you look at the declination map?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 10.pdf.jpg

In positive declination areas the hook will be to the left (forward flight), and negative areas will hook right.

I am not experiencing j-hook, only drift. I am at -13 declination, but it flew fine for months. The drift just started.

landonkk said:
adanac said:
I'm not experiencing the j-hook, my magnetic declination is lower than 18 and I'm not flying with IOC. Yet this does seem like it could be related. I had some toilet bowl effect when I first started flying - this usually calms down and it did yesterday, but the drifting didn't stop.

KassioLM said:

You don't have to fly IOC to experience the j-hook. Any flying in gps mode it will show up. You also don't need to be in an area +/- 18. It can easily be seen any place above 10. Did you look at the declination map?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 10.pdf.jpg

In positive declination areas the hook will be to the left (forward flight), and negative areas will hook right.

It's hard to see what you're describing in that video but xtonex is correct that in NYC, you will see a right drift and hook when you let go. A lot of people don't notice it right away and it's only when they try to get more precise with the Phantom that it really starts to become noticeable.

I believe that the right drift in the video is quite dramatic and very different from what I'm used to. I noticed it right away - instantly, on the day it started, several months after I purchased the P2 and flew it in the same declination all the time. It flew fine that whole time and now this. It makes me wonder if so many people have it that the behavior in the video looks "normal."

ianwood said:
It's hard to see what you're describing in that video but xtonex is correct that in NYC, you will see a right drift and hook when you let go. A lot of people don't notice it right away and it's only when they try to get more precise with the Phantom that it really starts to become noticeable.

Do you have any other videos of it where it'll be a little more obvious? This is the one I did on compass issue. You can see it pretty clearly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUilGeH74Q[/youtube]

I don't doubt it when you say yours might be different. I am just unsure what it is. I haven't noticed any changes in drift using 3.02 or the H3-3D gimbal. In fact, I took mine to Chicago where the declination is pretty low and it flew straight pretty much for the first time for the entire flight! It was exciting!

I have not compared my behavior to your video until now, although I have seen it before. Yours appears to fly somewhat straight until the hook. Mine files with a right drift the whole time as of 3 days ago. I have two videos in my first post and they both show a nose pointed to the left of the flight direction. In neither of those videos am I even touching the rudder

ianwood said:
Do you have any other videos of it where it'll be a little more obvious? This is the one I did on compass issue. You can see it pretty clearly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUilGeH74Q[/youtube]

I don't doubt it when you say yours might be different. I am just unsure what it is. I haven't noticed any changes in drift using 3.02 or the H3-3D gimbal. In fact, I took mine to Chicago where the declination is pretty low and it flew straight pretty much for the first time for the entire flight! It was exciting!

Looked at your 2nd video and yeah, I see what you mean. It suspect when you upgraded, the RC wasn't fully re-calibrated and your stuck in IOC mode because S2 is not in the right position on the P2 even though it is on the controller. Check in the Phantom Assistant if IOC is off when the switch is up. Then recalibrate your controls.

IOC ironically exhibits behavior from the declination bug too. If you watch my video, you'll see the IOC on mine goes way left. In NYC, it will go way right just like in your 2nd video. You could also have a mis-calibration of the aileron control too.

Many thanks. It was an interesting idea but all appears fine in the assistant. Also, would I not notice when flying that I was in IOC?

ianwood said:
Looked at your 2nd video and yeah, I see what you mean. It suspect when you upgraded, the RC wasn't fully re-calibrated and your stuck in IOC mode because S2 is not in the right position on the P2 even though it is on the controller. Check in the Phantom Assistant if IOC is off when the switch is up. Then recalibrate your controls.

IOC ironically exhibits behavior from the declination bug too. If you watch my video, you'll see the IOC on mine goes way left. In NYC, it will go way right just like in your 2nd video. You could also have a mis-calibration of the aileron control too.

You never know. If that's not it, I'd say maybe it's physical but even that doesn't make sense.

I'm tempted to put the 2D gimbal back on and see if that makes a difference. That will have to wait until after a shoot tomorrow, however. I have another P2 in the box as back up. I'd rather not open it!

ianwood said:
You never know. If that's not it, I'd say maybe it's physical but even that doesn't make sense.

I'd reload the default settings (assistant software -IMU calibration page), then do Advanced cal, do a stick cal then do the compass cal. This way you'll have a ground zero starting point before swapping gimbals etc...

Also if you've had the shell apart, check motor to shell clearance. Sometimes when reassembling shell, arms don't seat perfectly square from top to bottom and any small rub will slow down a motor causing it to pull in opposite direction. Have seen it half a dozen times in last 2 months.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik