Revised UK CAA regulations for flying over Congested Areas

Re: Revised UK CAA regulations for flying over Congested Are

From what I read it has no impact. Just follow the rules as before. There is no licence in UK only 'permission'...which is nevertheless an expensive process for recreational pilots. Its mainly for those doing 'aerial work' aka commercial

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

So far as I can tell, there is no difference or modification to the rules for unlicensed pilots.

We must still fly more than 150M away from congested areas and always more than 50M away from people and things we are not in control of.

From what I can tell, they are removing the blanket approval for small licenced UAVs to fly over towns and replacing it with a case by case approval. No doubt for licensed pilots, this will put the cost up and reading between the lines, will prevent multirotors without prop guards and that cannot fly with a failed motor or fall arrest system from operating in congested areas.

Whats the definition of a "congested area"?

Any town, village or built up area. Anything more than a couple of houses essentially.

See this post for a summary of rules for UK airspace. viewtopic.php?p=131954#p131954

Thanks for the link and good summary. Did I read correctly that if I fly a Phantom sans camera in central London, that's all well and good. But, if I put the camera back on, it's all verbotten?

ianwood said:
Thanks for the link and good summary. Did I read correctly that if I fly a Phantom sans camera in central London, that's all well and good. But, if I put the camera back on, it's all verbotten?
London has a big red restricted zone at its centre, but yes much to everyones wonder why a camera on it makes it less safe in a cogested area when the CAA say they are only about safety.

Yes, I would have thought the camera would only be only be a concern for privacy and not safety. It sounds very similar to FAA "logic" around commercial vs. personal.

Is there some place where the restricted zones are defined? I'd be curious to see how much of London is restricted. Does restricted pretty much mean it isn't going to happen?

Pretty much ALL of London is a restricted zone. The 150M from a congested area rule means you can only fly in parks and car parks well away from streets and businesses.

Also, please don't see this as commercial and non-commercial. You can be a rated pilot with the benefits that entails and not fly commercially.

Link is not working for me... Any others?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers