Review: Tradecraft ToughCase XRV for the Phantom Vision

THell said:
awesome Review Thanks

I will pick one up for Traveling

but for a non traveling case I am interested in getting a case that can fit the Vision with the rotor guards attached this way when I don't need to fly i can keep the guards on and when I do take it on trips I can remove the guards

any ideas on a good case?

With motor guards? You're gonna have to go big - like a Pelican i2750. Great case but gonna cost well over $200. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the prop guards when looking at a case...you'll graduate from them soon enough.

I'm looking for a case that will fit the prop guards as well. I'm actually a very experienced pilot but I like the look of the Phantom with the guards on and it helps me see it much better in the air. I think it's a good idea to have them on just incase I'm ever flying around other people.

I painted my prop guards blaze orange As bright orange as I could find. This way I know the tips of my quad.

Noël said:
I'm thinking of ordering one, but the shipping to the Netherlands is $75.00 USD for a 6-10 day service :/
Ordered one yesterday $90 to the UK
£170 with shipping 6-10 days.
Glen.

I placed an order late last Saturday, but they say it is a pre-order,
so I am not sure when they will have more cases to ship.

However, after reading your very nice review, it seems
that I made a good choice. I did not think about the
"Training Wheels" (propeller guards), and I had intended
to use a set, primarily as an extra safety precaution.

Question, please:
When the jaws of the smartphone holder are fully open,
what height object (like a tablet) can it hold?

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" is 4-7/8 inches high.

Maybe I will need to return the Tab 2 and get the Tab 3,
which is only about 4" high, due to its much narrower frame.

garygid said:

Question, please:

It is offically shipping so I'm guessing your order will go out very soon. Ignore the pre-order status.

I am not sure your tablet will fit. I think the max size phone that can be used is a Samsung note 2 or 3.

If I were you, I'd get the Arkon mount, and find a suitable holder for your tablet that utilizes a tripod mount setup. See mine - and yes, it fits in this case:

ipadrx2.jpg

Sledge said:
I recently received my tradecraft case as well...very nicely built. Where can I get one of those foam knives? Also, r u using the iPad instead of the iPhone for FPV?

Yes, I am using an iPad instead of a phone. See post above.

And you don't need that type of foam knive. I actually found that using a very sharp exactlo knife works the best. The foam cuts very easily. If you can, find a long exacto knife - the longer the better. If not, you just have to cut the foam step by step.

DronePeter said:
Nice case, I appreciate the efforts for writing this review.

However I have my doubts about the dimensions, too big as carry on item. For sure will have problems at the check in at the airports.

I think I will go for the case Helipal. This case is smaller , so have to take the props off but prefer that and keep my $1200 toy with me in the airplane.

http://www.helipal.com/carrying-case-fo ... m-big.html

this case is not too big for carry on. i regularly take a bigger suitcase than this.

DronePeter said:

However I have my doubts about the dimensions, too big as carry on item. For sure will have problems at the check in at the airports.

I think I will go for the case Helipal. This case is smaller , so have to take the props off but prefer that and keep my $1200 toy with me in the airplane.

Fair play to you , you pay your money and take your choice, But not sure about the pick and pluck foam for myself !!

garygid said:

Question, please:

Just received email from them 30 min ago and they said they "hope to ship in the next few days, you will receive a shipping notification"
Cheers Glen

Yes, seems like a nice case that would meet carry-on size requirements,
but they want over $100 for shipping, it seems.

Geert said:
DronePeter said:

I agree, it's a nice case but too big.
In many check in terminals you have to put your carry on item in a stand and when it doesn't fit you can't take it with you in the airplane. Speaking about my own experience. ;)

I haven't had that happen in a long time. I looked long and hard at this issue - hence the reason I showed a picture next to my "official" victorinox carry on bag which has been to London, Hong Kong, Seoul, etc. It is offically 22", but I often expand it to be significantly bigger and it has never had a problem. The XRV case is very very similar in size - it is only a tiny big bigger. I am betting it fits without a problem, especially if you have a sling bag slung across it as you go up to the gate (my secret - hasn't failed me yet).

garygid said:

Guessing you're international?

I am thinking about this case for my new Phantom 2 (non-vision model). However, I have a 5" monitor attached to the RC. Do you think that monitor will fit should I remove it from the RC? Also, do you think the Zenmuse Gimbal would pose a problem either? Thanks, and great review.

PCwood5 said:
I am thinking about this case for my new Phantom 2 (non-vision model). However, I have a 5" monitor attached to the RC. Do you think that monitor will fit should I remove it from the RC? Also, do you think the Zenmuse Gimbal would pose a problem either? Thanks, and great review.

Yeah I am getting one for my Phantom 2 as well.

1. 5" monitor should fit, but don't quote me. You'd could make a pretty cutout by the transmitter (see circled attached). The case is definately tall enough to fit the monitor (10" outside, internal - I'm guessing 9"?), so I think you could do it. I have a 7" monitor and put it in the case sideways (long side down) and it fits.

2. Zenmuse on the Phanom 2 is positioned a little more forward on the aircraft than the (1) the Vision camera and (2) the Zenmuse on the original Phantom. I don't think it will be a problem to fit it though - the foam Tradecraft uses is really easy to cut with a box cutter or razor blade. I think it will be easy to adjust the foam on that part of the case. But if you want stock foam that fits perfectly out of the box, you should probably wait - I do believe Tradecraft is making a case specific to the Phantom 2. However, they need to get their hands on one before they can make the foam mold I'm guessing!

Attachments

• 20131214_160041.jpg
    20131214_160041.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 552
garygid said:

I emailed them about the international shipping being so high (one of my friends is looking to get one) - they stated they fixed the shipping for international. $65.00 to Canada and $75.00 to UK now.

Excellent review! and I'm glad it was a positive one because I pre-ordered mine last week!

Hey guys, so I finally got to do a major trip with my Phantom 2 and Tradecraft XRV case - a 10 day trip to Japan! Not only did I take it on a long flight, but also took it through it's paces running around cities (Tokyo and Sapporo) and mountains in Japan.

Summary: Overall, the Tradecraft XRV case performed great. I really don't have any major complaints - wheels and handle made it very easy to walk around airports as well as city streets. Since I was also taking the Tradecraft through snow and ice - both on streets and in mountains, it was really nice to know that the Tradecraft is air tight and I didn't need to worry about water somehow getting into the case. I am very pleased with how it performed and I'm not sure I could of brought the Phantom and used it in the way I did without a Tradecraft (or similar) case.

I do however have some thoughts on areas the case could be improved - maybe V2.0 or the 2015 version:

1. The wheels. While big and strong, they are plastic. Seems fine right? Yes, they zoom around the airports fine. However, if you ever roll the case on non-even surfaces (IE: pavement), they are loud as hell and vibrates as the plastic transfers all the shock from the road straight up to the case (I didn't worry about the internals as the foam absorbs it all). I took the Tradecraft through the streets of Shibuya in Tokyo and and Sapporo in Hokkaido. The streets are all paved but like any city, have uneven surfaces, cracked pavement, brick, etc. Man, the case was loud while it rolled over such surfaces. I believe it would be much quieter, and vibrate less if the tires were made of a rubber composite of some type. I'm not sure if it is possible to change the stock wheels for a third-party set of wheels, but it would of made a difference for me.

This is probably the biggest thing that I immediately noticed, though it is obviously not a huge problem (I'd rather have wheels then not!), and I imagine most if not all suitcases have this problem. I actually should take a look at my expensive Victorinox carry-on luggage to see what the wheels are like on that. I don't recall it being so loud to roll - and I've taken it through many many US cities.

2. While it never broke (or came close to breaking), the pull out handle is plastic and did seem to flex at some points during the trip. Sometimes when I was running through the subways trying to catch a train - I would just lift the case by the handle up a short set of stairs (obviously stupid but I was scrambling). I don't think this is very good for the handle and it did flex - I would not be shocked to see the handle break the next time I do that!

Also, because of this - I would NOT recommend putting another bag on top of the Tradecraft while rollling (you know how many people put their messenger bag or briefcase on top of their carry on while rolling through an airport). Given the handle is plastic - it would not be advisable.

It would be nice if Tradecraft made the handle and mounting components out of a metal - maybe aluminum. I'm guessing that would jack prices, but I for one, would be interested in such an option.

Last comment - I had ZERO problems at TSA both in the States and in Japan. They didn't even open the case.

20140226_150513.jpg

20140226_153339.jpg

20140226_115541.jpg

Asahidake.jpg

If I were you, I'd get the Arkon mount, and find a suitable holder for your tablet that utilizes a tripod mount setup. See mine - and yes, it fits in this case:

ipadrx2.jpg
[/quote]

I want the same setup for my Ipad Phantom V+ Control
Where can I get?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4