Returned 3D, trying to get a version 1

Reaction score
I called B&H today as I had to return my H3-3D gimbal I got as it was toast. Knowing that there are 2 versions, I asked them to try and send me a version 1 (without the ribbon). We'll see what I get on Wednesday. The boxes are labeled so if they had one I'm sure they will send that one. I just like the connection better. Fingers crossed.

I received my new gimbal from B&H and it was a version 1 :)

So far, everything has updates fine and it appears to work great. x1 channel didn't need to be calibrated. Everything is updated and I hope to take it ona night flight tonight. Fingers crossed :)

mrand said:
I called B&H today as I had to return my H3-3D gimbal I got as it was toast. Knowing that there are 2 versions, I asked them to try and send me a version 1 (without the ribbon). We'll see what I get on Wednesday. The boxes are labeled so if they had one I'm sure they will send that one. I just like the connection better. Fingers crossed.

I received a v1.1 H3-3D from them last week, called them yesterday asking to return it for a v1.0, and they said:
1) you really want v1.1 for all the future product compatibilities coming (yeah right)
2) we're out of v1.0 anyway
3) more [flimsy] cables coming next week, so don't worry if the only one we sent you breaks

Wonderful...

Kelly

Latest firmware and it all seems great except after 3 good flights, my FPV flickers on the monitor. It looks great, goes black, then looks great and then goes black. Very odd. Not running the interference board so could that be the issue.

i think DJI didn't have the patents.
i have version 1 and am glad i got mine when i did.
the **** is that ribbon ****? i think they want it to break so you're fuct and have to buy a new one. :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
the **** is that ribbon ****? i think they want it to break so you're fuct and have to buy a new one. :shock:

Can someone post a photo??? What are you talking about? There is literally a cable coming out of the USB port where the SD card??

I thought I had the latest version... all is internal like the 2D ?? I guess I have v1?

CactusJackSlade said:
Kelso Kubat said:

Can someone post a photo??? What are you talking about? There is literally a cable coming out of the USB port where the SD card??

I thought I had the latest version... all is internal like the 2D ?? I guess I have v1?

This is what the latest version looks like, you'll note there's no plug on the backplate like before, now there's just the flimsy little ribbon cable holding a USB connector to go in the port on the side of the camera:

25XTZMql.jpg

3SL8cG6l.jpg

My guess is that the big plug on the older models (including 2D) had been identified as the source of some problems with the 3D (such as the ones that led to the introduction of the interference board), and this is their way around that.

OI Photography said:
My guess is that the big plug on the older models (including 2D) had been identified as the source of some problems with the 3D (such as the ones that led to the introduction of the interference board), and this is their way around that.
I don't think that is the case. I heard DJI were having problems sourcing a consistent supplier for the proprietary GoPro backplug system, and that possibly they didn't hold a license to utilise it too. Of course, this is all second hand info as DJI are pretty non-transparent regarding publicising these things.

Another reason may be to keep production costs down in terms of Lightbridge/3D owners, i.e, not having to produce two versions of the 3D, although apparently people are reporting the backplug system works fine with Lightbridge so not sure this is a legitimate reason for switching to the flimsy ribbon cable solution.

Either way, lots of v1 owners report their 3D's work just fine. Personally, I had serious interference issues with my v1.1 before sending it back and getting a refund. Before I did so, I tested the 2D backplug mod on the v1.1 and it actually eliminated the audio interference I was getting using the standard v1.1 USB system.

Jaybee,

Can you describe the nature of the interference you were having with the v1.1 gimbal? Or point me to a post that does so? I have a broken+repaired v1.0 that isn't quite 100% in its behavior (crash due to TBE), a new v1.1, a functional 2D, and a bin parts 2D. Trying to decide what to do here in Franken-gimbal's lab.

I am also seeing less flight control range on my new P2 + v1.1 gimbal + IRC 600mW vTx than I am on my older P2 + v1.0 gimbal + IRC 250mW vTx. Haven't yet started shuffling the components to determine the source of signal degradation.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Jaybee,

Can you describe the nature of the interference you were having with the v1.1 gimbal? Or point me to a post that does so? I have a broken+repaired v1.0 that isn't quite 100% in its behavior (crash due to TBE), a new v1.1, a functional 2D, and a bin parts 2D. Trying to decide what to do here in Franken-gimbal's lab.

I am also seeing less flight control range on my new P2 + v1.1 gimbal + IRC 600mW vTx than I am on my older P2 + v1.0 gimbal + IRC 250mW vTx. Haven't yet started shuffling the components to determine the source of signal degradation.

Kelly
Sure Kelly, have a look at my video linked in this post and this post for my 2D mod findings.

I documented my experience with it all in that same thread.

WOW!

So much for a "clean" setup.... I'm glad I have the version I do. I'm sorry, but what BS, I would be pissed.... and now I'm worried because I want to install one on my Action Drone AD-1... this is disappointing...

wkf94025 said:
Jaybee,

Kelly

All I can tell you is I went ahead and Franken-gimbaled mine with a 2D plug on my 3D v2 and it is working fine.

ChimayMan said:
Lots of virtual hand wringing about nothing IMO.

Other gimbal manufacturers have used cables to successfully access the GoPro's USB port for FPV and charging (Tarot...).

Don't let facts interrupt the pity party though.

A cable is one thing and a ribbon is something else...

TexasHighDef said:
All I can tell you is I went ahead and Franken-gimbaled mine with a 2D plug on my 3D v2 and it is working fine.

Glad to hear! That surgery is now on my growing Phantom to do list.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
TexasHighDef said:

Glad to hear! That surgery is now on my growing Phantom to do list.

Kelly

Just make sure you flip the little black bar on the white ribbon connector up and it should go smooth for you.

I also received the new H3-3D version 1.1 Gimbal from BH and really not crazy about it. The cable arrangement is really flimsy especially the connection to the GoPro side mini-USB. That led me to ask, what are the advantages of the new gimbal version?

I have this version too, and I broke the connector right away. Using an old usb cable style connection now, and have the ribbon tucked away. On another note, my gimbal is odd in that with my Hero3+ I have to tape a nickel to the top of the camera in order for it to work properly. It took me quite some time to discover this. Wonder if there is another way to fix it? Otherwise it reaches the limits of up or down and just jars or bounces the camera. With the nickel the gimbal works awesome.

rEvoPilot said:
I have this version too, and I broke the connector right away. Using an old usb cable style connection now, and have the ribbon tucked away. On another note, my gimbal is odd in that with my Hero3+ I have to tape a nickel to the top of the camera in order for it to work properly. It took me quite some time to discover this. Wonder if there is another way to fix it? Otherwise it reaches the limits of up or down and just jars or bounces the camera. With the nickel the gimbal works awesome.

Sounds like your gimbal isn't balanced. These are supposedly balanced in the factory. Might be worth a chat with your supplier.

Bmews

BMEWS said:
rEvoPilot said:

Sounds like your gimbal isn't balanced. These are supposedly balanced in the factory. Might be worth a chat with your supplier.

Bmews

Oddly enough it works fine with a Hero3 - I am wondering if the reduced weight of the Hero3+ has something to do with this. The nickel seems to work when placed anywhere along the top of the camera. The performance difference is profound. I went from unusable to working perfectly. I am going to take this up with the company that I got it from, although I am pretty sure they are slammed with ZenMuse returns at the moment, I might as well get in line. In the mean time I will refer to my Phantom as "The Flying Nickel"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik