Richmond VA drone operator needed

I think before any further discussion occurs, what is the video being used for? If any money us to be made you will need a licensed sUAS license.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The beauty here is there is no money to be made on this video, it is an internal use only video.

I would then think it would be fine to have a hobbyist to assist with providing aerial video/photography with the understanding that no monies will received and no compensation made. But in attending the event, may join the picnic (food)

Sent from my SM-T800 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The beauty here is there is no money to be made on this video, it is an internal use only video.
Internal, meaning within the CR group? Or within the walls of the church?
It may matter.

If you're promoting a ministry, even within the church, there is an implied 'ask' for the audience / congregation to support that ministry financially or otherwise. There's no product or service, in the business sense, being sold, true. But money will change hands.

I have no idea how the FAA views that, but why take the risk if you don't have to? Get a 107 or 333 pilot.

I would have already volunteered, if I was not 10 hours away.

Reactions: BigAl07
Let me play devils advocate.....How many questions are being asked on max distance in violation of LOS. How many running boosters if not certified by FCC and not being licensed to exceed 3 watts maximum radiated power to further push LOS violation. There are many more gross violations being exceeded than playing legality game with hobby vs non hobby. My 2 cents. I'll hop off my soap box.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This entire conversation wen't the wrong way. Church want's help. Help them, i mean what is wrong with you guys. Debating the legality of flying a toy over some buildings to help out a group of people that can't do it themselves. You're not getting paid, just do it. If you can't, then why contribute, you're just cluttering things up? I really feel a moderator should be in here cleaning this up, rather than debating with everyone whether or not it's legal. It's already been defined as legal, time to move on.

I really feel a moderator should be in here cleaning this up, rather than debating with everyone whether or not it's legal. It's already been defined as legal, time to move on.

Is giving sound advice not helping? A Moderator has been in here and as of right now there isn't anything to clean up.

To the OP.... check for local Drone/UAS groups on FaceBook. Most areas have one already and from there you might find a more geographically acceptable pool of UAS operators for this project.

If I were close I would gladly help as I've done similar work for local churches and yes I did them as "Commercial" operations which is what they would be IMHO.

I'd review this guys situation as well - he was unlicensed and helping a non-profit and is / was fighting the FAA over up to 55k in fines for his assistance. He wasn't paid, bu since the organization used his work to promote their group the FAA determined it to be a commercial engagement (for the group, thus making the deal commercial, even if the photographer was paid nothing):

Minnesota Man Faces $55K in Fines After Flying Drone

Reactions: RJ_Make and BigAl07
Hello Matt,
I'm not a professional photographer, but I designed the construction method and built the cable suspended pedestrian bridge that your group will cross to get to Belle Isle. I've yet to make my annual pilgrimage to see how the old gal is holding up and have a P2 Vision + that has served me well on a private level for the last several years. Not as sleek and racy as some of the newer models, and I'll not be much help in terms of editing your entire video experience, but I'd be glad to get you some real nice stills at 14 MP, or video at 1080P, for nothing, because I like what you folks are doing.
The only rub, as I see it, is that there are a gang, and I mean a gang, of helicopter landing pads on rooftops of downtown Richmond that will need to be notified, in order to be legal for us to fly from, around, or over, Belle Isle. Being from VA Beach, I don't have many/any contacts that could help us expedite the process. Can anybody speculate as to whether we'd be in violation of Airport Notification Requirements if we kept our flight elevation below the bridge deck elevation of the bridge (Lee Bridge) that passes over Belle Isle?
Thanks,
John

Hello Matt,
I'm not a professional photographer, but I designed the construction method and built the cable suspended pedestrian bridge that your group will cross to get to Belle Isle. I've yet to make my annual pilgrimage to see how the old gal is holding up and have a P2 Vision + that has served me well on a private level for the last several years. Not as sleek and racy as some of the newer models, and I'll not be much help in terms of editing your entire video experience, but I'd be glad to get you some real nice stills at 14 MP, or video at 1080P, for nothing, because I like what you folks are doing.
The only rub, as I see it, is that there are a gang, and I mean a gang, of helicopter landing pads on rooftops of downtown Richmond that will need to be notified, in order to be legal for us to fly from, around, or over, Belle Isle. Being from VA Beach, I don't have many/any contacts that could help us expedite the process. Can anybody speculate as to whether we'd be in violation of Airport Notification Requirements if we kept our flight elevation below the bridge deck elevation of the bridge (Lee Bridge) that passes over Belle Isle?
Thanks,
John

John, That would be amazing and I'd love to talk to you about this. I can reach out to the FAA to find out if we need to do anything special as far as notification. My email address John is MatthewTKimball AT Gmail DOT com. drop me a line with your # and I will get you mine as well s owe can discuss further. Many thanks, I've been worrying that nobody would be able to give us a hand! A friend and myself both are editors so we can do all that, we just need some raw footage! looking forward to talking. Matthew

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Interestingly enough there is an App for the iPhone/iPad/Android devices from teh FAA that provides us with data regarding flying and needed requirements: THe App is called B4UFLY B4UFLY on the App Store

The B4UFly App shows that in order to fly at Belle Island I would need to notify the following: Chippenham Hospital, St. Mary's Hospital, Virginia DMV Headquarters, McGuire VA Medical Center Pad, Medical College of VA, HDH! Each of these are within a 5 miles radius of the Island.

So is RJ & Big going to help this group with their video or just post the same BS all the time? I think it's time we start letting adult drone owners decide for themselves what's legal. It gets old reading "you need a 333" or "you need a 107" in every post. Every post where this gets mentioned turns into a debate.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
So is RJ & Big going to help this group with their video or just post the same BS all the time? I think it's time we start letting adult drone owners decide for themselves what's legal. It gets old reading "you need a 333" or "you need a 107" in every post. Every post where this gets mentioned turns into a debate.

I couldn't help if I wanted too; I don't possess the credentials to make this flight, and I'm certainly not interested in fighting with the federal government, like Mr. Caterina and many others find themselves doing.

Unlike you, I appreciate it when adults take the time to help others.

The last time I checked this was a DISCUSSION forum where people come to get support and advice and to DISCUSS. If you think you've got something to add to the conversation please feel free to jump right in and add something to help the OP. Otherwise you aren't required to post to just be posting.

Reactions: RJ_Make
Well Hell,
I've been notified that I'll be working both days of the weekend that Matt is planning his event, so I'm going to have to beg off. Hopefully someone else will see this and be able to help him out. Seems like a great cause.
John

Money transfer is not the sole determination. The meal can be considered a payment. Even there is no financial transaction, good well to the church is considered as donation and is commercial. This is also the reason why search and rescue can't use pilot without the license.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub