RF-V16 Tracker versus Trackimo TRKM002

Reaction score
The Rf-V16 uses a (local) cellular plan/sim card which, in my case, costs $25/year. No other costs. When I want to know the drone's location, I text the V16 with "dw#" and it returns a text containing a google map location. Very accurate.

What I do not understand is the costs associated with the Trackimo. After the first 12 months (free), I would get charged $5/month ($60/year). What does this cost give me? As far as I understand I still need a (local) cellular plan. Trackimo brags about worldwide coverage but what good is this without a world wide cellular plan?

The reason for my questions is that the V16, albeit working great, only works with one (Rogers) Cellular provider in my area. The coverage outside of major centers is awful. Given that Trackimo now supports 3G I would be quite willing to take the leap assuming the significant additional costs are worthwhile.

Sorry I cant answer your question, but i wanted to thank you for posting it. I am hoping someone will post about this as I have several questions on this topic. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Phantom and the first thing (before 1st flight) I am buying is a tracker, I would like to do it right the first time. Thanks again BourgeoisSJC.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
What I do not understand is the costs associated with the Trackimo. After the first 12 months (free), I would get charged $5/month ($60/year). What does this cost give me?
It allows you to use their service. It's not possible to bring your own cell phone plan.

As of 1/2017 a lot of 2G networks are shut down. MAKE SURE your new GPS device is 3G. Outside of USA, 2G may be OK.

There appears to be a large amount of people selling "3G" trackimo's on both eBay and Amazon which are in fact "2G" models.

I spoke with Trackimo and was given the details on how to find if a model is in fact 3G.
The model numbers on 2G/3G are unfortunately the same. The way to tell is with the Device ID.
2G Trackimo's have a 7 digit Device ID starting with either a 1 or 2: 1xxxxxx 2xxxxxx
3G Trackimo's have a 9 digit Device ID starting with a 3: 3xxxxxxxx

Why is the company still selling 2G if it won't work?
Because it does still work in many locations. ATT was the only one that shut down, with it taking out some of their piggybacked lower tier companies that were using their network (Cricket as an example) T-Mobile and Verizon that I'm aware are still active through 2020

Trackimo will report your drones position every 60 seconds if set up that way. Very useful if you fly Litchi missions with disconnected RC and hate the idea of not knowing your drones position/fate! Small price to pay IMHO.

Reactions: bkushner
Trackimo has its own app which, on opening, reports the position of your drone, you don't have to text as with other GPS trackers, the information is available virtually instantly and will update at various intervals down to 60 second, yes 1 minute intervals, so no need to fret as to your position - $5 about £3.50 in the uk per month buys a decent coffee so, IMHO a no brainier.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan