Returning to the hobby in the DC area 8 years later... what happened!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm returning to the hobby after spending many years building quads and buying gyros from hobbyking that I tried to pair with my Dx8 horizon hobby used to sell. Bought a Phantom 3 and "preordered" a Mavic.

After years of flying these things and stopping I have to say, ****, the Phantom is a joke in terms of ease of flying. I was scared it would be be a bad first flight given I havent touched an RC helicopter in forever. But nope, it launches into the air slower than any RC "helicopter" I've ever owned. Had some issues getting the software to play nice on my phone but it worked out. Eventually got the video on YouTube for fun. I also did get the crap scared out of me by how fast the drone flew for the initial section of the return to home function.

I am now faced with the fact this whole DC area is a strictly enforced no fly zone when people didn't care at all what I used to play with in parks. I remember being laughed at and having people walk along when they would see my "toys" in parks. Now there's mass hysteria about the secret pervert filming you and your children from his drone while he pleasures himself in a white van behind your pristine white picket fence. Even the local counties in Maryland and Virginia seem to have park bans on scary drone people. To top it off the National Parks have banned these things too!?? Geez! I remember putting a small camera on a wooden gimbal in Shanendoah and park rangers thought it was awesome.

Look forward to learning from everybody all the new advancements.

PS: Are all these jokes about "it flew away" some inside joke about user error I'm not privy to?

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum llikespiders.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues