Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Reward Proposed To Find Pilots Who Flew Drones Over California Wildfires

Discussion in 'News' started by CactusJackSlade, Jul 27, 2015.

1. CactusJackSlade

2. CactusJackSlade

3. J.James

I cant understand what is so import about a fire that they feel they need to have some thing to hide and not allowing some one to fly a drone near it.. To use the phrase coined by cop and goverment hero Joseph Gerbils. That cops like to use his quote all the time.... If they have nothing to "Hide they should have nothing to fear"

4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I went ahead and re-titled your post @CactusJackSlade to reflect the content.
    If it is posted in the news area the title should represent the article your posting. Thanks. ;)

5. BlackHawk388

It isn't that they are trying to "hide" anything. What it IS about is pilot safety for those aircraft who're constantly working the area, Fire Jumpers who may be parachuting into the area and, limiting access to these areas so that fire fighting and rescue units aren't diverted to get some jackass drone pilot out of a sudden, life threatening situation.

Fire moves extremely fast in forest fires. So do the aircraft that approach the area to make retardant and water drops. Unless a drone pilot is out of his/her mind and flying LOS with their drone, there is NO way for the drone to stay out of the way of the aircraft.

As far as traffic fires, injured people may need to be airlifted. If the pilots and tower cannot communicate with the drone pilot, then that means there is a hazard in the area and the medical helicopter cannot make an approach.

It really baffles me that the common person cannot grasp the most simple concepts of safety and operations when it comes to these drones.

BTW, that phrase makes my skin crawl. I have nothing to hide, but cops and government have NO damned business in knowing what I have. ;)

LuvMyTJ likes this.
  6. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Very well said BlackHawk.
    Indeed.

BlackHawk388 likes this.
  7. Geoelectro

I know some retardants that should be dropped in a fire! :cool:

Geo

WildEMT, Clipper707 and BlackHawk388 like this.
  8. BlackHawk388

You win the Internet for one hour. Use it wisely!

;)

9. Kman

I've been saying for awhile and I'll say it again. This is all made up. No one was flying drones in the area. The area is pretty remote. CNN first reported a single drone in the area. The following day they said the previous day there was FIVE drones in the area. WTF?

Firefighters, news crews, news helicopters, bystanders stuck on the road and not one person snapped a pic or video of these drones flying in the area? Something smells fishy to me.

The Feds will use these stories, regardless if they are true or not as a way to pass strict laws in the future regarding our hobby.

The first story that broke out about drones over a forest fire was the Big Bear fire a few weeks back. That drone was white and orange and supposedly flying at 11,000 feet. I don't know of any retail or home made drones that can fly that high. Seems like a government drone and there was a lack of communication. BUT again, news helicopters in the area, firefighters, news crews and no one got a pic or video of it?

I'm calling BS on all these stories.

10. BlackHawk388

*sigh*

Time to get the aluminum foil out and make a hat.

11. BlackOpsTeamster

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I seen an opening and took my shot, it was too tempting..... LOL
    BOT

#11 BlackOpsTeamster, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    dirkclod likes this.
  12. UrAwFuL

Interesting fact is that I don't think any of the people that was there (ie: the people in their cars) witnessed any of the sightings.

Hopefully that was the case! Because with that amount of bounty over my head, I might as well get tackled when I fly near a park. :mad: