rgb led help

Reaction score
so i want to make sure before i buy if this works or doesn't. i want to use rgb led on my dji phantom but im not sure if it will work. the module that adapts batteries of the phantom to (non rgb) led puts out inconsistent voltages (which i was told is normal lipos put out inconsistent voltages). the battery says it puts out 15.2 V 4480mAh (68Wh) and the input for the led rgb controller is 12 volts anyone know if i will over power the controller or any inconsistent voltages will mean the controller wont work at all. if anyone can help it would be great

thanks

That looks pretty basic. It may survive an over voltage input, it depends on how much headroom there is in the components.
One question comes to mind, the remote controller is infrared and requires line of sight to operate. Infrared and sunlight don't play together.

That looks pretty basic. It may survive an over voltage input, it depends on how much headroom there is in the components.
One question comes to mind, the remote controller is infrared and requires line of sight to operate. Infrared and sunlight don't play together.
well they are leds so i wont be using them in the sunlight :p anyways i only plan to use them at night and events

Going back to your first post, you say that the module that controls the LEDs on the phantom puts out inconsistent voltages. What do you mean by that? LED drivers are usually constant current sources as the brightness of a LED depends on the current through it. The voltage drop across a LED is also constant once the LED turns on.

For efficiency a LED driver can use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to make the light seem brighter without burning out the LED.

Going back to your first post, you say that the module that controls the LEDs on the phantom puts out inconsistent voltages. What do you mean by that? LED drivers are usually constant current sources as the brightness of a LED depends on the current through it. The voltage drop across a LED is also constant once the LED turns on.

For efficiency a LED driver can use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to make the light seem brighter without burning out the LED.
this little device i dont know exactly what it does but it adapts the phantom plug into just one color led so i was wondering if i attach the rgb controller to this would it work sorry if that wasn't clear. also im not even sure i need this if i have an rgb controller

Attachments

• IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 373
just parties and for fun (fun as in freaking out the neighbors :D)

if you have not flown at night yet you will find the phantom leds are VERY bright and visible a long was off

many neighbors it seems are freaked outed just by us having these ,
so you may not need the lights for that!

this little device i dont know exactly what it does but it adapts the phantom plug into just one color led so i was wondering if i attach the rgb controller to this would it work sorry if that wasn't clear. also im not even sure i need this if i have an rgb controller
First of all I need to know what that is. Where did you get it and what was it sold as?
J1, the output has 4 connections. Do you know what the two unused ones are for?

First of all I need to know what that is. Where did you get it and what was it sold as?
It was just sold as a adapter to drive some green led strips. I don't know where she got it from probably Amazon just came to me in a esd safe bag why is it harmful to the phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

if you have not flown at night yet you will find the phantom leds are VERY bright and visible a long was off

many neighbors it seems are freaked outed just by us having these ,
so you may not need the lights for that!
I have flown at night but this is more fun than anything else

Also no I have no idea what the two unused pins are for

I can't help you with the one you have driving the green LEDs as I don't have any information on it. You're on your own with that one.
As for the one with the RGB LEDs, without pulling it apart my only suggestion is to plug it into a 15V supply and monitor the current it sinks. That will let you know how much it will effect flying time and if it will survive.

This is how I did it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic