rigging a fishing line for drone fishing- need guidance

Reaction score
Saw a video recently about rigging a fishing line on a ph4 and carrying the lure offshore from the beach to drop it in a school of tuna. Can anyone explain how to rig the line to the drone so it breaks away cleanly during a hook up?
TomH

You could install some type of device to drop the bait. Here's an example of one:

Check out these Google search results to find some companies that offer devices like this one.

Drone should primarily be used to take the bait to the destination. Any pull on it should release the line. Drone is not expected to carry the weight of the catch.

While that device will work, there seems a possibility that if the device fails to open and you have a hook up it will pull the drone down into the fight. A rigging with a slip knot would avoid this and keeps it simple. The tuna video drone utube video shows the drone moving the lure in the water until a fish attacks it and hooks up. Then the pull of the fish running with the bait/lure pulls the line thru a slip knot and frees up the drone. How to do a slip knot on braided line is the answer I am seeking

A drop release that could be remotely tripped to release the bait once on station would be best. you migh try something up on the camera gimbal or using the leds on the arms. wouldn't use skip knot. knots are notorious for failing either breaking or, worst in your case, not coming untied when you wanted them to. Try something like what sportfishermen use when they us a kite to carry their bait out. A simple spring loaded clothespin holding a tab attached to the line would release quickly when a fish pulled on the bait. Spring tension can be adjusted by trial and error to make it strong enough not to pull out just from the weight of the line and bait but weak enough to let go when you get a bite. But, I'm sure that yo realize that anything like this attached to the bird will greatly risk the chances of it going into the water!

I was down in Port Aransas Texas last summer for a buddies bachelor party. We were hanging on the beach watching a guy use a P3S to carry his line beyond the surf. We ended up going to chat with him to see what his method was. It was so utterly simple I slapped myself for not thinking of it. He had a piece of wire coat hanger bridging the rear landing gear legs then bent upwards in the middle to form a slanted hook. All he did was loop his line in that hook while hovering and power forward. As long as the Phantom was angled forwards in flight the line stayed. Then as soon as he released throttle and reversed the line dropped immediately. It was VERY impressive and he must have used it a couple dozen times while we were out there. Extremely effective. Good luck!

Reactions: Phill2
Tbird: in dropping a lure into the water hopefully in the middle of a school of fish, you would want the lure to drag around the water to create animation to get a strike. Depending on the fish that strike could be hard and fast ( think four foot baracuda)
You don't want to have the line pinned at that point.
A wooden coffee stirrer with the line wrapped around it laying across the drone legs would support the lure ,move it thru the water and when hit(fish on) would break or otherwise be pulled thru the legs. Not fool proof but doesn't rely on perfect timing.

Make sure you check your local laws. Illegal to use a drone on the entire west coast. I would love to be able to use it to catch surf perch..

I was down in Port Aransas Texas last summer for a buddies bachelor party. We were hanging on the beach watching a guy use a P3S to carry his line beyond the surf. We ended up going to chat with him to see what his method was. It was so utterly simple I slapped myself for not thinking of it. He had a piece of wire coat hanger bridging the rear landing gear legs then bent upwards in the middle to form a slanted hook. All he did was loop his line in that hook while hovering and power forward. As long as the Phantom was angled forwards in flight the line stayed. Then as soon as he released throttle and reversed the line dropped immediately. It was VERY impressive and he must have used it a couple dozen times while we were out there. Extremely effective. Good luck!

That what i use.
Works well.
The guys fishing for tuna used a rubber band to hold the line and it snapped when the fish took the bait.
According to the original article about it they had to experiment quite a bit before getting the right one that would hold the bait yet break when pulled.
It was here in Aus that they did it.
Can't find the vid but there's plenty of others on you tube.

A drop release that could be remotely tripped to release the bait once on station would be best. you migh try something up on the camera gimbal or using the leds on the arms. wouldn't use skip knot. knots are notorious for failing either breaking or, worst in your case, not coming untied when you wanted them to. Try something like what sportfishermen use when they us a kite to carry their bait out. A simple spring loaded clothespin holding a tab attached to the line would release quickly when a fish pulled on the bait. Spring tension can be adjusted by trial and error to make it strong enough not to pull out just from the weight of the line and bait but weak enough to let go when you get a bite. But, I'm sure that yo realize that anything like this attached to the bird will greatly risk the chances of it going into the water!
"anything like this attached to the bird will greatly risk the chances of it going into the water! " Truer words were never spoken.

"anything like this attached to the bird will greatly risk the chances of it going into the water! " Truer words were never spoken.
I find the simple hook pretty safe.
If the line gets caught up it will just cause the drone to rotate and the line will fall off.
I wouldn't trust a mechanical drop mechanism.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20