Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

RF Coaxial Attenuator?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by dkeshish, Jun 19, 2014.

1. dkeshish

Hi guys. I just bought a 1w 2.4ghz sunhans 802.11N MIMO 2T2R 300M Wireless Amplifier it has 2 inputs and outputs for the wifi repeater. Do I need to connect a attenuator? If so is the 2w one ok because I cant seem to locate a 1w one. Thanks guys

2. ToThePoint

If you mean with " attenuator " to reduce the power emitted from the wifi extender towards the amplifier then check the specs off the devices.
    I did some research and found out that the extender has 100mW or 20dbm.
    The sunhans you refer to can take max 20dbm=100mw input.
    Check it again to make sure it is so.
    If that is true what i recall then its a " NO " as a answer.
    Just take your connection cables and no reduction of output from the wifi extender will be needed.
    I seem to recall ben7..... has a video on youtube using the same setup your trying.

3. slothead

Isn't the 2W rating of the attenuator just a maximum power dissipation capability? If so I can't imagine why a 2W device couldn't be used in place of the 1W unit. It's probably larger and heavier, but if the 2W rating is just a maximum, then it shouldn't affect the attenuation (power reduction) of the device. But I don't know a lot about this system yet, so my contribution here is strictly generic.

Tom

4. dkeshish

Thank you both for the response. I kinda assumed I would not need it but ill check the specs and do some more research