Returning to Home higher than 20m

Reaction score
I've read several posts about how you can get the Phantom to return to home at a height above 20 m (in case you were lower than this when return to home was activated). I read that if you redo your home point when you are say 150 feet in the air, the Phantom will return at about 215 feet (150 ft + 20 m) because it wants to be at an altitude of at least your home point plus 20 m. However, I have found this to not work. I'm using a fully updated Phantom 2 Vision+ and it doesn't seem to matter at what altitude I set a home point, if I am below 20 m, it will only rise up to 20m and then return home. Anyone else found this to be true? From these results I gather Home point doesn't consider altitude, only location.

ok so got my weather to be nice today and put this to the test
I had home lock flew 50ft away and 50 ft up did RTH Phantom went to 66ft came back landed
I then took of went out 50ft went up to 100ft set new home point got flashes as verification
then flew back over old home point came down to 50 ft did RTH and it went up to 66 ft landed at new home point

I then went up to 100 ft over old home point Did rth and it stayed at 100 ft landed at new home point

So I then retried all test to make sure as was right

Outcome is as manual states

if below 66 ft and RTH in Activated it will go to 66 ft and come home
if above 66ft it will stay whatever height its at and come home

if you reset home point in flight it will go to 66ft above original take of height and come home to new home point
However you can not set home point in flight at 100ft then think it will go to 166ft this is not the case it will fly to new home point but will be at 66ft above your take off from ground :?

So were people who claimed otherwise drunk? How could they think it was climbing to a height higher than 20m? They can look at their phone and tell. How stupid. When I first heard about this 'feature' I was excited but then couldn't duplicate it myself. What a let down.

I reset it by toggling between courselock and homelock.
You can also do it by going all the way from top to bottom.
Could that account for it?

The only thing I can think is that it isn't *that* easy to be sure it has reset the homepoint, as you can't easily see the rapid green flashing.

4wd said:
The only thing I can think is that it isn't *that* easy to be sure it has reset the homepoint, as you can't easily see the rapid green flashing.

I have reset home in a new location and then initiated RTH, it's easy to verify it returns to the new location. But the reset height has no effect. Firmware v2.0

AnselA said:
robininni, skyhighdiver and 4wd, which firmware versions you have?

I am using firmware 3.04.

4wd said:
I reset it by toggling between courselock and homelock.
You can also do it by going all the way from top to bottom.
Could that account for it?

You can look at your phone camera app and if you successfully reset the home location, the distance away number should be near zero now.

On a side note, if in Naza mode, you don't have to do the 5+ times full up and down S2 switching to get a new home location?

I am running 3.00 in NAZA mode. Just did this today. Got lock, took off, climbed straight up to 100'. Manually reset Home via S2 @ 100' altitude. (watch for the rapid green flashes confirming Home Point has been reset). Dropped altitude to 10' and flew a couple hundred feet away. Manually triggered Failsafe via S1. Phantom climbed to 165', returned to Home Point, and began descent.

So then it either doesn't work in firmware 3.04 (and did in 3.00) or it only works in Naza mode?? Can you try it in Phantom mode, DirtyBird?

robininni said:
So then it either doesn't work in firmware 3.04 (and did in 3.00) or it only works in Naza mode?? Can you try it in Phantom mode, DirtyBird?

I am in NAZA mode and don't want to plug into the Assistant for fear of forced updates. My bird is flying really sweet and I don't want to change a thing. When you forced a Home Reset in Phantom mode, did you get the rapid green flashes? Note, you have to toggle S2 FULLY position 1-3. If you only do positions 1-2, you will get the rapid flash but it resets your home heading.

Dirty Bird said:
robininni said:

I am in NAZA mode and don't want to plug into the Assistant for fear of forced updates. My bird is flying really sweet and I don't want to change a thing. When you forced a Home Reset in Phantom mode, did you get the rapid green flashes? Note, you have to toggle S2 FULLY position 1-3. If you only do positions 1-2, you will get the rapid flash but it resets your home heading.

Sorry i am confused. You don't plug it in due to unexpected updates ?
As far my experience goes to get in to naza you have to plug it in. And a update only happens when you confirm that the birds has to be updated by clicking on a box to approve it.
Whats going to happen when for some reason you have to calibrate stuff ?
I check regularly the compass due to the alteration i made on the bird, its 1250 here.
No intentions meant Dirty bird, just a state of my deluded mind here.

gmbn.inc said:
skyhighdiver said:
ok so got my weather to be nice today and put this to the test
I had home lock flew 50ft away and 50 ft up did RTH Phantom went to 66ft came back landed
I then took of went out 50ft went up to 100ft set new home point got flashes as verification
then flew back over old home point came down to 50 ft did RTH and it went up to 66 ft landed at new home point

I then went up to 100 ft over old home point Did rth and it stayed at 100 ft landed at new home point

So I then retried all test to make sure as was right

Outcome is as manual states

if below 66 ft and RTH in Activated it will go to 66 ft and come home
if above 66ft it will stay whatever height its at and come home

if you reset home point in flight it will go to 66ft above original take of height and come home to new home point
However you can not set home point in flight at 100ft then think it will go to 166ft this is not the case it will fly to new home point but will be at 66ft above your take off from ground :?

That's why it is a good idea if anyone loses LOS & begins to panic, before activating RTH push the left stick fully up for a few seconds to gain height & ensure it returns without colliding with anything you may have flown over or that may be in a direct line with you, as it will come straight back!

Good point !!!

Dirty Bird said:
robininni said:

Yes, when I reset the home position I did see the flashing green lights. I reset it to about 100 feet altitude. Anyway, maybe I'll switch to Naza mode and try it. If you say it works, than that is the only variable: Phantom (doesn't work) or Naza (does work).

gmbn.inc said:
That's why it is a good idea if anyone loses LOS & begins to panic, before activating RTH push the left stick fully up for a few seconds to gain height & ensure it returns without colliding with anything you may have flown over or that may be in a direct line with you, as it will come straight back!

Amen, brother! Always stay higher than anything you may have to fly over in case Failsafe is activated, or reset your Home Point at a sufficient altitude so you will clear any objects.

ToThePoint said:
Sorry i am confused. You don't plug it in due to unexpected updates ?
As far my experience goes to get in to naza you have to plug it in. And a update only happens when you confirm that the birds has to be updated by clicking on a box to approve it.
Whats going to happen when for some reason you have to calibrate stuff ?
I check regularly the compass due to the alteration i made on the bird, its 1250 here.
No intentions meant Dirty bird, just a state of my deluded mind here.

Its OK no offense taken. People are reporting that some updates are forced upon you when you connect the Phantom to the Assistant, WITHOUT requesting confirmation. I don't want DJI "forcing" anything down my throat without me explicitly authorizing the update, especially when some of the updates appear to be non-reversible. My bird was calibrated & changed to NAZA mode the day I received her...before she even flew, in fact. It was the first thing I did after I unpacked the box! She flies perfectly, and there has never been a reason for me to reattach to the Assistant. Some of the "improvements" I don't even want, like the reduced 2 m/s descent speed introduced with 3.02. Too damned slow! I'm of the mind if its working, leave it alone. If an update comes out that has something of interest, then I will consider updating. But it will be on MY terms, and MY decision. I'd also like to make sure I can get back to where I was in case I don't like what they changed.

If I have to calibrate, I will pull the ethernet cable before running the Assistant and attaching the Phantom so I don't get an update stuffed down my throat.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20