Reward if found sticker?

Yep, just got a set of stickers from UAVstickers.com in the mail yesterday. The turnaround time was really fast (<24 hours) and the quality is great!

I'd show you how mines look, but then my phone number would be all over the internet.

I got both the IF FOUND set (fits perfectly anywhere) and the TRACKED BY GPS set (would hopefully scare someone).

Actually.. here's how it looks (covered number for a reason, lol).

seula9.jpg

Plus I wanted to show off my all-black Phantom which came from the same seller.

Wow "Avoid Prosecution" ? If I saw that I'd smash it with a rock.

I've always tried to return anything valuable I find. If someone puts a phone number or email address and I find it they're getting it back and I'm not accepting a reward. I can only hope if someone finds a Phantom I lose I'd get the same consideration. But a threatening and essentially worthless statement like that would annoy me. I wouldn't keep it, but I'd certainly be inclined to just leave it there.

That's just me

Reactions: Bigjimknickers
jondrew said:

I've always tried to return anything valuable I find. If someone puts a phone number or email address and I find it they're getting it back and I'm not accepting a reward. I can only hope if someone finds a Phantom I lose I'd get the same consideration. But a threatening and essentially worthless statement like that would annoy me. I wouldn't keep it, but I'd certainly be inclined to just leave it there.

That's just me

Understood, but I don't want to just hope anybody who might find my stuff has the same moral compass as you ;)

I printed my own "if found" info on plain paper, then I cut it down to just the small square with the printing (about 2 inches long and an inch high. - and then I taped it smack dab on top of my Phantom with 2" thick clear white packing tape. it's been there for over a year and it still looks as good as new. - as the plastic tape makes it practically water proof and scratch resistant.

I did the same with my F450, but alas, I can only assume that either nobody found it when it flew away, or someone didn't call :(
i've since switched to an actual GPS tracker, but I still keep the info attached just in case.

jondrew said:

That's just me

Makes me wanna rip this right off now. :cry:

UrAwFuL said:
jondrew said:

That's just me

Makes me wanna rip this right off now. :cry:

haha, don't go by me. Odd things annoy me.

jondrew said:
... essentially worthless statement like that would annoy me ...
I had a similar reaction when I first saw that sticker but it's not really without basis. Finders-keepers is pretty much what we all "learned" growing up but legally it's not accurate. If you find something, even if you find it on your own property, it's not simply yours to keep, especially if a "reasonable effort" would reveal its owner. Further, you are not allowed to harm it either.

I am not a lawyer but this is an excerpt from an interesting AMA document (http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2012 ... orsDOC.pdf) written by their counsel at their request regards the ins and outs of trespass as relates to model aircraft (probably everything for that matter).

"The landowner cannot keep the landed plane. That would amount to a conversion of the flier's property and the landowner may be compelled to pay the cost of the plane. The landowner may not intentionally damage the plane, as this would be a trespass to the chattel of the flier."

Of course enforcing this legality is problematic if you don't know where your craft is or who has it. Still, if you were to find out (say they post it Craig's List), you would have legal recourse to recover it and maybe payment for damages (again, proving they weren't crash related might be difficult).

If I were to use such a sticker and wanted to reference legality, I'd definitely work on some less threatening wording ... on the notion you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. As my insurance agent once told me regards a discussion we were having about a claims agent, "why would you want to piss off the one guy who can help you out?" (BTW - it wasn't me, I'd already figured that one out)

I'm kind of under the gun right now for time but, absent details, I'll also mention that you can buy "sticker paper" that can be printed with an inkjet printer, and make your own. There are even some that claim to be waterproof (tried it - colors are dull but it does seem to hold up to water ... to UV, not as well). But even if not inherently waterproof I've successfully made it so by spraying with clear acrylic or covering with clear packing tape.

I've identified mine in a similar way - name, phone, email, + $50 reward offer. The downside of ID-ing your Phantom is if you cause property damage or personal injury, finding the responsible party to sue - you - becomes very easy.

And of your afraid of a prosecution cause you runaway phantom smashed into someone....buy a tracfone with cash and use that number. If someone calls it in regards to the phantom determine whether or not the want to return it to you or sue you and act accordingly.

Fredski said:
I've identified mine in a similar way - name, phone, email, + $50 reward offer. The downside of ID-ing your Phantom is if you cause property damage or personal injury, finding the responsible party to sue - you - becomes very easy.

AMA offers liability insurance to their members.

d4ddyo said:
Fredski said:
But you do have to be flying within their safety guidelines for it to kick in. So it's not quite a "get out jail free" card. And it's secondary to whatever other insurance you might have, e.g., your homeowner's insurance. Still, it's very inexpensive secondary insurance ... and you get their magazine.

Visioneer said:
d4ddyo said:
Fredski said:
But you do have to be flying within their safety guidelines for it to kick in. So it's not quite a "get out jail free" card. And it's secondary to whatever other insurance you might have, e.g., your homeowner's insurance. Still, it's very inexpensive secondary insurance ... and you get their magazine.

Well exactly. There no get out of jail card. And secondarily assuming you have other liability. It's primary for the hobby if you don't. Yes. Use there guidelines. Duh ... But the point it's a stupid statement that you domt want to mark your property because of liability.

Just seems to me that using a permanent marker would do the trick. But, on the down side, when the copter flys away and does some major damage somewhere we may wish it did not have our name on it. I would always want to be responsible but it could, unfortunately, be serious.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik