Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Return to home height

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by terry s, Jul 13, 2015.

1. terry s

Hey all,
    I'm looking to do a lot of over hill and valley shots and wondered, how does the return to home work around that?
    Does it simply fly home the height when you engaged RTH or is there some other magic that happens?

Also, and sorry to put two questions in one post... when flying low over the ground and the ground sensors are active, will it climb and descend based on the ground variations? (under the 3 metres that is)

2. domdoha

1. There is a RTH altitude setting in the application. When you will trigger RTH it will desend to that level and fly back to jome.

2. I watch a few videos which are positive that bird is adjusting its altitude according to the ground. But there is nothing in the official manual about that. So it is not a guaranteed action.

terry s and Turbazz like this.
  3. msinger

Approved Vendor

When RTH is initiated, your Phantom will ascend to the RTH altitude and then start returning to the home point. If you press the throttle while it's ascending, it'll stop ascending and start returning to the home point at its current altitude.

No. VPS just helps to keep your Phantom stable. You'll need to manually ascend as needed to ensure you do not crash into the ground.

terry s likes this.
  4. Aramis

When you initiate RTH, if the Phantom is above defined RTH height, it'll stay at its current height.
    If below, it'll climb to the RTH defined height.

terry s and SnoozeDoggyDog like this.
  5. BenDronePilot

When RTH is triggered the Phantom will stay at its current altitude if it is above your pre defined altitude. However if your Phantom is below your RTH altitude setting then it will ascend to that altitude. Never will your Phantom drop below or descend from its current altitude when an RTH is triggered. Anyway once your Phantom is at the height it needs to be if it wasn't already, it then flys in a straight line above the marked home position followed by a brief pause before descent to a landing and engine shut off.

30secs and terry s like this.
  6. Brad Pierce

After reading threads on RTH. It needs to be qualified. RTH is at an altitude "above the home designation altitude". And not above the ground it happens to be over. I think there should be a designation like AHP "above home point". In aviation we always designate altitude either MSL or AGL. Neither of which RTH applies to. Imho

terry s and SnoozeDoggyDog like this.
  7. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Phantom only knows one height - and that's the height of the home point.
    Everything else is measured as above or below home point.
    The Phantom doesn't know what sea level or ground level is.

Brad Pierce and terry s like this.
  8. 30secs

And I'll add that toy can and should always adjust the RTH height level even mid flight if you need higher Clarence.

9. RoyVa

Best to climb up at home then look around FPV if you see something higher, climb some more until you see you are clear the set that clear line of sight as your RTH height.

10. Skylark

Although I have units set as imperial, it seems to be confusing when setting the RTH height as it gives me a range of heights in meters. Seems odd!

11. SteelGator

We have clearance, Clarence.
    - Roger Murdock

iquadtography likes this.
  12. RoyVa

Yep have to calculate 3.28 ft per meter. Have a nice day!