Return to home issue

Reaction score
I am totally new to flying drones. I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I just ran into an issue and would like to know if there is a programming resolution. While out flying it this evening, I experimented in landing the drone on my neighbors driveway which was about 200 yards away. I was up about 200' and brought it down to his driveway. When I got down to about 30', I lost signal and the drone attempted to return to home. In doing so, it only rose to about 90' before it began its home return. 90' was not high enough to clear a tree in its path. Luckily I gained signal back and was able to raise it to clear the tree. Can the drone be programmed to raise to a higher altitude before it begins to fly home? Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: jeronesi2k2002
You can set a higher Return-to-Home Altitude in the "Main Controller Settings" section of DJI GO. Keep in mind that this setting can only be changed while DJI GO is connected to your Phantom. Also, it'll be reset after installing new firmware.

You can set a higher Return-to-Home Altitude in the "Main Controller Settings" section of DJI GO. Keep in mind that this setting can only be changed while DJI GO is connected to your Phantom. Also, it'll be reset after installing new firmware.
why don't people read up before they fly these things really

Got it!!! It was set for 30 meters. I bumped it up to 85. Thank you!!

why don't people read up before they fly these things really

I did plenty of reading up on this. So I missed something. Isn't this what a forum is for? Maybe someday I will know it all like you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: dudemang
I did plenty of reading up on this. So I missed something. Isn't this what a forum for? Maybe someday I will know it all like you do.
go on you tube and watch some videos plus you might want to bump up the height some more just to be safe

I have mine at 200 feet just to be safe if you are above the height you set it will come back at that height so if you have lets say 150 and your flying at 175 it will come back at 175 if your lower than your rth height then it will climb to what you have set also don't hit rth when its close to you bad things happen

What is the recommended height?
Higher than anything around you! Being facetious, but it's true, you want RTH to be higher than anything that might be in the path home. And remember, heights are all relative to the home or take off location, so don't forget to tak any terrain changes into account.

I use 100 meters. But be ware of your surroundings.

Any time you go lower when you are any distance away runs the risk of signal loss.

I did plenty of reading up on this. So I missed something. Isn't this what a forum is for? Maybe someday I will know it all like you do.
I think he was trying to make the point that this is such a basic and very very important setting, which would have been hard to miss if you had read the manual. But I kind of disagree with you on the point of having a forum is not to go over basic things that are clearly covered in the manual, but more in depth things that may not be covered in the manuals or to discuss mods and repair topics.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: flpholt
I read somewhere that if you move stick up or down during the RTH process that it will stop climbing and return at the height it was when you moved the stick.If this is correct you need to take care .

Just to add my 2c's. If you are flying higher your RTH altitude setting and RTH is initiated the bird will return above the home point BEFORE going to it's set altitude and landing. Just the opposite of it's normal usage; rising first then flying home. I found this out worrying about it maybe lowering first....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers